[RELz] Storefront

Arthmoor

storefront-logo.jpg

Congratulations on your recent marriage! Your spouse has a plan though. They would like to keep from going mentally insane from boredom while you're gone for weeks on end adventuring in strange lands. So they've informed you they'll be setting up a shop to keep busy while you're away. Except for one small detail. They want to do so from your shared abode. Does this really make sense? Should your spouse be putting the family home at risk in such a manner? No! They certainly should not. Every major city where you can buy a house has a market area that should have enough space to accommodate a small trading stall to serve this purpose. The only difference is that your spouse will not offer to buy, sell, or let you invest when they are not at the stand.

So this mod will do exactly that. Now your spouse will operate a store from the market area in the city you are currently living in. Your spouse will man this stall during the normal daylight hours, then return home at night. You can come and collect your profits at any time just like normal. Yes, even though it's a bit daft, this will work for the Hearthfire houses as well since Bethesda made no provisions for turning off the shop functions when living in a Hearthfire home. If you have Thirteen Oranges' Laintar Dale and/or Oakwood installed, the market stand will be set up next to one of these locations instead since the two villages are close enough to be within walking distance of the houses in The Pale and Falkreath.

As an added bonus, the shop will relocate with you if you move to a new city and there will be a chest at the stall that you can add items to in order to have them "sold" to the general public. The chest will be emptied out each day to simulate having sold the goods, and a varied amount of gold will be added to the standard marriage profits you can collect from your spouse. This provides not only a cool way to make some extra cash, but also to trim down your junk inventory in a somewhat more realistic way.

If you choose to move into your spouse's original house (wherever that may be) then they will not operate a stand even if it's in one of the supported locations. Bethesda's spouse setup does not support this and I do not have any intention on editing the marriage quest to change this. Your spouse will almost certainly have an AI routine to follow when living in their house anyway. You will not have access to the chest to deposit your unwanted junk in while you are choosing to live in their home.

Assuming certain conditions are met in mod added homes, this could also provide a means for allowing the spouse to run a shop from a mod added house.

Download Locations

AFK Mods

Installation Requirements

Official Skyrim patch 1.9.32.0.8 or greater.
Official Hearthfire DLC.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the Storefront.esp and Storefront.bsa files into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling

Due to the nature of Skyrim mods, especially those adding scripts, it is strongly discouraged to attempt uninstalling a mod from your active game. Any mod that is more than pure mesh or texture replacements has the possibility to leave behind permanent changes to your save that you may not want. This is not something modders can correct for. It is how the game was designed by Bethesda. No support will be provided for anyone who uninstalls this mod from an active game and continues on with that save.

To remove the mod: Delete the Storefront.esp and Storefront.bsa from your Data folder. Then reload your game as usual.

Load Order

Should be set to load alongside other mods affecting cities.

Load before Open Cities Skyrim.

LOOT should be used for optimal placement.

Compatibility

100% compatible with Open Cities Skyrim.

This mod will generate compatibility problems with any other mod adding market stands to the 5 vanilla closed cities that may end up occupying space close to them.

The same is true of any mod which may extensively alter the areas in front of the 3 Hearthfire houses.

No navmeshes have been edited in this mod so there should be no trouble from navmesh conflicts.

Any mods which alter the RelationshipMarriageFIN quest and change how the spouse's store settings or house assignment settings work will likely interfere.

Should be fully compatible with marrying Vilja as she is set to trigger the vanilla marriage system once her wedding quest concludes.

Serana as a spouse is not compatible because her "Mental Model" quest runs at too high a priority and any mod shutting that down would break most of her functions anyway.

Known Issues

When first initializing itself, the mod will throw one error in the Papyrus log about being unable to manipulate a "None" object. This is expected and will not happen again on subsequent updates.

In a game started on versions 1.0.2 through 1.0.6, the control quest alias for the player could be wiped out with no way to reset it. If this has happened to you, then the spouse will no longer be able to use the stall for the life of that save. This was due to the bug just fixed in 1.0.7 which has been around for 2 years now. Several methods were tried to repopulate the alias without success on a damaged save.

New games begun from 1.0.7 onward will be fine, as will games started on version 1.0.1 or 1.0.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

Arthmoor, you said you wanted to take a break from USKP ! How many other mods will you make instead ? :X Any news about Keld-Nar ?

Well, see, this is what happens when several things are piled up and get worked on slowly over time and then continually interrupted by a mountain of bugfixes :P

Once that's out of the way then the other stuff gets done. Keld-Nar will see its due soon enough, but that will take much longer to actually finish since it will need some quests and dialogue to go with it too.

Version 1.0.1

The script to handle when a spouse is killed (yes, most can be without mods) was left out.
Support has been added for Thirteen Oranges' Laintar Dale and Oakwood, which are both close enough to two Hearthfire houses for the spouse to operate the stands there if these mods are installed.
Service package time has been adjusted to 8am-6pm so the spouse will return home at a reasonable hour to perform in-house AI routines.
The vendor services package will no longer prevent spouse followers from staying with the player.
Profits can no longer be collected if your spouse is also your follower. They can't very well run a shop while out adventuring after all.

• 4 weeks later...

I received the following papyrus errors after getting married (with this mod installed):

[12/18/2013 - 04:09:19PM] error: File "tos_oakwood_hf.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
<unknown self>.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "<native>" Line ?
[ARTHSFStorefrontQuest (130012CD)].ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.RelocateShop() - "ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.psc" Line 133
[ARTHSFChangeLocation01 (13002E46)].ARTH_QF_SFChangeLocation01_02002E46.Fragment_2() - "ARTH_QF_SFChangeLocation01_02002E46.psc" Line 8
[12/18/2013 - 04:09:19PM] error: File "tos_laintardale_hf.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
<unknown self>.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "<native>" Line ?
[ARTHSFStorefrontQuest (130012CD)].ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.RelocateShop() - "ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.psc" Line 137
[ARTHSFChangeLocation01 (13002E46)].ARTH_QF_SFChangeLocation01_02002E46.Fragment_2() - "ARTH_QF_SFChangeLocation01_02002E46.psc" Line 8
[12/18/2013 - 04:09:19PM] error: Cannot call RemoveAllItems() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[ARTHSFStorefrontQuest (130012CD)].ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.RelocateShop() - "ARTH_SF_StorefrontQuestScript.psc" Line 194

I don't use this "Thirteen Oranges' Laintar Dale and Oakwood" mod you referred to (in the post above). Could the error be caused by not having it installed?

The "can't find these files" one is normal, ignore that. The other one where it can't remove all items on a None, that will happen once and then go away after.

Thanks for clearing that up with those errors.

I also noticed a possible placement issue with the spouse's vendor stall in Whiterun [screenshot]. I don't know if this is a problem in other locations or not. It's not really that big of a deal, but I thought you may at least like to be aware of it (if you're not already).

Edit: I noticed that there are other placement issues with the spouse's vendor stalls in other locations. At Lakeview Manor, the same thing happens as is shown in the screenshot of Whiterun (above).

I also noticed this issue (screenshot) with the stand in Windhelm. I don't know if this will happen with all spouses (or if it's just a problem with Sylgja).

• 2 months later...

Version 1.0.2

Added support for Open Cities Skyrim.
Windhelm store setup has been tweaked a bit due to problems with the slanted stand.

Version 1.0.2a

Corrupted form ID in Windhelm corrected.

Version 1.0.2a

Corrupted form ID in Windhelm corrected.

I can confirm that this fixed the problem with the Windhelm vendor stand not showing up and also fixed the papyrus log errors.

• 1 month later...

Hrm, not sure if that's going to be fixable - the whole reason I used the platforms at all was to avoid the landscape edits.

Bigger platform would mean big enough to raise it higher, which is only going to disrupt the marker in front that any wandering NPCs who happen by would use and make the stand too high for them to actually reach.

Also, Papyrus bake-in will come into play because if you raise it, the chest and marker need to be moved, and they can't be on an existing game where the mod is already installed.

• 2 months later...

Version 1.0.3

Raised the stand at Windstad Manor slightly so the spouse won't be partially sunken into the snow. This change will not take effect on an existing save.

Version 1.0.4

Corrected a wild edit the CK inserted into the Tamriel worldspace that was causing lag.
Added framework to allow other mod authors to register their mods with Storefront so that shop relocation can be assigned by their own scripts rather than needing to rely on my mod having to update instead.

A caution on this: There is no safeguard available for removing a mod while the shop is still pointed at that mod's assets! If your chest has a bunch of items in it and the spouse is currently assigned to run a shop there, those items in the chest WILL BE LOST FOREVER! There is nothing I can do about this. Always relocate your shop to a vanilla location before you consider removing a house mod that has support enabled.

Version 1.0.5

Set the Storefront spouse alias up with internal vendor factions to avoid some issues that were discovered while testing the new mod support.
Removed all edits to vanilla and BYOH factions as they are no longer needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Version 1.0.6

Merged various fixes from USKP and UHFP updates.

• 7 months later...

As I was testing this with my Serana mod I noticed a few minor things:

• The Storefront faction aliases that limit shop times from 8 am to 6 pm don't seem to prevent your spouse from selling to you outside of those times. I think this is because the vanilla faction aliases then kick in, which allow 24 hour sales.
  • ARTHServicesSpouseSpellsSF and ARTHServicesSpouseApothecarySF both check JobSpellFaction to assign a spouse. As a result, the spouse is placed into both factions. Usually this means that the spouse will only sell spells and not alchemy ingredients. (This is also a vanilla issue, I submitted it in TracDown).
  • ARTHServicesSpouseMiscVendorSF and ARTHServicesSpouseSpellsSF have a 24 hour schedule instead of the 8 am to 6 pm schedule intended.

Quick edit: Just did a quick test to confirm the first issue and setting the 8am to 6pm schedule on the vanilla packages as well prevents the spouse from selling during off-hours. I'm not sure if it will be possible to avoid them selling from home without either modifying the vanilla faction assignments on those aliases, removing them or replacing them with your customized ones.

One other quick thought. Spouses immediately start working at their store after marriage, even before they've had the "I'm opening a shop" talk with your character and been added to the merchant faction. That might be intentional on your part but it might be worth considering adding a condition to that package that the spouse has had that talk first.

Thanks for those. All has been addressed now. Just need to do an update at some point :P

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.0.7

Spouse apothecary faction was incorrectly conditioned to check if the spouse was a member of the spell vendor faction.
The spell vendor and misc vendor operation times were incorrectly set to 0-24 when they should have been 8-18 like the others.
Your spouse should only start working the stand once they've been added to the merchant faction after telling you they plan to run a store.
An old bug introduced in version 1.0.2 causes the aliases in the control quest to spontaneously clear without warning. This was due to the game not correctly handling a script command to fill the player's alias for the control quest when it first initialized.

In a game started on versions 1.0.2 through 1.0.6, the control quest alias for the player could be wiped out with no way to reset it. If this has happened to you, then the spouse will no longer be able to use the stall for the life of that save. This was due to the bug just fixed in 1.0.7 which has been around for 2 years now. Several methods were tried to repopulate the alias without success on a damaged save.

New games begun from 1.0.7 onward will be fine, as will games started on version 1.0.1 or 1.0.