[RELz] Provincial Courier Service

Arthmoor

provincial-courier-service.jpg

Skyrim's courier is an industrious young lad who can be seen all over the province, yet doesn't seem to have anywhere to live and/or work. He seems able to find you at will, but what if you wanted to find HIM? Even if it would be a meaningless encounter, one should still expect a living breathing NPC that takes part in the world to have some place to work at and call home. No longer will the poor courier simply be dragged from his mystery cell and dropped in front of you to make his deliveries. Thus is born the Provincial Courier Service.

This mod is a simple immersion/realism mod that provides a small shack outside of Whiterun along the main road, next to Honningbrew Meadery.

What This Mod Does

• Provides a home for Skyrim's default courier NPC who hands out letters for various quests.
  • Courier deliveries will now occur in person nearly anywhere in Skyrim.
  • Optional home delivery service will instead deliver messages to one vanilla or DLC house of your choosing.
  • Optional on screen message to let you know a delivery has been made.
  • Can also approach the courier at his office and receive mail deliveries there.

Download Locations

AFK Mods

Installation Requirements

Official Skyrim patch 1.9.32.0.8 or greater.
Requires Official Dawnguard DLC.
Requires Official Hearthfire DLC.
Requires Official Dragonborn DLC.
Requires SKSE 1.7.3 or higher.
Requires SkyUI 5.0 or higher.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the Provincial Courier Service.esp and Provincial Courier Service.bsa files into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling

Simply remove the Provincial Courier Service.esp and Provincial Courier Service.bsa files from your Data folder. Steam users must unsubscribe first.

Changes have been designed to be fully reversible so the vanilla courier system will be restored to normal if the mod is removed.

Load Order

Best placed near other city modifications. Must load before Open Cities Skyrim if that is installed.

LOOT should be used for optimal placement.

Compatibility

Mods altering the vanilla courier's base NPC record, his placed reference, or his AI packages will be incompatible.

Any mods editing the navmeshes or landscape in cells 7,-5 and 6,-5 will need a compatibility patch. The navmesh edits are based on those fixed by the USKP.

Any mod which alters the following scripts will be incompatible:

WICourierScript.psc
QF_WICourier_00039F82.psc

Note that these two scripts are based on the versions available from USKP 2.0.0 but the USKP is not required as a master for this mod.

Credits

Hanaisse - Mailbox and scroll meshes provided for the various houses, as well as valuable playtesting to make sure it all works.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

• Like 2

Version 1.1

Relocated to the empty space next to Honningbrew Meadery. Should put it out of the way of several major Whiterun altering mods.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just posted a minor item placement bug report on the Nexus thread for this mod but I am unsure where you would prefer such reports to be listed so I am duplicating it here. Feel free to remove this post if you want to keep this thread tidy...

I have found an issue with the placement of one of the items inside the building in version 1.1 of the mod.

BUG : As you enter the building and look to the left at the table with the writing materials and books on it, there is a sack underneath the lefthand side of that table which protrudes through the surface of the table.

It is visible at 1:01 on the video just after entering the building.

I am seriously impressed with the quality of the single-room house. So many "My First Home" nodders just do the square room with everything round the edges... you have incorporated partition walls and a stepped floor as well as appropriate clutter! Very nicely done.

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.2

Relocated once more due to an unforeseen conflict with the Battle of Whiterun. Location data changes caused the battle camp to fail to appear properly.
Added a custom sign for the courier office.

Please be aware that if you have experienced the bug with the CW and it was caused by this mod, I cannot fix that. You'll need to reload a save prior to starting the battle, which tends to begin well before the actual camp shows up. If you can't get Rikke or Galmar to advance the plot, you're bitten and need to load an older save.

• 4 weeks later...

Arthmoor:

I've experienced an issue with this mod, where the courier stops delivering letters (messages) to me and doesn't seek me out anymore. It seems as though it has been happening for a long time, because when I walked up to his home and talked to him him gave me several letters about events that had happen some 30 days ago or more (in-game time). Here is a save file (if you need it) to help you figure out the issue (when time permits). The save is right near the shack and I hadn't yet activated his dialogue where he gives me several letters. I don't think that any of my other mods should be conflicting with this, but here is my mod list in case it would help.

On a slightly different subject with this mod, papyrus gives these warnings if the mod is removed:

[01/11/2014 - 04:33:17PM] warning: Variable ::PCSDelivering_var on script wicourierscript loaded from save not found within the actual object. This variable will be skipped.
[01/11/2014 - 04:33:17PM] warning: Variable ::PCSDoOnce_var on script wicourierscript loaded from save not found within the actual object. This variable will be skipped.

I'd assume these warnings are harmless, because in your notes for the mod you claim that removing the mod is safe (changes made by it are completely reversible). I just wanted to make certain, before I remove this mod temporarily (on my game) to see if things will reset back to normal with the courier (from what I mentioned happened above.

• 4 weeks later...

Version 1.2.1

The WICourier quest which controls his deliveries was not being stopped once they had been made which would have prevented him from running more deliveries later.
Adjusted landscaping behind the house to unbury a clay deposit added by Hearthfire.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something strange with NPC's dialogue that wander near the courier's shack. They will say things like "Welcome, do come in!" or "I trust you're not planning any trouble, what can I do for you friend?". It's almost like they think they own the shack. I observed this with guards and also once with Alfhild Battle-Born, who happened to be wandering by on her way to the farm outside of Whiterun.

Screenshot

• 1 month later...

Version 1.2.2

Fixed a broken navmesh connection on the road northeast of the courier's house.
Removed excess navmesh data to prevent conflicts with Cutting Room Floor.

I noticed something strange with NPC's dialogue that wander near the courier's shack. They will say things like "Welcome, do come in!" or "I trust you're not planning any trouble, what can I do for you friend?". It's almost like they think they own the shack. I observed this with guards and also once with Alfhild Battle-Born, who happened to be wandering by on her way to the farm outside of Whiterun.

Screenshot

I think the dialogue for guards are more or less standard, so I doubt there is an issue.

Version 1.2.2

Fixed a broken navmesh connection on the road northeast of the courier's house.

Removed excess navmesh data to prevent conflicts with Cutting Room Floor.

Thanks for the update. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Version 1.2.4

Split the house location into exterior and interior components so NPCs passing through won't ask if the player is lost.
Added radiant keywords, ledger, and strongbox to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Thieves Guild fishing jobs and heist jobs.
Added radiant object keywords to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Companions animal extermination quests.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone experienced the courier getting stuck somewhere and not being able to get to the player? This happened to me recently and I found him on the coast near the College of Winterhold standing on some ice and he just would not move even after giving me his deliveries that had been piling up as a result of him not being able to get to me.

I did a "recycleactor" on him and he poofed back to his house and he resumed like nothing had happened.

I recall this happening to me before a while ago, I'm not sure if this is a vanilla issue or an issue with this mod, but something was keeping him there and it wasn't the pretty coastline sunsets :P

• 1 month later...

Probably a navmesh issue with the specific area he got stuck. Likely not worth trying to fix over water either.

Perhaps reinstating the teleporting function like vanilla might get him out of that? Say if it were to check to see of a delivery is made and if it hasn't after a certain amount of days teleport him back home?

Kind of hard to reinstate something that hasn't been taken out though. That teleport still exists.

Version 1.2.5

Rotated the house slightly to make space between it and the bridge if you are using Skyrim Bridges.
Navmesh corrections were needed due to a broken cell border northeast of the house that was causing NPCs to navigate through the river instead.
Slight AI pack adjustments to keep the courier from following if the player is trespassing.

• 4 months later...

Arthmoor, I noticed you made some proper LOD for all your latest villages expansions mods. You may want to do it too for the courier shack.

Yep, planning to, just haven't gotten to it yet :P

• 10 months later...

Version 2.0.0

Overhauled the courier system to deliver pending messages to one of the houses in the vanilla game or official DLCs. This system can be toggled in an MCM menu. You must own the house you select for delivery or the system will default back to sending the courier out to find you.
Mod now requires all 3 official DLCs as well as SKSE and SkyUI. All future development will continue on this branch ONLY.

• Like 1

Nice new courier system, and MCM support is highly appreciated, thanks.

However, I'm performing a french translation and I'm facing an issue :

PCS-SKSE-SKYUI.jpg

As you can see the places where the mail should be delivered remain untranslated. I can't find these texts in any record from the esp, nor interface file, nor scripts source (unless I missed something).

Can you help me, please ?  :huh:

They're in the script properties for the config menu.

Uh, nice. The PlayerHouseNames property from ARTHPCSMailController quest contains these various arrays of strings. No available translation tool displays these fields. Not a big deal, I'll report this to McGuffin and I'm sure he'll take care of this. But... does any of your other mods and USLEEP use this kind of property ? If so, then I may have missed them when translating...  :(

Only the ones using MCM menus since that's the only way they provide to name the menu pages and options within them.

I suppose there could be other instances of this but I have no idea because I don't generally pay that much attention to properties we aren't looking at for doing bug fixes.

I couldn't even tell you if text strings in Papyrus properties get localized or not.

• 1 month later...

Only the ones using MCM menus since that's the only way they provide to name the menu pages and options within them.

I suppose there could be other instances of this but I have no idea because I don't generally pay that much attention to properties we aren't looking at for doing bug fixes.

Last night I notice a visual glitch in MCM.

20160712154009 1

The mod name is out of bounds.  No big deal though, but for some people like me it looks funny.

20160712154016 1

When I took this picture the mod name on top was slightly out of bounds to the right.

Perhaps change the "Provincial Courier Service" mod name to let say "Skyrim Courier Service" and doing that might correct the visual glitch on both pictures.