[WIP] True Circlet Gems

MadCat221

The gems on circlets are... not gems.  They're gem simulacra.  They're opaque, and look more like plasticky chunks.

Observe my custom-textured Ebony Diamond Circlet, before I had at it in Max and NIFSkope for this project:

gallery_1503_37_127108.jpg

The gem diffuse texture is basically the vanilla circlet gem texture completely desaturated so they're gray.  The rest of the texture set is the same as the original circlet gem (in particular, the Copper and Sapphire circlet).

I decided to do some Maxery, and managed to mimic the way that the clutter gems (flawless diamonds in particular) are set up, to create more "True" gems in the circlet:

gallery_1503_37_264585.jpg

I basically capped the back border on the existing circlet gems, pulled out the bottom cone so it's all gem-like, and then pulled back the circlet's gem sockets so it wasn't clipping.  On the clutter gems, there's an alpha-less normals/facings-inside-out mesh that is part of the gem effect, I replicated it for this too.  It looks even more spectacular panning around it so its enviro cube reflec shader does its thing.  Color is now handled as a vertex color instead of a texture, and it has a completely new shader setup; basically the same BSLightingShaderProperty from the flawless diamond with some specular/enviro tone-down so it's not brightblasting in light, and with the Skinned shader flag enabled.  This is a proof of concept, now comes the long slog of adapting the setup to all of them.

I surmise that ring gems might similarly be modifiable.

shhhhiiiiiinyyyyyyyy.... :stare:

Good news, everyone!  You are now reading my post in the voice of Professor Farnsworth!

And I did a crash test on all the meshes I've altered, and none of them brought the whole works down!  One minor mixup with materials on the Jade Sapphire Circlet on the Khajiit M, but nothing a quick NIFSkope fix can't handle.

Now comes getting the damn rubies to look good, and then compatibility with circlet retex mods.

• 3 months later...