Helgen - An Odd Spider Encounter

Earendil

I reinstalled Skyrim today, and started a fresh game. I thought everything was OK, nothing strange or unusual like my previous insane save. I was about to finish Unbound quest, but just before the exit where the bear was sleeping, I was trying to sneak pass it, I noticed a Frostbite Spider, patrolling the cave exit. That shouldn't be there right? And I think it was a bug (hehe), because the Spider was quite strong. Stronger than the bear and the spiders in the previous room. It killed my character in two hits, Ralof took a few more before going down on his knees. I checked and my load order was correct. I had no other mods installed. What might be the problem? I never encountered such a thing before at that part of the game. If there's a problem I'd like to fix it before going any further.

I know if you re-enter Helgen Keep (later after completing Unbound) and the bandits take over the keep, the bear is replaced by a Frostbite spider. I don't know if there's any connection though to what you're experiencing, but during Unbound there should only be a bear near the exit. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you missed killing one of the spiders in their lair and it somehow followed you, but that seems unlikely.

I don't think it's possible. Because I'm pretty sure I killed all of them, I took my time looting them and the eggs around. Besides, the Spider I'm talking about is clearly "patrolling" in a pattern, it walks to exit and back to where the bear sleeps, stops for a moment like a sitting/idle animation, and repeats. Plus the spider is very, very strong and it's not even a Giant Spider. I can't kill it. Well, Ralof and I can't kill it. It has quite a lot of health and hits like a truck. I started a new game to avoid any such issues (obvious ones at least), I deleted my saves, with hundreds of hours, I don't want to start the game if there's something broken. By the way, I reloaded a save (autosave when first entering the keep) and used "tfc" to check if the spidey is there. It wasn't. But checking later saves somewhere around "Torture room" it spawns. It's just weird.. Could it be just a wild random bug?

I don't think it's possible. Because I'm pretty sure I killed all of them, I took my time looting them and the eggs around. Besides, the Spider I'm talking about is clearly "patrolling" in a pattern, it walks to exit and back to where the bear sleeps, stops for a moment like a sitting/idle animation, and repeats. Plus the spider is very, very strong and it's not even a Giant Spider. I can't kill it. Well, Ralof and I can't kill it. It has quite a lot of health and hits like a truck. I started a new game to avoid any such issues (obvious ones at least), I deleted my saves, with hundreds of hours, I don't want to start the game if there's something broken. By the way, I reloaded a save (autosave when first entering the keep) and used "tfc" to check if the spidey is there. It wasn't. But checking later saves somewhere around "Torture room" it spawns. It's just weird.. Could it be just a wild random bug?

I just started a new game about ten days ago and didn't notice this problem. Are you using the USKP beta 2.0 on this game? It's remotely possibly that the new USKP may have "introduced" this issue, but I highly doubt Arthmoor and his team would have missed this. I am currently using the USKP v. 1.3.3c and that was the version that I started the new game on.

Also, have you tried creating another new character to see if this occurs again? If it doesn't it is likely just an odd random bug. It might be worth checking into this while the latest USKP is in beta, so that it can be corrected in the case that it isn't just a random bug.

Edit: I just tried starting a new game (with the 2.0 beta installed) and went through Helgen Keep (completing "Unbound") and didn't notice the "strong spider" you are talking about, so I'm going to guess you're just experiencing a random bug.

I too recently started a fresh game (along with a complete reinstall of Skyrim) with just USKP  Beta 2.0.0 enabled. I didn't get that problem either.

Hmm. Strange. I'm not using the beta version. It's the latest version uploaded at nexus (version 1.3.3c I think).

I reloaded an autosave (the one when you enter the keep) and played through again, the spider wasn't there this time. I guess it was a random thing. It's just I'm a bit paranoid after my last game was destroyed by corrupt saves, missing scripts and all that sort of stuff. And the fact that I can't interprete papyrus log very well (seriously, who can?) does not helping. It's still full of all sort of missing things, errors, and some are I'm told should be ignored. I don't know which ones are critical though.

When you say you reinstalled Skyrim, are you sure you deleted all the files remained by mods? Because when you tell Steam to uninstall Skyrim (or another game), it will let all the files and folders which were not created at the first installation. It can be scripts, etc.

When you say you reinstalled Skyrim, are you sure you deleted all the files remained by mods? Because when you tell Steam to uninstall Skyrim (or another game), it will let all the files and folders which were not created at the first installation. It can be scripts, etc.

I'm quite sure everything Skyrim related was deleted. I double checked. I just had USKP when that super mutant spider appeared. I guess it was really pissed off that I killed it's brood :grinning:

The one issue I had with helgen was that 2 spiders were dead when I reached that part of the helgen dungeon.

That is odd though.

Hmm. Killed by the bear I guess :) I don't know really, no one seems to know about it either. At first I thought it might just be one of the spiders in the previous room, just spawned at the wrong place or wandered off on its own somehow. But considering how powerful it was I don't think it belonged there at all. It was just impossible to kill as a level 1-2 character. Right now my problem is an Orc called Yatul following me around in Riverwood..

Hmm. Killed by the bear I guess :) I don't know really, no one seems to know about it either. At first I thought it might just be one of the spiders in the previous room, just spawned at the wrong place or wandered off on its own somehow. But considering how powerful it was I don't think it belonged there at all. It was just impossible to kill as a level 1-2 character. Right now my problem is an Orc called Yatul following me around in Riverwood..

No... The bear didn't kill them... I think they died because I originally had the game on Legendary and then put it back on adept and the game forgot to reset their hp so it killed them.

No... The bear didn't kill them... I think they died because I originally had the game on Legendary and then put it back on adept and the game forgot to reset their hp so it killed them.

??

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that on higher difficulties you simply deal less damage and take more damage. Creatures and NPCs have exactly the same health.

??

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that on higher difficulties you simply deal less damage and take more damage. Creatures and NPCs have exactly the same health.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is correct from the info here. I think (if I remember correctly) that Oblivion did increase or decrease NPC health though depending on the difficulty setting.