BlackPete

I've discovered a number of wilderness encounters that have bugs associated with them.

WE24 (A Good Death) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13900)

WE31 (Application Denied) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4

WEDL01b (Bard attacked by bandits) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.1 -- (See bug #19345)

WEDL05 (Thug sent by Louis Letrush) - should be fixed with USKP 2.0.4

WEJS01 (Dead woman with bandits) -  Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13885)

WEJS02 (Balbus) - should be fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13884)

WEJS11 (Namira Cultist Offers the First Bite) - should be fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13886)

WEJS13 (Pilgrim traveling to Tree in Whiterun) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13916)

WEJS18 (Corpses in the aftermath of a dragon attack) - should be fixed with USKP 2.0.4  -- (See bug #14956)

WERJ01 (Mistwatch Escapee) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13915)

WERJ06 (Drinking Companions) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13921)

WERJ13 (Cragslane WE) - Confirmed fixed with USKP 2.0.4 -- (See bug #13979)

Dragonborn DLC

DLC2WE06 (Black Book -- Madman) -- "supposedly" fixed with UDBP 2.0.3 (See bugs #12738 and #15019) -- needs further testing to be sure it is fixed

DLC2WE09 (Cultists vs. Player) -- "supposedly" fixed with UDBP 2.0.1 -- (See bug #14121) -- the one that occurs "in Skyrim" may still be bugged (needs further testing)

They're each controlled by a different quest, so they'd need to be separate entries. If that many of them are not working that's kind of bad. Please verify them on PC with the USKP installed before you open entries for them - we may have already fixed some of those.

Using all the latest unofficial patches prior to the 2.0 beta's (beta's currently installed, but I have not checked any of the following observations against the new version yet).

WEJS01 (Dead Woman with Bandits) -- a dead female Breton and two bandits

I can confirm this one, I'll check the location where they spawned again, but they have been in the same location for a very long time in my current game.

WEJS02 (Balbus)

I can confirm this one as well, Balbus (still alive) is currently on the edge of my Heljarchen Hall property and has been since I purchased the land (100+ hours ago, I'm sure).

WEJS11 (Namira Cultist Offers the First Bite)

This one seems to persist as well, the High Elf might have been cleaned up in my game because a vampire raised it but Sigar (still alive) is hanging around.

WERJ03 (Alik'r Accusation)

I have not encountered this encounter after completing the quest.

Okay then, I'll go ahead and make reports for those of these that other players can confirm (if that's okay). And I'll add the others (if and when) I can confirm that they still persist.

@ Wormheart (Re: WERJ03) -- Did you side with Saadia during My Time in Need? This is when I was continuing to experience the persisting Alik'r Accusation WE. Siding with Kematu (which skips killing him and his men in Swindler's Den) seems to avoid this bug. Note: Kematu and his men would persist in Swindler's Den even after completing the (My Time in Need) quest and if you were to enter Swindler's Den at a later point and kill them (or sometimes they are ALL killed by the bandits that already inhabit the cave), then this RE would start to show up again. I need to check this with the USKP 1.3.3c, because the existing fix that removed the two Alik'r inside the Whiterun gates was fixed with v. 1.1 and may have also solved this problem. WERJ03 is not bugged, it was fixed in an earlier version of the USKP.

I had two others that I didn't to add to the list, mainly because it appeared that they had been at least partially fixed by the USKP.

1. Pilgrim traveling to Tree in Whiterun [WEJS13]- Ardwen is given a cleanup script (USKP v. 1.1), but does her dog cleanup as well? 

2. Application Denied [WE31]- Aspiring mage is given a cleanup script (USKP v. 1.1), but does the wolf (he was trying to raise with the reanimation staff) cleanup as well?

Those "cleanup scripts" you're referring to are for when the NPC dies, not for when their encounters are over and they should be getting deleted.

Each of these wilderness encounters is supposed to clean up after itself when done, but as we've seen in the past that isn't always the case.

Okay, so how would I determine if the following wilderness encounters are not being cleaned up properly? (see below) For example, if Ardwen or the Aspiring Mage are given scripts for when they die, would they still fail to cleanup up if the WE is broken (i.e. that it doesn't shut down properly)?

1. Pilgrim traveling to Tree in Whiterun [WEJS13] - Ardwen is given a cleanup script (USKP v. 1.1), but does her dog cleanup as well? 

2. Application Denied [WE31]- Aspiring mage is given a cleanup script (USKP v. 1.1), but does the wolf (he was trying to raise with the reanimation staff) cleanup as well?

I don't think you're understanding. The way these WE quests generally work is that the encounter gets popped somewhere, you do whatever gets done, and when you leave the area they're supposed to unload and delete when it calls the closing stage.

The body cleanup script isn't even involved in that, and is probably not something that should have been applied to those two NPCs you're talking about.

just i get this right, in all these cases you are talkin about dead bodies not cleaning up? dead bodies left behind by an unfortunate encounter?

mabe the encounter cleanup only cleans up living NPCs, and dead npcs have always to be cleaned up by the dead body cleanup script?

I don't think you're understanding. The way these WE quests generally work is that the encounter gets popped somewhere, you do whatever gets done, and when you leave the area they're supposed to unload and delete when it calls the closing stage.

The body cleanup script isn't even involved in that, and is probably not something that should have been applied to those two NPCs you're talking about.

The part that I wasn't understanding was that the body cleanup scripts are not involved in WE quests. I did realize that WE quests are supposed to unload when leaving the area, which is one reason why I brought this topic up to begin with. Thank you for the clarification.

I may have worded my previous post(s) badly. The encounters that I listed in the original post were not unloading when leaving the area. I'll have to test further on the existing USKP 1.3.3c patch to make sure the ones that they are still unfixed by the USKP.

just i get this right, in all these cases you are talkin about dead bodies not cleaning up? dead bodies left behind by an unfortunate encounter?

mabe the encounter cleanup only cleans up living NPCs, and dead npcs have always to be cleaned up by the dead body cleanup script?

I'm talking about the NPCs (living or dead) that are involved in random wilderness encounters that are supposed to unload upon leaving the area (as Arthmoor pointed out). I am 100% sure that these encounters do not unload on vanilla Skyrim w/ Official Patch-1.9 (no USKP) from testing thoroughly on the Xbox version of the game. I have since switched to playing on PC, and need to confirm that some of encounters are still not unloading as of the latest USKP release.

....Another World Encounter bug....

WE24 (A Good Death) -- Re: Bug #10655 in changelog for USKP 1.3.1

Changelog Fix Description: A Good Death (WE24) does not properly unload and remove the Old Orc if the player kills him, or if the player ignores him and leaves the area. (Bug #10655)

This is not fixed, I can confirm with USKP v. 1.3.3c. I experienced WE24 once (on a brand new game) at (player) level 9 and again at (player) level 13. Strangely, the first time I had this encounter, it unloaded after I left the area, but the second time, it did not unload (even after waiting 30+ days outside of the cell) and the Old Orc and 2 sabre cats are still in the same spot.

--Additionally, when testing this bug back when I was playing on the 360, the second time I experienced the world encounter was when it failed to unload properly as well, which further leads me to believe this somehow didn't get fixed in USKP v. 1.3.1.

Note: I used the (in-game) console command 'setstage WE24 255' and the old orc and two sabre cats properly unloaded from the area. This leads me to believe that somehow WE24 is not getting to stage 255 (which is the shutdown stage) in the CK.

Edit: I have added a tracker report for this-- #13900

Two more bugged World Encounters -- confirmed on a new game (as of USKP v. 1.3.3):

WEJS13 - Pilgrim traveling to Tree in Whiterun

As of USKP v. 1.3.3 (with a new game): Ardwen and her dog route to the Gildergreen in Whiterun, however they persist indefinitely and the world encounter does not end as it should. This causes the random location where she spawns to become bugged, so no other World Encounter will occur at that location.

Using the console command: setstage WEJS13 255 causes the encounter to unload as it should, so this leads me to believe that somehow the quest script is somehow not reaching stage 255 (which is the shutdown stage).

WERJ01 - Frightened Woman / Re: Bug # 11992 -- which is supposed to be fixed with USKP v. 1.2.6

Changelog Fix Description (under v. 1.2.6): The encounter with the Frightened Woman (dunMistwatchPrisonerWERJ01) never removes her from the game after speaking to the player. This will now happen when she unloads from memory and will then terminate the quest she belongs to. [NR] (See: Bug #11992)

This is not fixed, I can confirm with USKP v. 1.3.3c. I experienced WERJ01 once (on a brand new game) at (player) level 8 and again at (player) level 16. Strangely, the first time I had this encounter, the Frightened Woman unloaded after I left the area, but the second time, she did not unload. Using the console command: setstage WERJ01 255 will unload this encounter properly, so somehow the quest is not reaching stage 255 (which is the shutdown stage].

The Frightened Woman still routes a nearby farm or settlement. --Additionally, when testing this bug back when I was playing on the 360, the second time I experienced this world encounter was when it failed to unload properly as well, which further leads me to believe this somehow didn't get fixed in USKP v. 1.2.6.

Edit: I have added Tracdown reports for these-- WEJS13 = #13916 and WERJ01 = #19315

Another world encounter quest is not unloading...

WERJ06 - Drinking Companions

Bug #12338 -- Changelog Fix Description (under v. 1.3.2): The Revelers random quest (WERJ06) should properly terminate now when the NPCs load out of memory after the player leaves. (Bug ) [NR]

This is not fixed, I can confirm with USKP v. 1.3.3c. I experienced WERJ06 once (on a brand new game) at (player) level 5 and again at (player) level 18. Strangely, the first time I had this encounter, the Revelers unloaded after I left the area, but the second time, they didn't. Using the console command: setstage WERJ06 255 will unload this encounter properly, so somehow the quest is not reaching stage 255 (which is the shutdown stage).

The Revelers still route a nearby farm or settlement. --Additionally, when testing this bug back when I was playing on the 360, the second time I experienced this world encounter was when it failed to unload properly as well, which further leads me to believe this somehow didn't get fixed (or fixed completely) in USKP v. 1.3.2.

I have added a Tracdown report for this-- #13921

• 2 months later...

Another update: I've updated the list in the original post. Arthmoor (and the UP team) have been able to fix a few of these for USKP v. 2.0.1, but some are still not unloading for unknown reasons (possibly due to papyrus complications).

• 3 months later...

I think I've figured out the cause of the inconsistent encounter cleanups. The CK has some information associated with the OnInit() function that probably explains this:

If a Quest is set to run on game startup and doesn't have the "Run Once" flag ticked, its OnInit event will fire twice when it starts. Ticking the "Run Once" flag, however, prevents the Quest from being reset when it starts, so in this case its OnInit event will only fire once.

Basically, if "Run Once" is ticked, the quest is NOT properly reset before running again. So if a WE quest has the flag, it's been applied in error. It may indicate something the quest author intended to only run once, but if that's the case, that means Bethesda people are misunderstanding the flag just like we have in the past :P

WE24 (A Good Death) - Has flag. The alias was wrongly configured to not register for loading & unloading. USKP fixed this, may not be retroactive though.

WE31 (Application Denied) - Has flag. Should probably not run again once the player has interacted with the mage somehow.

WE36 (Bounty hunters vs Player) - Does not have flag, but is also not reported to be broken. They will come for you occasionally if your bounty in a hold is high enough.

WEDL01b (Bard attacked by bandits) - Does not have flag. This one's issue was caused by the aliases not having the proper scripts attached to them. It *IS* fixed as a result of that.

WEDL05 (Thug sent by Louis Letrush) - Has flag. Can only be spawned if MS03 stage 225 is done, which requires double crossing Louis Letrush.

WEDL06 (Louis Letrush vs Thug) - Does not have flag. This event is configured to only run if Letrush is still alive. If he dies, it will no longer spawn.

WEJS01 (Dead woman with bandits) - Has flag.

WEJS02 (Balbus) - Has flag.

WEJS11 (Namira Cultist Offers the First Bite) - Had flag. The USKP appears to have removed the Run Once flag from this, which means it should be resetting properly.

WEJS13 (Pilgrim traveling to Tree in Whiterun) - Has flag. Though this quest also needs to be tagged to only run until she's either made it to Whiterun or been killed before then.

WEJS18 (Corpses in the aftermath of a dragon attack) - Has flag.

WERJ01 (Frightened Woman) - Has flag. This quest is being fixed to only run once after actually talking to the woman, but otherwise needs to reset if the player hasn't done so.

WERJ06 (Drinking Companions) - Has flag.

WERJ13 (Cragslane WE) - Has flag.

The two for Dragonborn have not been checked yet but will be once work on UDBP 2.0.4 starts. Based on the above though, I'm reasonably sure that they have the flag too.

Based on these results I'm confident that removing the "Run Once" flag on all of the quests which have it will result in them being able to properly reinitialize on a second instance and then clean up as usual once concluded.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! This adds so much more interesting things to wandering :D /hands the lizard a horker snack

i know i havent tested yet but i have faith XD

I've been able to confirm that "at least" two of these encounters (WE24 and WE31) which weren't unloading properly are fixed now with USKP 2.0.4. I'd assume that the others that had the "run once" flag removed will probably unload as they should too, but I'll need to do some more testing to be absolutely certain.

Edit: I've been able to confirm that most of the rest of them are also fixed. That "run one" flag was definitely the reason why they weren't unloading properly.