Animal Respawn in the Wilderness

BlackPete

More objects for touring carriages to flatten ...

lol, I bet that's not even been considered since everyone just thinks it's normal for the wildlife to thin out so much :P

The die off has been reported for a long time. Between that and the flora problem, Skyrim gets barren pretty fast.

TC version 2 also widens the push area some more (another +25 to the radius). The old value was the width of the cart, the new one is about a sheep wider. Since I cut Scenic's push 9 to 5, I've not even been killing chickens!

The real problem now is guards; they turn and walk toward you to talk, and get stuck in between the driver and the wheels. But there's no "farthest" actor function, there's only "closest" -- and the driver himself is obviously closer. Oh well, they almost never actually die.

Speaking of chickens, it's amazing to hear the clucking as you drive by now! The smallest things....  Good work!

The real problem now is guards; they turn and walk toward you to talk, and get stuck in between the driver and the wheels. But there's no "farthest" actor function, there's only "closest" -- and the driver himself is obviously closer.

The guards always remind of a line I have been reading years ago in a paper on how scientists use to deal with new technologies:

"Once you get rolled over by a new technology, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're a part of the road."

The guards are the proof ...

im not understanding the guard issue....do you mean guards approaching carraiges? Unless you use a real time carraige travel mod how would this happen?

touche but is fixing compatibility for a mod really in the mandate of the uskp?

Umm, nobody is asking for that! We're merely riffing on the implications of more fauna....

Umm, nobody is asking for that! We're merely riffing on the implications of more fauna....

nvm mind just didnt understand some of it then

nvm mind just didnt understand some of it then

That's OK. BTW, the new clucking chickens flip and roll away nicely....

hahah

BTW, the mod is highly recommended.

It also holds one of the top positions in my personal list of the most hilarious mod conflicts ever (together with another mod of course).

• 4 weeks later...

Any word on the wisps and wispmothers? I wonder if the linked refs for each set of spawns will still be set up properly, when they respawn? The only script associated with them is WitchlightActorScript, WispCoreScript, and WispActorScript, and there's nothing in there about whether they should respawn or not. I've got them tagged to do so in my game, but I haven't encountered any yet.

Edit: Okay, so I couldn't help myself and I went and checked this out. I was looking at the one with refID CD768, but other ones seem to be set up the same (i.e. they all have three child wisps).

Setting the respawn flag is enough for the wispmother to appear again, however the wisps won't show up. So looked at WitchlightActorScript, which is attached to the EncWisp actor. At the end of the OnDying event, I see this little nugget:

disable()
	delete()

endEVENT

Ugh... well... shit. So if the PC has encountered and killed that wisp or its wispmother, that wisp is gone for good. The wispmother will appear by herself.

But, I changed the above to:

disable()
	;delete()

endEVENT

Event OnReset()
  Enable()
EndEvent

...keeping the respawn flag ticked of course, and the happy family is all there once again. The linked refs are properly set as well, as the wispmother can still sacrifice them once she gets below 1/2 HP, the wisps won't attack you until you attack one of them or the wispmother, the wisp cores are still there, etc. I'd like another set of eyes to make sure that delete wasn't cleaning up something, but there are no PlaceAtMes besides the cores which already clean themselves up, and these are all placed directly in the world - it's the same actual reference each time. So, I don't think it really needed to be cleaned up, right?

Whether to actually set them up to respawn or not is a separate question. I haven't seen the comment Arthmoor talking about among the wisp stuff at least, though what is clear these are meant to be rare encounters. But respawning them appears at least possible with a few small changes.

Whether to actually set them up to respawn or not is a separate question. I haven't seen the comment Arthmoor talking about among the wisp stuff at least, though what is clear these are meant to be rare encounters. But respawning them appears at least possible with a few small changes.

All I know about the wispmothers is that Arthmoor had some reason to believe that the developers intended them to not respawn (from his comment in post #2 in this thread). I don't think he ever specified on exactly what lead him to that conclusion.