Farkas is being a pain - no jobs...

Screwball

Farkas has stopped giving me jobs - any jobs - in fact he has no job dialog options of any kind, just Training and Follow Me.

Completed Glory of the Dead.

Some time later, Spoke to Farkas (in Jorrvaskr) - no job option.

Spoke to Vilkas, got a Dragon Seekers quest which we completed.

Spoke to Farkas - no job option.

Spoke to Aela, got an Animal Extermination job which I completed.

Spoke to Farkas - no job option.

See where this is leading? I had the identical problem in my previous game too, but not (IIRC) in the game before that. I'm guessing a 1.9 patch ****up.

Can anyone else confirm? If so it's off to Tracdown for me ;)

Load Order:-

Update.esm
HearthFires.esm
SBBasement.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
SBBasementHF.esp
No Killmoves, No Killcams, No Killbites.esp

I can confirm, I've had this problem for a long time. There's a "Talk to the companions for work" quest marker on him, but he has no job dialogue.

Meant to update this - got sidetracked reporting Papyrus errors.

Try following the instructions on UESP. Although they're actually for curing the Farkas/Vilkas issue of them not following the player correctly during "Purity" they also seem to "un-stick" Farkas and allow him to have Job options once more.

It's still a bug, though there are already a number of Bug reports around Purity, some of which are quite old. Need to find them all and see if this has ever been addressed/reported and if not create a new Bug for it.

Use SQV CR13 to see which of the Bros is currently alias'd by the Purity quest.  Use PgUp and PgDown to page through the SQV dump.  It'll be a HexID code, so you'll have to cross-ref to see which of the Bros is it.

After that, get a Glenmoril witch head and try asking them.  If not, keep doing other jobs until they do ask.

(SQV = Console shorthand for ShowQuestVars)

This quest (CR13) requires that you have a witch head available in your inventory. It won't count if one of them is off stored in some container somewhere.

That said, I believe this issue may end up being fixed by the patch for Bug #13688. CR13 is improperly attempting to run things it shouldn't. One thing being that it registers an available quest for the Companions before realizing it's actually been shut down.

Confusion reigns eh? ;)

Thing is - I had all 4 remaining Heads (after curing Kodlak) in my inventory the entire time Farkas was being the proverbial PITA. Although I had stored them away for a while, I knew about the issue of neither brother giving the Purity quest(s) unless you have the heads, so I didn't try until I had picked them up again.

The dumb thing about the Companions quests? They generally attempt to start even when the conditions should be invalid. The whole set of radiants for them is very badly designed. CR13 is especially bad because it's unconditional startup registers it even if it's been stopped by statements after the registration was called. And it does this over and over again, which has probably led your game to the state of confusion it's in now.

Fixing the way the registrations got called should lead to it sorting itself out in time, and unleashing a potential torrent of clogged Papyrus events.

I managed to get Farkas unstuck and complete the Companions questline (and can now do normal jobs for all 3 Companion quest-givers), but I am still getting CR13 issues in the logs (which I'm obviously not reporting any more) long after they should have stopped.

Question then, regarding the expected flood of events. Continue with current game and report what happens, or start a new game in the hope that its logs won't be full of unleashed events?

Continue to play, but don't be surprised if you get a few stray notifications that don't make sense. Papyrus is weird like that and a previous USKP update from last year did something similar though we didn't know it was going to since we had no idea we'd unclogged anything.

Could be fun sorting the wheat from the chaff ;)

Added Dragonborn to my active mods this morning and, unsurprisingly, there are loads of log errors, many duplicating errors which have already been reported (and many fixed) for Skyrim itself but are clearly specific to DB.

Expect one or 2 Papyrus errors to be reported over the next few days :whistle: