[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

2 hours ago, VaultDuke said:

One last question: Are all the hardcoded files embedded in all the various downloads on nexus or do I need to download a special "full" xedit version? 

I checked the latest versions of TES5Edit, SSEEdit and FO4Edit executables, both x86 and x64. Their sizes and crc are different, what leads me to think that we are now on the road to '1 specific app for 1 specific game'...

No, different CRC is probably an upload error when different builds ended up on Nexus under the same version.

You should be getting the latest builds right from xEdit discord anyway if you want to be up to date.

• 4 weeks later...

Some scripts don't work with versions >4.0 of Tes5Edit which do not include the "Skyrim.Hardcoded.keep.this.with.the.exe.and.otherwise.ignore.it.I.really.mean.it.dat" file. The error produced looks like this:

[00:00] Start: Applying script "GrimyCombatScript"
[GCP2.esp] Adding master "Skyrim.esm"
[GCP2.esp] Adding master "Skyrim.exe"
[Skyrim.exe] Loading file
[00:05] Exception in unit mteFunctions line 2038: System Error. Code: 2.
The system cannot find the file specified
[00:05] Error during Applying script "GrimyCombatScript": System Error. Code: 2.
The system cannot find the file specified

This file was included in older versions of Tes5Edit, so loading up my old copy of Tes5Edit 3.2.1 allowed me to run the patcher just fine.

This is an error in the script itself which should be fixed, and this script is not included with tes5edit. None of bundled xEdit scripts do that.

Version 4.0.1:

When I click on a navmesh the first time, the vertices and triangles are numbered. When I click on another, the # numbers all disappear.

Also, additional Edge Link table entries are not showing as yellow changes.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, DayDreamer said:

Version 4.0.1:

When I click on a navmesh the first time, the vertices and triangles are numbered. When I click on another, the # numbers all disappear.

Also, additional Edge Link table entries are not showing as yellow changes.

Array indices are not displayed because they can be different for different columns, the row labels change based on the currently selected column. That is As Designed.

Edge links on their own are irrelevant. Only edge links that are used in triangles are relevant.

PS: Join xEdit discord, this thread is discontinued.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to ask why is there a TES4Edit64.exe file included in the 4.0.2 version.  What purpose does it have and do I need to use it on Windows 7?

On 1/17/2019 at 8:15 AM, zilav said:

PS: Join xEdit discord, this thread is discontinued.

What? :blink:

No longer a support thread for xEdit on AFK Mods. :(

x64 version for cases when you run out of memory with x86 one, otherwise there is no reason to use it (slower).

I can answer questions here, however in xEdit Discord there are at least a dozen of people who can answer too, so the chances to get support in shorter time are better there.

I tend to agree, if only because information in chat rooms becomes lost too easily. I don't really see the harm in keeping a support post going here even if it doesn't get answered right away. People using forums should know to expect slower response times.

And I know, shocker, but not everyone uses Discord either :P

On 3/14/2019 at 1:08 PM, Arthmoor said:

[...] People using forums should know to expect slower response times.

And I know, shocker, but not everyone uses Discord either :P

Or Slack. Or Hangouts nee Gchat. Always hated IRC. No good reason to use any chat for development. And of course I'm mostly checking on random weekends (not even every weekend these days), so forums are always best.

I don't like to sound someone who doesn't appreciate xEdit, but really TESxEdit 4.0 is an exception from that.

Because I feel lost in the new GUI, not mention the new GUI are less user-friendly than it was in the previous versions.

I think it would be better if the user could see a picture about what is new in a new version.

Also, for god sake get rid of the annoying Tips window that's blocking some part of the screen or at least let it be turned off by default.

I know, but why does anyone have to see it before one can turn it off.  That's irritating.

How else would you ever know the feature exists if it isn't enabled by default? I mean, is it that hard to click one checkbox to turn off?

Tips has been implemented in the same fashion as many other programs. Easy to turn off. Easy to stop seeing in the current session, and then have them in the next session. Besides, with all the changes, it gives me something to read while running the new auto-clean. That we all had to do this past week with the latest surprise Bethesda releases.

But I'm not that happy with the old clean being removed. I liked having the intermediate steps for my own work to check that it was doing what I wanted....

Still getting used to 4.x. Have stopped obsessively downloading every new version. Using whatever is on nexus, hoping for stability.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I've got a quick concern: I made myself a Dragonbane sword replacer for Skyrim Special Edition with the .esp file merely implementing the unique model and applying it to all versions of the weapon. I loaded up in the Creation Kit / based the file on "Skyrim.esm", "Update.esm" and "Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esm" so the replacer would for safety also incorporate USSEP's bug fixes when I edited the records. Having saved the plugin, I went on to clean it with SSEEdit's "Quick Auto Clean" and also manually clicked "Clean Masters". It removed all master file dependencies expect for "Skyrim.esm" of course. But isn't "Update.esm" usually a dependency as well for mods, or is this alright in my case? I can trust SSEEdit, can't I? It might be a stupid question but when exactly is Update.esm a dependency which is required / SSEEdit doesn't clean? :wave:

Update will show as a required master if your .esp overrides a record from Update.esm. There really is no need to clean masters in this case. It is good practice to include all DLC as masters for SSE if you distribute it to other users, and USSEP in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, Joat_Mon said:

Update will show as a required master if your .esp overrides a record from Update.esm.

Thank you, sounds reasonable - all versions/records of Dragonbane are part of the initial game and weren't added/altered by any update from Bethesda via "Update.esm".

58 minutes ago, Joat_Mon said:

There really is no need to clean masters in this case. It is good practice to include all DLC as masters for SSE if you distribute it to other users, and USSEP in my opinion.

Why? Wouldn't it be best to have only the master file dependencies which are actually required?

There has been discussion about this on xEdit discord channel and it is the developer's opinion that all mods should include all the Bethesda DLC, as they are required for and a part of Skyrim SE. It does not hurt to include them all as masters as everybody will have them installed.

So either include "Skyrim.esm", "Update.esm", "Dawnguard.esm", "HearthFires.esm", "Dragonborn.esm" (with or without Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esm"?) back again by loading them with the mod in the Creation Kit and then saving or just trust in SSEEdit that it'll clean only the non-required master dependencies properly?

You can add masters with SSEEdit. Quick Auto Clean will do the right thing and will not remove the masters you add. Don't check mark "Clean Masters", it is unfortunate naming, it does not "clean" it just removes the unused masters which will undo the add masters you just did.

Thanky you. May one more please give his opinion on the matter though? Which master files to include with a SSE plugin file: Only the ones required (making use of "Clean Masters" in SSEEdit), Skyrim.esm with Update.esm and all official DLC or even USSEP on top of that?

My opinion is that Skyrim.esm, Update.esm and all official DLC must be included as required masters. I choose to also add USSEP as required master, but I know there are people who feel otherwise.