Size of Magelight Glow Ball

Shadowblade

I am not sure if this is the correct section, but here goes. I really need some help before I go even more insane...   :wallbash:  :frantics:  :bat:  :(  :swear:

I have a custom spell that used the Magelight glow ball as a base effect. I've duplicated everything I need (I think!) and renamed them so there should be no conflicts, but there is something I am missing.

I managed to get the spell to do what I want and even managed to change the colour and size of the Projectile (you have to use NifSkope and change the mesh rather than the textures), but I cannot seem to make the Magelight light ball that sticks to the wall any bigger. Nor can I change it's colour.

Does anyone have ANY idea what I can do? It seems that just changing the scale in the nif should work (it does for the Projectile and ActorFX) but whatever I do does not seem to affect the glowing ball that sticks to the wall.

I've looked at just about everything there is, Projectile, LightLight, SpellLight, FFAim, Static, Impact, Hazard, ActorFX - just can't find it.

Does any one know which nif is used for the light ball that sticks to the wall?

Many Thanks

~.~

My guess would be magic\lightspellstaticlight.nif ?

If not, possibly magic\impactlightspell.nif.

Cheers,

Since I posted I tried those and adjusted all the Scale values from 1 to 2, but the ball is now about 5 times as big!

Sigh.   :crazy:  I went through everything and changed them to 1.5 but they are still the same size.

And I don't know which nif and which specific setting did it.

PAH!

Which branches did you upscale? I don't think changing any NiNodes will work, possibly only the NiTriShapes.

All of them! I am using re-named duplicates, so it doesn't matter if I screw it up, but there are so many nodes I got bored of doing it in a systematic manner and checking in-game.

So now I am not entirely sure which one does what and I cannot find any on-line resources for it. Maybe nobody knows?

They are nothing like weapon meshes and textures - change the colour of the texture and it's done. But the 3D spell effect meshes have colour settings inside them, so it's a lot more complicated. I suspect there's no single setting, there may be several that have to be changed in several nifs for it to work in-game.

At first, I had a projectile twice the size of the Magelight one and a default size light ball - now I have a light ball that is FAR too big it looks ludicrous.

And I cannot get rid of the white - I re-coloured the textures and the meshes and I just get colours around the edges. Except for the MAGINVSpellArt - that is completely re-coloured in the spell menu.

~.~

About the colour, you mean you have to change the 'vertex color' of nearly all vertices ?

I really don't know if you "have to", but that's what I did. Wherever there was any colour, I changed it. Wherever there was a dds, I changed it to my recoloured ones. But it only really works properly in the spell menu inventory. At least that's something.

But I don't even know what the "vertices" are, I'm a blindly scrambling Noob, flailing about in my own ignorance.

There's a colour wheel icon in NifSkope that looks like cheese wedges from Trivial Pursuit. Some of them are white (#ffffff) but they are actually set to point to red with the intensity slider set all the way down to zero and the hue dot over in the white. So maybe I should not have messed with those.

But others are actually set to white, except the DarkSwirls.dds which is a dark colour but not solid black. Changing these gets more colour around the edges of the light ball and the casting hand animation, but not a lot. Except in dungeons, it's more intense there as there tends to be dust and mist that enhances it, but in my camp site SE of Rorickstead at Midnight, the added colour is not too hot.

I did manage to make the illuminated area very large, though, but that is a completely different file in the CK.

~.~