Where best to report Papyrus warnings?

Screwball

There's no "Papyrus" category on TracDown so "Magic", maybe?

Completely new game, no mods apart from USKP. Warnings in the logs about missing script properties (see the spoiler).

[08/21/2013 - 02:05:22PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:22PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:22PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] warning: Property pTG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script QF_TG05_00021551 attached to TG05 (00021551) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] warning: Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script tg06questscript attached to TG06 (00021552) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] VM is freezing...
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] VM is frozen
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] Reverting game...
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] warning: Property pTG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script QF_TG05_00021551 attached to TG05 (00021551) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:36PM] warning: Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script tg06questscript attached to TG06 (00021552) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:39PM] Loading game...
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:39PM] VM is thawing...
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:46PM] VM is freezing...
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:46PM] VM is frozen
[08/21/2013 - 02:05:47PM] Log closed

Sounds like you're having a similar issue like this one and I tried to help the guy, but later I just couldn't figure it out why the Papyrus log was such a mess until he reinstalled Steam and that what he should do from the beginning.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1468057-random-game-freezes/

Have you clean Update.esm and those DLC (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn) in TES5Edit if you use any of them?

If that doesn't work and you still have the same mess in the Papyrus log then try to reinstall Steam just to see if that helps.

Only active mod (apart from Update) is USKP. All the mods (except for USKP as it is already cleaned) have been cleaned. I'll give the Steam option a try - uninstalling steam won't mess with any of games will it? If it does I can live with those couple of warnings, but I'm sure the number will increase as I activate the other mods.

The main reason for starting a new game was that I was getting the same error (not the one mentioned above) repeated so many times that simply loading Skyrim and a savegame then immediately exiting produced a log well over 1MB. I gave up and disabled the logging for a while as that was stupid.

This is the error, for what it's worth. I've no idea which mod (if it is a mod) is causing it.

[08/21/2013 - 03:04:48PM] error: Cannot request LOS to a None object
stack:
[ (00000014)].Actor.HasLOS() - "" Line ?
[ (000709F6)].WordWallTriggerScript.isLooking() - "WordWallTriggerScript.psc" Line 135
[ (000709F6)].WordWallTriggerScript.OnUpdate() - "WordWallTriggerScript.psc" Line 310

Remember to delete ALL old gamesaves, because they contained baked-in data from your previous game which doesn't exist anymore.

So when you're reinstalling Skyrim then always delete the C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder plus the subfolders including ALL files too.

Already removed before starting the new game. Saves folder was completely empty. There's precious little in the Skyrim folder(s) bar the logs, the savegames (all in their own sub-folders except those for the new game) and a copy of the original .ini files (in a sub folder I created).

I wasn't about to reinstall the whole game - I would need to backup a load of my own stuff first - and it's a long job. If removing steam also removes game content then that's not likely to happen - more than just skyrim installed here :(

This appears to have been caused by v1.9 of the Official Skyrim Patch. Bethesda added the properties in at some point but the scripts never got updated. The Spell it is looking for is used on the script QF_Patch1_9_UpdateQuest_010009A3 attached to Patch1_9_UpdateQuest and appears to try and remove the spell from Karliah to prevent her from using it again. This was probably also supposed to be added to QF_TG05_00021551 and tg06questscript to catch it non-retroactively but I don't know for sure.

One can either add the property to the scripts or remove the property from the quests or just ignore the log entries, it should be harmless either way. I couldn't find anything that is trying to use the properties, though if someone who knows more about how to track that sort of thing down could take a look and confirm, that would be appreciated.

Personally I just added the property to the scripts and recompiled them. At the time I never gave it much thought but this thread changed that. I will probably just remove the recompiled scripts and ignore the warning on my next new game.

Already removed before starting the new game. Saves folder was completely empty. There's precious little in the Skyrim folder(s) bar the logs, the savegames (all in their own sub-folders except those for the new game) and a copy of the original .ini files (in a sub folder I created).

I wasn't about to reinstall the whole game - I would need to backup a load of my own stuff first - and it's a long job. If removing steam also removes game content then that's not likely to happen - more than just skyrim installed here :(

If you have installed BOSS, Wrye Bash and TES5Edit, then don't worry your mods in the Skyrim Mods folder won't be touched and will be there once Skyrim, Wrye Bash are reinstalled.  BOSS and TES5Edit is another story, but these tools shouldn't stop you to reinstall both of them.

If Wormheart is correct about the 1.9 patch then you probably need to make sure Skyrim is fully updated to the 1.9.32.0.8 version, which makes a question necessary to ask.  Are you using the Skyrim Legendary Edition?

If so then you'll need to re-active the Skyrim Legendary Edition, because you definitely need to finish the installation and your Papyrus log indicates just that for not being updated properly.

Tes5Edit Yes, BOSS No, Wrye Bash No, Skyrim Legendary Edition No, Skyrim current version is indeed 1.9.32.08.

There are currently only the Karliah scripts which are being reported as warnings in the logs. The other one I mentioned is an error, not merely a warning, and is not currently in the logs. It may resurface later in the game as I add the DLCs (and the associated unofficial patches). We shall see ;)

Also, any idea which category of TracDown this kind of issue (warnings/errors in the Papyrus Logs) is the most appropriate?

@Wormheart - adding the property would certainly fix those specific warnings, but as I mentioned earlier there were other errors causing log bloat on a massive scale - so much so that I turned logging off for quite a while. Now, with a new, clean game and reasonably clean logs too, I'd like to get to the bottom of what is causing them.

?!? Leonardo, Wormheart just said that this Papyrus error is caused BY the 1.9 patch, and it is a problem caused by Bethesda themselves.

so it is probably something the USKP could look into, which leads us back to the original question, where to report script errors?

i think for this issue, thr Quest section would suffice.

Screwball: if the errors are now gone with a new game, you should first try to reporduce them again. if they remain gone, the problem can be considered solved.

old savegames have that tendancy to carry around old burdons with them.

Screwball: if the errors are now gone with a new game, you should first try to reporduce them again. if they remain gone, the problem can be considered solved.

old savegames have that tendancy to carry around old burdons with them.

The spammy errors? Could be, though that was itself a new, clean game started on May 22nd. It will take a while to reproduce (if it is possible at all) as I won't be enabling the other DLCs (and associated U??Ps) until much further into the game - only level 7 at present. Watch this space (but don't hold your breath ;) ).

• 4 weeks later...

While we're on about "log spam"...

Can anything be done about the "Info: *Achievement xx awarded - a winnar is you!*" lines? More of those lines in the logs than I know what to do with, and as I have all the Achievements I really don't need to be constantly reminded about them. Might be an engine issue (can't be addressed by USKP), hence asking here first rather than creating a Tracdown issue.

That line can't be suppressed by the USKP. It's not in any of the Papyrus source files and it's not present as an editable text string within Skyrim.esm.

For those reading this topic, there's now a seperate Papyrus category in the tracker.

If a script error results in properties needing to be adjusted or other quest/item/etc related changes to be made then it should be filed in the category that best fits that.

When all that needs to be fixed is the script itself, then Papyrus is the best place for it. It may take some time to figure out which ones go where, but that's fine.

Putting the script name and error in the bug title would be helpful for both perusing the tracker and searching.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like the new Papyrus category is a total winner. 5 pages of fixed bugs already (with another 5 waiting :-))

Heh. We should have done it sooner since a few of those reports led to uncovering some broken quests, and not just sloppy coding habits or trace logs.