[Skyrim] Quests that needs to be fixed

Leonardo

How many quests are there in Skyrim, which is quest locked until you do something that's required to get access?  I would say there is too many quests in Skyrim that's quests locked.  I prefer no locked quests.

What I'm referring too is of course the Forbidden Legend quest and I know there are a few other quests too, but this quest is almost impossible to finish unless you join the College of Winterhold.

I find this irritating consider to what the slogan is for Skyrim.  "In Skyrim you can do whatever you want." or similar.  Then why must I join the College of Winterhold before I can finish a quest.

I agree though that many things has been better in comparison to Oblivion that's for sure, but Skyrim will never be what Morrowind was when it came out over 10 years ago.  Morrowind really has the freedom that Skyrim doesn't have I mean if Skyrim had exactly the same freedom as Morrowind has then every quest there is can be finished whenever the player wants to finish a quest no matter what.

What do you think?   Is it possible to do the same thing that TK did with the wordwall in his Freedom of Speech mod. :)

I think we all feel the same way you do about that quest. I don't play magic/mage characters so find it very annoying that my warriors have to join the college just to get into Sarthaal.

I was sure TK had plans on fixing that.

After I looked on UESP Saarthal should be easy to fix, but the Labyrinthian dungeon is more difficult to fix and that's not the only location that's quest locked.

Another location that really needs to be fixed is to allow the player to get access to Bromjunaar Sanctuary while wearing the Wooden Mask in the interiors of Labyrinthian despite for not being a member of the College of Winterhold.

Basically everything that's vital for the player to do certain things is quest locked in the interiors of Labyrinthian and you must join the College of Winterhold.  That REALLY sucks imo.  :thumbsdown:

I was sure TK had plans on fixing that.

I'm not so sure about that will help, because if he decide to fix it then this report is more urgent to fix first.  Otherwise his mod is probably not playable if such issue happens too early for the player.

I think we all feel the same way you do about that quest. I don't play magic/mage characters so find it very annoying that my warriors have to join the college just to get into Sarthaal.

So I take it then that you like to play a warrior character right, but I think you might have the same opinion about the Dungeon Delving quest as the Forbidden Legend quest.

The reason I mention the Dungeon Delving quest is that you need to go inside Ysgramor's Tomb and that's quest locked until the Glory of the Dead quest has started, which means that you need to do the entire quest line for the Companions

Another quest that's impossible to finish is the Purity quest, because Ysgramor's Tomb is quest locked.  Could a least the Purity quest be possible to finish regardless if the player has started the Glory of the Dead quest or not.

I'll add more locations that's quest locked as soon I notice them in-game and have them confirmed on UESP, but anyone can add their knowledge about quest locked locations too and that's okay with me. :)

Purity is quest locked to Ysgramor's Tomb and takes place after you've unlocked it so that's not even an issue.

Of course I know that and I thought it should be mentioned

Scratch that...  I need to confirm this myself by either read the UESP a little better or do the actual quest in-game whenever that will ever happen probably never, but who knows maybe I'll in the future.

The wordwall in Ysgramor's Tomb aren't quest locked even if it seems to be quest locked and I checked that the other day by climbing myself up to the hill, so I could learn the word of power without having an active quest in progress.

I read a little more about the Forbidden Legend quest on UESP and it turns out to be not only one of the quest targets is quest locked, but it also indicates that any documents related to this quest could also be *corrupt* the quest by first reading the writ of sealing or reading Daynas Valen's Notes before you read the book of Lost Legends which makes a couple of those documents useless and ruin the quest it self.

Furthermore I think the Forbidden Legend quest is started in the wrong location and in all of my previous games I've always been directed to Folgunthur in Arngeir's radiant the Word of Power quest after I finished the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller quest and sometimes I could be redirected to High Gate Ruins first probably a few other locations too before Arngeir directs me to Folgunthur, but he always direct me to Folgunthur too early in the Word of Power radiant quest.

• 3 months later...

My idea of how to fix the Forbidden Legend quest is to have the same condition as it's in Morrowind.  Once you have started the MQ in Morrowind Caius has sent you to collect some information about the Sixth House and he knows that Hasphat Antabolis has a detailed information about the Sixth House, but he doesn't hand it over that easily and when you talk to him he wants you to go and get the Dwemer Puzzle Box in Arkngthand just nearby of Fort Moonmoth, Balmora.

After you gave him the Dwemer Puzzle Box he'll tell you everything that Caius needs to know about the Sixth House, but he also told you that he'll answer any question you may have.  One of those available topics is about another large Dwemer ruin, but it's off limits due to Imperial excavation of Nchuleftingth.  However, if you visit Nchuleftingth with or without the introduction letter that Hasphat Antabolis will give if you ask about Nchuleftingth Senilias Cadiusus are the one who is in charge of this excavation in Nchuleftingth, but he is concerned for his guide and want you to find out what has happen to him and if you find him also be sure to collect his notes for the excavation report.

I wonder if something similar could be possible for the Forbidden Legend quest to continue if Saarthal could be open by talking to Tolfdir that you need to get access into Saarthal and only Tolfdir has the key to open the excavation site of Saarthal.  What the player needs to do for Tolfdir is something we could have a discussion about what the player needs to do.

So the only thing the player needs to do is to convince Tolfdir to open the locked entrance to Saarthal in the same way you did in Morrowind by helping Senilias Cadiusus to finish the excavation report.

Is this possible to do and I also think that if this is possible then it should be included in USKP as quest fix?

Korvanjund, part of Fellglow Keep, part of Knifepoint Ridge, Nightingale Hall...

Equally annoying is having no choice about becoming a Werewolf in order to complete the majority of the Companions quest line.

As for making any such changes (as discussed above) part of USKP - no. Like it or not the "lockouts" are clearly by design and as such are working as intended. Nothing is broken therefore there is nothing to "fix". Suitable for a mod? Definitely.

Arngeir's Word of Power quest (and the "Letter from a friend") really should should be tested against a list of known "locked" locations to prevent those locations being selected. Likewise they should be tested against a list of locations where you have already learned the word because that can lead to a "stuck" quest which can't be removed (from your journal).

Speaking of Knifepoint Ridge, does anybody know off the top of their head whether the problem with the bandit leader not respawning after completing "Boethia's Calling" is fixed by the USKP? If not, I'll test to see for sure in my game soon enough. There was a problem in vanilla Skyrim (for sure) with Knifepoint Ridge that was similar to the Uttering Hills Camp bug after completing "Summerset Shadows," where the dungeon didn't revert back to it's previous state making all future radiant quests impossible to finish (see the last bug on this page). Anyway, I'll report this if it turns out it isn't fixed by the USKP, but again I need to test it on my current game first with the latest USKP first.

As for making any such changes (as discussed above) part of USKP - no. Like it or not the "lockouts" are clearly by design and as such are working as intended. Nothing is broken therefore there is nothing to "fix". Suitable for a mod? Definitely.

Arngeir's Word of Power quest (and the "Letter from a friend") really should should be tested against a list of known "locked" locations to prevent those locations being selected. Likewise they should be tested against a list of locations where you have already learned the word because that can lead to a "stuck" quest which can't be removed (from your journal).

Yes.  That's those quests that I'm referring to is indeed *broken* because they will never finish before you join the required faction for the actual quest.

If it's working as intended then why are there quests that can be started *outside* of a faction and started *inside* of a faction.

What I mean by saying inside/outside of a faction is that if a quest is locked from other factions than the quest is tied to a faction and the quest shouldn't be available for anyone else so that's working as intended, but there are quests that's available for anyone else by starting them outside of a faction and that's those quests I'm talking about.

So that's why I say those quests are indeed *broken* and needs to be fixed by making them available to anyone else who wants to finished them in-game. :)

Then they should be fixed by preventing them from being started from outside the faction, not by opening them up to all, which seems to have been Beth's intent. The "main" quests aren't broken (AFAICT) - it's the random (Radiant) ones which cause the problem so they are the ones which should (IMO) be fixed by simply disallowing the location until after the "main" quest for the location has been completed.

All I'm saying is that it's not really for the USKP to change the gameplay in such a fundamental way - that's for a mod, if it can be done without screwing up the main quests in any way.

Then they should be fixed by preventing them from being started from outside the faction, not by opening them up to all, which seems to have been Beth's intent. The "main" quests aren't broken (AFAICT) - it's the random (Radiant) ones which cause the problem so they are the ones which should (IMO) be fixed by simply disallowing the location until after the "main" quest for the location has been completed.

All I'm saying is that it's not really for the USKP to change the gameplay in such a fundamental way - that's for a mod, if it can be done without screwing up the main quests in any way.

I agree they should be fixed, but if you compare that kind of a solution with the "In Skyrim you can do whatever you want" slogan Bethesda have for Skyrim then it doesn't makes sense if locked quests are fixed for not being started without being a member in a faction.  Bethesda doesn't seem to have such intent and thus Bethesda want us to join every faction there is joinable in-game, because it has always been like that Bethesda want us to join any available faction in their games a least it's what I think it's for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

The Forbidden Legend quest doesn't screw up any main quest (all DLC except for Hearthfire) nor does the Forbidden Legend quest change the gameplay too much either and I think such solution enhance the gameplay not destroy it.

All of this stuff you're talking about. Annoying? Yes. A bug for the USKP to fix? Definitely not, because it's functioning exactly as Bethesda intended it to whether it violates their marketing speak or not. PR doesn't build games. They promote games. Sometimes they get overly aggressive about it too and say things they shouldn't. That doesn't make the results a bug because it doesn't match what Pete and Todd promised us.

This is why mods exist btw, and while Thomas had plans at one point to free up most of this kind of thing from the faction locking, I think all he had time for was his Freedom of Speech mod that pulls word walls out of faction locked locations. Quest modding is actually one of the harder things to do in Skyrim due to the close ties with Papyrus.

Speaking of Knifepoint Ridge, does anybody know off the top of their head whether the problem with the bandit leader not respawning after completing "Boethia's Calling" is fixed by the USKP?

I don't think we've done anything to that bandit leader. If you think there's an issue with him, you should definitely test it.

Then they should be fixed by preventing them from being started from outside the faction, not by opening them up to all, which seems to have been Beth's intent.

If quest can choose a faction locked location, then that quest should be prevented from doing so. Most of them already aren't able to choose reserved locations, but there have been few exceptions, like Shalidor's Insights, which will be fixed in USKP 2.0.

I don't think we've done anything to that bandit leader. If you think there's an issue with him, you should definitely test it.

From my testing so far, there is definitely something wrong, because the champion of Boethiah seems to replace him and then the location never reverts back to it's previous state. I haven't been able to get a radiant quest there yet to prove that it's broken, but I'm pretty sure that when you complete the daedric quest there, radiant quests become bugged out due to the lack of a bandit leader. I'll test some more to see if I can give you guys a save with this problem before putting it down as a tracdown issue.

If quest can choose a faction locked location, then that quest should be prevented from doing so. Most of them already aren't able to choose reserved locations, but there have been few exceptions, like Shalidor's Insights, which will be fixed in USKP 2.0.

If the Shalidor's Insights quest is gonna be fixed in USKP 2.0 then should the Forbidden Legend quest also have exactly the same status as the Shalidor's Insights quest, due for being quest locked to a least location (Saarthal).