Disabling persistent references - a remarkable solution

Sclerocephalus

Just stumbled upon two persistent patrol idle markers, 00100816 and 00100817, which are modified by the Dawnguard plugin: they are inversely enable-parented to the player reference (and flagged as initially disabled), which does effetively disable them permanently. I don't know whether this really works (after all, persistent references are not simple to deal with), but it's a remarkable solution.

I think you just divided by zero XD

seriously though if this works there is alot of possibility

You sure you didn't just clean the file? That's what TES5Edit does to undelete a record.

Just stumbled upon two persistent patrol idle markers, 00100816 and 00100817, which are modified by the Dawnguard plugin: they are inversely enable-parented to the player reference (and flagged as initially disabled), which does effetively disable them permanently. I don't know whether this really works (after all, persistent references are not simple to deal with), but it's a remarkable solution.

Considering that they would only appear if the player is disabled, and disabling the player crashes the game (or at least puts it into a literally unplayable state), they should effectively never show up.

This sounds too much like you've run the .esm through TES5Edit's "undelete and disable" function to be a legitimate concern.

Considering that they would only appear if the player is disabled, and disabling the player crashes the game (or at least puts it into a literally unplayable state), they should effectively never show up.

This sounds too much like you've run the .esm through TES5Edit's "undelete and disable" function to be a legitimate concern.

You sure you didn't just clean the file? That's what TES5Edit does to undelete a record.

So it's just another ingenious idea that didn't come to Bethesda's minds ?

I wasn't aware that this is what TESVEdit does, and yes, the Dawnguard.esm has been cleaned, but I still find it noteworthy. It's not the sort of solution that comes in easily.

That was Elminster's idea from back in the Oblivion days. There were occasions where undeleted items would not come up disabled, so that solution was cooked up to force the issue. Since the game crashes if you disable the player it can't ever fail.

Bethesda was told about this on numerous occasions but they're obviously not listening :P