[WIP] Orphaned Children

Leonardo

This idea for a larger mod has grown into a single quest mod based on my quoted post below in this DC-thread, because none of us aren't a modder and a least I wanted to try just to see if I were successful.

I've spent a lot of time wandering around Skyrim and sometimes I visit inns on several locations.  In some inns (Dawnstar, Morthal?) I notice kids is just sleeping on the floor and I miss an option to let orphaned children a least have a decent bed to sleep in a separate room.

So why not add an option via dialogue to let the player to offer them to have a little better than the children has right now and that could be some sort of charity.

What the player offers is to pay for a room and food for let say one season for orphaned children, so when one week is left the player will have a journal update about the charity for children is gonna be expired soon.

Ysne58 like my idea about orphaned children and I wanted to learn (in my own pace) how to make a quest mod via dialogue in CK.

To do this I need all help I can get from really nice people here and if you can provide anything I really appreciate that. :)

I have already made my first esp in CK, but I tend to expand it so much I can finish the initial quest in-game.  Ysne58 has promised me to help me out in any way she can.

This mod relies on Skyrim 1.9.32.0.8 and requires Hearthfire (later on Dragonborn?), but for now only Hearthfire is required. It's is also compatible with Arthmoor's LAL mod a least what I attend to do.

Thanks for reading!

because none of us aren't a modder

Actually, I'm not a modder. :shrug: (unless you count programming on a MUD as the same thing? :unsure:) ...can't speak for any one else, but I like to imagine that I'm not the only non-modder who visits this site.. maybe even not the only one who's registered at this site. ;)

Sounds like a great idea, Leonardo.

You'll probably need some scripting help, of which I cannot do, but I just wanted to provide some support and say good luck!

Thanks Hana. :)

So I take it then that you're a scripted helper am I right.  Nah... just kidding.  I appreciate your help. :D

• 2 weeks later...

After I thought about how to start the quest I decided to start over and do this a little different, so this is basically what I wanted to do.

1. The player arrives to Riverwood for the first time and that starts the initial quest for locating orphaned children in every city/town, but the player need to talk to each children in order to get an update.
  2. In order to proceed the player needs to have the temporary charity effect active and that's to give the children a coin (currently a single coin in vanilla IIRC) via dialogue.  I might changed that to let say 5 or 10 coins.
  3. After the player have the charity effect active the player offer the children to have a temporary place to sleep, which directs the player to the closest inn (<local inn>, <city/town>) and talk to the inn-keeper there.
  4. Once the player and the inn-keeper has reach an agreement the children will be relocated to the inn for one season, but will have their vanilla AI schedule package intact with slight changes to the local inn.

--- 5% done ---

I've also decided to do this without having quest markers for any orphaned children in any city or in any town, but there will be quest markers after the player gets an update about renew the offer for each children.

I think is a good start for this quest mod and it can be expanded later on once I got the dialogues for the quest in place, so I need a little help from anyone who knows the step-by-step stuff for quests in CK.

Sadly TES Alliance doesn't seems to have a tutorial for quests and dialogues, so Bethesda's CK site are the only source there is right now.

You'll probably need some scripting help, of which I cannot do, but I just wanted to provide some support and say good luck!

I'm not worry about scripting right now and I'll add scripts later on, but first I need some advice or should I say guidance of how to do whatever I wanted to do.

So I'm asking...  Nevermind.  I figure it out of how to get the started via a visible map marker for a new location.

Which means that Whiterun are no longer necessary to visit first before the initial quest is started, because I think this makes sense if the player travel to Riverwood for the first time during the Before the Storm quest and get the Riverwood map marker visible on the world map.  Finally I get something right with this quest mod! :dancing:

• 4 months later...

RL has intervene and right now I'm not in the mood to continue working on this mod, so if anyone wants to take up the torch and release it then be my guest.  Of course if you want to know the fundamental idea of this mod can send me a PM.

So I'm asking...

Is there anyone here who have mercy of the children in Skyrim? 

I do have the Hearthfire mod installed and running now.  I'll still be here to test if anyone takes it up.  I still think it's a great idea Leo.