[Skyrim] Cannot see underwater

Gorank

Whenever I dive and have my head below a certain height, the screen (except for the HUD) turns green. Rather inconvenient for my Argonian.

Apparently it's due to a problem with my ENB config. Can someone please help fix it?

One of the patches, and I don't remember which one, messed seeing underwater for some configuration, without ENB.

Alexander Velicky found the solution for me.  In the Skyrim Prefs under the [imagespace] section.

bDoDepthOfField=0  -- the default is 1

One of the patches, and I don't remember which one, messed seeing underwater for some configuration, without ENB.

All the information I've found has since verified that it is in fact an ENB issue. The original parties reporting it as a bug in Bethesda's patch were mistaken.

Alexander Velicky found the solution for me.  In the Skyrim Prefs under the [imagespace] section.

bDoDepthOfField=0  -- the default is 1

Turning this off will instead cause the underwater effect to disappear entirely as it depends on the depth of field system being enabled.

Also, the "Green Water Fix" is not a bug fix mod, it's a visual preferences mod that's been misleadingly labeled. If clear water is what you want, then it does what it says. It is not however fixing an actual bug other than to mask a defective ENB setup.

The problem with that is I've never, ever used any ENB settings and I cannot see underwater since that one patch.  So something did happen that made seeing underwater problematic for some users.

• 1 month later...

[cut]

exaclty! I always said "the green water fix mod is not a fix but a workaround". I said it in the mod's comments and my comment got deleted. I insisted and the author said that he called it "fix" so that it could be found more easily by people. meh.

The problem with that is I've never, ever used any ENB settings and I cannot see underwater since that one patch.  So something did happen that made seeing underwater problematic for some users.

same here. really no one ever understood what causes this bug and how to fix it? it's incredible!

(sorry for bringing back this thread. it's not very old though)

Dunno what you people are on about not seeing underwater.  :P

I seem to recall that the bug was fixed by Boris or something like that.

If you're using the ENB binaries that fixed that (or newer), you shouldn't have any issues with underwater visuals and no need to use that tweak that removes them and makes water crappy.

I'm on 0.168 binaries and everything works perfectly underwater, in both vanilla game and with the water mod I use, no "fixes" needed.  :shrug:

just a question: what the heck are the ENB binaries? lol

the strange fact is that there's people using the vanilla game that don't have this bug and other people that do have it. booh.

just a question: what the heck are the ENB binaries? lol

the strange fact is that there's people using the vanilla game that don't have this bug and other people that do have it. booh.

The .dll's which you should (technically) only be able to get from Boris' site. 

That's strange. Maybe the ones getting the bug in vanilla game have a mod somewhere that messes with underwater imagespace or something, and don't know about it. 
I know at one point I had really murky underwater visuals if I used (this was quite a while ago) Pure Waters (ENB being present or not didn't aggravate or alleviate the problem), but all was good if I ran on 100% vanilla waters + ENB. 

A lot of folks in early days disabled DoF in the game's ini file. Then forgot about it. Along came Patch 1.5 with it's visual improvements for water, directly out of the Game Jam content. Lo and behold, it wasn't working. Turns out, Beth's water improvement requires the game's DoF to be enabled.

ENB binaries at the time were pretty bad, almost laughable. If Beth's DoF was on, the ENB didn't function properly, but turning it off meant the water didn't work right. Boris did something to it because of this. Problem got worse, not better. Much confusion ensued.

That post of mine from June was based on info I hadn't bothered to check into for nearly a year. So far as is known now, ENB should work fine alongside Beth's new water as long as you make sure Skyrim's DoF setting is enabled.

I have the depth of field enabled but the water is still green.

sooo can someone link me the ENB file\s I have to download? are they these ones?

edit: if those are the files, can someone tell me how to install them? 'cause I installed the antifreeze patch (which did wonders), but installing the enb mod would overwrite the patch, since both of them include a d3d9.dll file. thanks for the help.

I just disable depth of field.  I really have no interest in any of the ENBs.  I haven't checked yet to see how skyrim does underwater on my new computer.

I have the depth of field enabled but the water is still green.

sooo can someone link me the ENB file\s I have to download? are they these ones?

edit: if those are the files, can someone tell me how to install them? 'cause I installed the antifreeze patch (which did wonders), but installing the enb mod would overwrite the patch, since both of them include a d3d9.dll file. thanks for the help.

What is this antifreeze patch more precisely? Is it the ENBoost, if so, I think there are instructions on the page or in the comments on how to set-up the proxies to make them work together. 

I use the v0.168 binaries, but I think that for ENBoost you need newer ones. 

What is this antifreeze patch more precisely? Is it the ENBoost, if so, I think there are instructions on the page or in the comments on how to set-up the proxies to make them work together. 

I use the v0.168 binaries, but I think that for ENBoost you need newer ones.

it's this: http://www.enbdev.com/download_patch_skyrim.htm

I found no instructions to have both that and the binaries. then maybe the anti-freeze is included in them... hopefully.

They're both d3d9.dll replacers. You can only have one. Either the anti-freeze or the ENB. Though I'd be surprised if ENB didn't already have these functions included, assuming they're even still relevant.

You can run multiple .dlls if you set-up your PROXY section accordingly, but isn't that Antifreeze thing pretty old?

Cridus : "Read documentation on the web site about [PROXY] category." It's right there on the page you linked, so go to the documentation tab and see what you have there.

ah, I thought that "Read documentation on the web site about [PROXY] category" part wasn't related to using more dlls together. I didn't understand what "proxy" had to do with it, lol.

thanks for the help.

btw I wanted to use both because the anti-freeze already made my game way better. I played in low quality before, now I play with high quality! I just hope the binaries will have the same effect so I can use only those.