[Morrowind] Users Mod Tools

Leonardo

Last year I started a discussion about using BOSS in Morrowind and my intentions was to have the same system we have for both Oblivion, Skyrim, meaning the usage of bash tags with MW mods.

After a few posts I notice that the discussion won't be nice a least what I felt back then, so I decided to request a lock and skip such discussions in the future a least I are not interested to start a new discussion.

Perhaps I've misjudged everything, but so be it and I can lived with that.

The way I see it and to accomplish this is to have TES3Edit (derived from the source code of TES4Edit which TES5Edit is based on IIRC) available for mod users plus having a completely new version of Wrye Mash, because the development of Wrye Mash is minimal a least what I know of and I don't know if Melchor (haven't been around for 2½ years now) has made any progress at all.

I searched for "BOSS" on Morrowind.Nexus and this was the only thing I could find via searching of course and not via browsing through all mod pages.

What do you think is it possible to achieve this? :)

You'd have to talk to Zilav about the possibility of porting TES5Edit over to Morrowind. I seem to recall he was interested but obviously needs someone who is willing to help test AND has the time do so. While I'm willing to help test, I don't have the time.

As far as BOSS support, the team decided some time ago to drop officially supporting Morrowind. We still have a masterlist for it, but nobody is maintaining it, and I'm pretty sure Wrinklyninja was going to remove support for it from the code. If you really want to keep BOSS alive for Morrowind, you'll need to speak up soon and see to it there's people who can properly maintain the list for it.

Getting someone to work on Wrye Mash is going to be a whole other thing. I don't know that there's going to be anyone who will, especially since we can't find many people willing to work on Bash for Skyrim either. Python is simply too difficult for folks to bother with, and Bash's code is like the Ultimate Python Challenge.

There is a tool called MLOX for Morrowind isn't there?

Yes there is but there is a runtime error if you're using Python 2.5 (perhaps there is a runtime error with Python 2.6 too) and having non-US Windows version.

It depends about something called mlox rule base and doesn't have anything to do with bash tags, instead it's based of the author's readme and we all know that people don't read a readme.

You'd have to talk to Zilav about the possibility of porting TES5Edit over to Morrowind. I seem to recall he was interested but obviously needs someone who is willing to help test AND has the time do so. While I'm willing to help test, I don't have the time.

I see.  Well perhaps I'll do just that.

As far as BOSS support, the team decided some time ago to drop officially supporting Morrowind. We still have a masterlist for it, but nobody is maintaining it, and I'm pretty sure Wrinklyninja was going to remove support for it from the code. If you really want to keep BOSS alive for Morrowind, you'll need to speak up soon and see to it there's people who can properly maintain the list for it.

The only person who offer help to get BOSS working in Morrowind was john.moonsugar 1½-2 years ago IIRC.

Getting someone to work on Wrye Mash is going to be a whole other thing. I don't know that there's going to be anyone who will, especially since we can't find many people willing to work on Bash for Skyrim either. Python is simply too difficult for folks to bother with, and Bash's code is like the Ultimate Python Challenge.

I posted this 2½ years ago and I haven't read anything about updating Wrye Mash during this time except for Melchor's and Yacoby's WMSA versions.

I've also read something about a possible update of Wrye Mash, but I don't know when or if that is gonna to happen.

In contrast to you I'm both willing to test it and use it my self, but the biggest problem a least what I know about programming is to implement bash tags in Wrye Mash.

The only person who offer help to get BOSS working in Morrowind was john.moonsugar 1½-2 years ago IIRC.

Well if he's still willing to support it, I can grant him commit access to the repository so he can maintain the list if that offer is still open. Let me know one way or the other, because I'll need to get in touch with Wrinklyninja to make sure he doesn't yank support out of the executable.

In contrast to you I'm both willing to test it and use it my self, but the biggest problem a least what I know about programming is to implement bash tags in Wrye Mash.

Being willing to test it and use it are not enough. Finding someone who understands the records well enough to write patchers for Morrowind is required. The record formats would need to be decoded, logic generated for building patches, etc. This is the hardest part of the whole program and is why Skyrim support in Bash stalled out. Nobody knows enough about how things work to get it done other than Lojack, and he's gone MIA.

Well if he's still willing to support it, I can grant him commit access to the repository so he can maintain the list if that offer is still open. Let me know one way or the other, because I'll need to get in touch with Wrinklyninja to make sure he doesn't yank support out of the executable.

Being willing to test it and use it are not enough. Finding someone who understands the records well enough to write patchers for Morrowind is required. The record formats would need to be decoded, logic generated for building patches, etc. This is the hardest part of the whole program and is why Skyrim support in Bash stalled out. Nobody knows enough about how things work to get it done other than Lojack, and he's gone MIA.

Again it's john.moonsugar who might know that kind of stuff since he wrote the tes3cmd program to clean your mods, but I think you should know that some tools that john has written over the years is written in Perl if I'm not mistaken.

Another tool is the Enchanted Editor and that's the only tool I know of about who could give you some insights about the records there is in Morrowind except for Wrye Mash of course due to repairing a save.

This is what I think is necessary to do if the bash tags will work for Morrowind mods in Wrye Mash, because without a completely new Wrye Mash version with bash tags support there is no point to discuss this any further imo.

I also have a question about what more is there to be done in Wrye Bash except for fixing cosmetics in Wrye Bash for both WB-Oblivion and WB-Skyrim. :)

As far as BOSS goes, I believe BOSS V3 is going to support morrowind (there was a discussion about supported games recently in the new thread), which should provide more help than the current iteration since it will be somewhat automated.

Leo, if john.moonsugar is still willing to contribute to maintaining a Morrowind list, I'm sure we can get him added to the committers group easily enough.

Leo, if john.moonsugar is still willing to contribute to maintaining a Morrowind list, I'm sure we can get him added to the committers group easily enough.

I could contact him, but I think it's for the best if either you or wrinklyninja contacted him.  Because I'm not involved in any dev team.

Here is some linked posts that I think could interests you about using BOSS for Morrowind.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1167004-relz-mlox-a-tool-for-analyzing-and-sorting-your-load-order/page-2#entry18194266

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1167004-relz-mlox-a-tool-for-analyzing-and-sorting-your-load-order/page-7#entry21251456

Also, in the same thread john.moonsugar reveal that he his is actually a Python programmer which I didn't know.

• 1 month later...

Nobody knows enough about how things work to get it done other than Lojack, and he's gone MIA.

He pop in the other day and said hi to everybody. ;)

• 9 months later...

Have already done that and he explain to me why Morrowind is different and I had no idea how different Morrowind were in comparison to both Oblivion and Skyrim, which is the reason why Morrowind have the Enchanted Editor.

I don't know if this information about the esm file format in Morrowind will be any help at all.

I think BOSS is out of question and that the reason is the release of LOOTHere is the latest discussion in which Wrinklyninja (a few posts below my post) replied with his suggestion(s).

I was too excited about having a BOSS version for Morrowind last year, but now I realize that is almost impossible since I don't know anyone who will and can do anything with the Wrye Mash source code in Python.

• 1 month later...

Does automatic updating exist for mlox?

Yes.  It does exist thanks to both abot and WH-Reaper, but Dragon32 also updated mlox 0.57 to mlox 0.59 (non-Python) and I test it briefly earlier today.

So automatic updating in mlox works with a few issues that needs to be fixed, but abot found a work around and that works with the integrated mlox/tes3cmd GUI in Yacoby's WMSA 86 a least what I can confirm.

If you're interested to find out more about automatic updating in mlox can read it in the mlox thread at the officials. :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro post, but I totally forgot about zilav's post at the official.

Reposted from BSF

And what do you want exactly from Wrye Mash? I personally don't feel myself limited with it now (and I'm using original 84 version).
Sure some nice features are missing, interface is somewhat clunky, random bugs are popping, but it supports BAIN, annealing, sorting, etc. Basically everything I need to handle mods are already implemented and working.
Bashed patch requires tags database which is impossible to create at this stage for Morrowind, and there are other tools that can achieve the same, not in one place and single click, but they do work.

You are asking someone to commit a great deal of time for... nothing? Maybe improved usability and bug fixing, but still that is not enough I think.

Like I said in that thread I didn't want to hijack it since the discussion was about MO and not about Wrye Mash, so that's why I didn't comment zilav's post back then.

As for bug fixing, I know there is one annoying bug in Yacoby's WMSA and that's about editing the file header in his Wrye Mash 86 Fork. 

It doesn't work and if you try to use it then you get an internal Python "wx<whatever>" error message, which is damn annoying for not being able to use an awesome feature in Yacoby's WMSA.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mash\masher.pyo", line 1388, in OnSave
  File "mash\mosh.pyo", line 2611, in writeHedr
  File "mash\mosh.pyo", line 2007, in getSize
struct.error: argument for 's' must be a string
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 14669, in <lambda>
  File "mash\mash.pyo", line 14, in write
IOError: [Errno 0] Error

The same bug also exist in Sharlikran's Wrye Mash Fork for Python 2.7.8 since he created his fork based on Yacoby's WMSA.

The other Wrye Mash versions, Wrye Mash 84 (I don't remember much about Wrye Mash 84 nowdays) and Melchor's WMSA, doesn't have that editing a file header bug in Wrye Mash.

Another thing I would like to see is a better way to copy your loadorder from Wrye Mash instead of doing that in mlox.  I think a lot of people would like to have such a "copy your loadorder" feature in Wrye Mash.

Of course there are other improvements anyone would like to have in Wrye Mash.  This may sound promising and here is the latest BOSS discussion. :)

• 1 year later...

What's the best fork of Wrye Mash to use these days? I got sent to Yacoby's fork at some other page, but since the last file at github is from 2012, could some other fork have taken the lead?

And since there are also standalone and python versions, which would be better to use? Python has been my choice for skyrim but from what I read the standalone versions for morrowind are pretty recent and presented as an evolution (at least that seems to be the case for Melchor's WMSA). Sharlikran's (are you there? ;) ) apparently is the most recently updated only three weeks ago and isn't it also a standalone version?

Also sorry for resurrecting an old thread (maybe a new one could be created in the knowledge base for the game, like tools of the trade)...

I help Sharlikran with testing of the code and TBH I would say Wrye Mash Stand Alone 87 is the best version to this date.

I don't think Sharlikran would mind, here is the latest stable version of WMSA.