Crimson Nirnroot not being counted.

Ysne58

I do not know whether this is a Vanilla Skyrim issue or with mods/patches.  But once again the game is not counting the crimson nirnroots when I pick them.  Arthmoor has mentioned in a thread over at DC that there is an issue with vanilla, so I thought I'd start by posting here.  My load order is in spoilers below.

Active Mod Files:

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 Falskaar.esm
04 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.3.2c]
05 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp [Version 1.2.2]
06 ANB - ArrowsToPicks.esp
07 Ars Metallica.esp [Version 1.2.0]
08 Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp [Version 1.2.0]
09 Crafting300.esp
0A GS.esp
0B DungeonQuestAwareness.esp
0C kuerteeProfessions.esp
0D Tamriel Compendium.esp [Version 1.0]
0E Freedom of Speech.esp
0F Freedom of Speech -- Dawnguard.esp
10 Gildergreen Regrown.esp [Version 1.2.5]
11 LevelersTower.esp
12 Run For Your Lives.esp [Version 1.2.2]
13 When Vampires Attack.esp [Version 1.0.2]
14 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp [Version 1.2.4]
15 BetterQuestObjectives.esp
16 BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp
17 BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp
18 NoAutoQuestStart_ThievesGuild_High.esp
19 Uncle Sheo.esp
1A Open Cities Skyrim.esp [Version 1.0]
1B DragonbornAscendant.esp
1C EmpoweredMagic.esp
1D Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp [Version 2.3a]
1E BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp
1F BetterNightEye.esp
20 GreenWaterFix.esp

Could be better quest objectives if you're on an older version. I remember an issue with it causing the crimson quest not to start when you first pick one up too.

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked and it was only a certain patch which isn't in your load order.

The counter is a mess anyway, even with USKP installed (I'm on an old savegame, however. That may require a fresh, brand new game)

Well, in fact it does work properly when you first speak to Avrusa Sarethi and she asks you to go and seek for crimson nirnroot. But it messes (and can even display negative amounts) if you find crimson nirnroot plants before receiving the quest.

The counter updates each time you add/remove some Nirnroot plants in your inventory, but it increases/decreases the account by 1 regardless the real amount you pick/move. I suppose the best way to handle the quest would be the same as the one for stones of Barenziah : each plant (there are 44 in Blackreach) should be made unique, with the side effect that they wouldn't be stackable anymore.

Edit : that may bring mess in alchemy where crimson nirnoot is also used. I don't see any proper way to handle this.  :(

What's puzzling is when I finally get the quest from reading the book, everytime I pick one, I get the message that I've picked one  and the counter shows with 0/33 picked.

Well, in fact it does work properly when you first speak to Avrusa Sarethi and she asks you to go and seek for crimson nirnroot. But it messes (and can even display negative amounts) if you find crimson nirnroot plants before receiving the quest.

I didn't have any problem with picking crimson nirnroot in my previous game, but like you said my save is most likely based on an old patch and an old USKP version with mods in my loadorder.

However I haven't notice any negative amounts in my inventory and I could finish her quest by picking the required crimson nirnroots in Blackreach before I talked to her.

I've never started this by speaking to her.  I didn't even know that was possible.

I know where to find her.  I seriously doubt that talking to her would fix whatever the issue is with the game not counting the crimson nirnroot.  

I seriously doubt that talking to her would fix whatever the issue is with the game not counting the crimson nirnroot.  

Agreed, I doubt that too so it must be something else that's causing this.

After I checked your posted loadorder again I notice one mod that could be the cause in your game, but not in my game and what I'm referring to is Dawnguard since I don't use (I don't even buy it when I bought Hearthfire, Dragonborn).

It isn't currently active.  So that isn't the issue.  Arthmoor said there was an issue that he's had trouble tracking down, which is why I posted here in the first place.  I'm fairly certain this is not a mod conflict.

So you mean that there must be a bug in the game in it self of some sort regardless what mods you have installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, with this weeks restart, I did test talking to the woman first before picking any crimson nirnroot or reading the book.  It still says 0/30 every time I pick one up.

Have you checked the Better Quest Objectives mod if there is an update?   Because that's the only mod I can think of that edit crimson nirnroot properties.

I'm working my way through the USKP bug list now. If this issue is in the tracker I'll get to it once I've hit the quests category. No idea why it would fail the count though, that really shouldn't be possible.

Arthmoor will need a save to test this one, so if someone has an affected savegame, you should upload it and link it to the bug.

No idea why it would fail the count though, that really shouldn't be possible.

Me either.

It has a tracker entry. And with Skyrim, anything is possible :P

What can I say and we'll know to well what's possible or what's impossible.

Arthmoor will need a save to test this one, so if someone has an affected savegame, you should upload it and link it to the bug.

Good to know and I'll try to remember that. :)

You can upload them to the Downloads - Unofficial Patch Project - Files for Fixes. You'll need to compress the file first, though.

Not sure how, but the properties on quest NN01 (the one that runs the Nirnroot stuff) lost its property value for the Crimson Nirnroots. Picking one up results in a script error being thrown to the logs.

Was this save started absolutely fresh with the load order it shows? It's not a recycled prison cell save?