Golden Glow Estate Trespassing

Suiei

People who game using exploits never consider the fixes to be fixes. Which is always a source of amusement and laughter. Especially when Bethesda later picks up the exact same fixes in official updates, which then results in the sudden agreement from MANY of the former exploiters that "yes, it really was a bug".

I fully expect the Golden Glow fix to fall under this at some future date in an official patch. There is no reasonable argument that works to justify free reign theft from a house occupied by someone who arguably would hate your guts.

My preferences have nothing to do with this. The bug that's been fixed was one of the oldest issues in our tracker, dating back to November of 2011. Reported by someone other than myself, and the only reason Kivan didn't handle it himself at the time the USKP began coming together was because it wasn't a high priority target due to all the other far more pressing issues in the queue.

You seem to have the illusion that I'm going to be shamed into admitting something that's not true here. I assure you, that's not going to happen. I'm far too old to be suckered in by that one anymore.

Rest assured, your game will break, if it isn't already. Your save will corrupt. You'll quite possibly forget this ever happened and you'll post somewhere asking for help for a mysterious issue you can't pin down, convinced it's a vanilla bug. And for what? Because of a cell ownership flag on a quest you're already done with? Is that hassle REALLY worth it to you? You'd rather sacrifice hundreds of hours of play time over one thing you refuse to see the reasoning for?

There's a term for that, and it's something I'm accused of regularly - ironically by people such as yourself. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that might be.

People who game using exploits never consider the fixes to be fixes. Which is always a source of amusement and laughter. Especially when Bethesda later picks up the exact same fixes in official updates, which then results in the sudden agreement from MANY of the former exploiters that "yes, it really was a bug".

I fully expect the Golden Glow fix to fall under this at some future date in an official patch. There is no reasonable argument that works to justify free reign theft from a house occupied by someone who arguably would hate your guts.

My preferences have nothing to do with this. The bug that's been fixed was one of the oldest issues in our tracker, dating back to November of 2011. Reported by someone other than myself, and the only reason Kivan didn't handle it himself at the time the USKP began coming together was because it wasn't a high priority target due to all the other far more pressing issues in the queue.

You seem to have the illusion that I'm going to be shamed into admitting something that's not true here. I assure you, that's not going to happen. I'm far too old to be suckered in by that one anymore.

Rest assured, your game will break, if it isn't already. Your save will corrupt. You'll quite possibly forget this ever happened and you'll post somewhere asking for help for a mysterious issue you can't pin down, convinced it's a vanilla bug. And for what? Because of a cell ownership flag on a quest you're already done with? Is that hassle REALLY worth it to you? You'd rather sacrifice hundreds of hours of play time over one thing you refuse to see the reasoning for?

There's a term for that, and it's something I'm accused of regularly - ironically by people such as yourself. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that might be.

Once again you've completely missed the issue at hand, as stated before, I really do not care if every item is stealing, but the fact that Aringoth does not act the way he should when your in his vicinity is an issue, that you have caused and refuse to fix and admit to. if Bethesda does in fact "fix" the whole "these items are not stealing when you enter golden glow estate" issue they will probably do it in a more professional way. I'm not looking to "exploit the game" I'm looking for a quest that actually works the way it should, not "sort of work" because the person sneaks or because they decide they don't want to go talk to Aringoth.

Trust me, I get what you think you're trying to argue.

What you're intentionally NOT getting though is that two of us have confirmed that what you describe is not what actually happens. I even went back and intentionally didn't sneak at all on the first floor. Aringoth was nowhere to be found until I got upstairs, and even then, he was cowering over in the corner asking me not to hurt him. He certainly wasn't demanding I leave.

I don't know how else we can make that more plain.

If Bethesda fixes this, it's all but certain they'll do exactly what we did, and then you can vent your righteous anger at them for "breaking" your game instead of at us. Chances are though you won't, and it'll just be another fix among dozens that you happily accept as though it was the right way all along. Trust me, I've seen this before far too many times to think it won't happen some other way.

Trust me, I get what you think you're trying to argue.

What you're intentionally NOT getting though is that two of us have confirmed that what you describe is not what actually happens. I even went back and intentionally didn't sneak at all on the first floor. Aringoth was nowhere to be found until I got upstairs, and even then, he was cowering over in the corner asking me not to hurt him. He certainly wasn't demanding I leave.

I don't know how else we can make that more plain.

If Bethesda fixes this, it's all but certain they'll do exactly what we did, and then you can vent your righteous anger at them for "breaking" your game instead of at us. Chances are though you won't, and it'll just be another fix among dozens that you happily accept as though it was the right way all along. Trust me, I've seen this before far too many times to think it won't happen some other way.

now see that's not what Hana said. she said

It is supposed to be like that, and there is nothing wrong with the Loud and Clear quest.

I just started a new character who joined the TG just to test this out. Aringoth might flail and yell at you to get out, but you can still walk up to him and initiate the necessary conversation. I just played it out perfectly fine.

see she even admits that he "might flail and yell at you to get out" so obviously your missing something here. he doesn't come running down from the 2nd floor he only comes running to you when you enter the 2nd floor. you seem to be under the impression that I'm lying about something in order to exploit the game I assure you I want a quest that works well no where do I say "I want to be able to take all the items in this house and it counts as stealing"

Except you seem to be missing where even she said "I just played it out perfectly fine". So there's no inconsistency in what we're telling you.

You HAVE a quest that works well, so the only logical conclusion I can draw is that you want the exploit back, which isn't going to happen.

Except you seem to be missing where even she said "I just played it out perfectly fine". So there's no inconsistency in what we're telling you.

You HAVE a quest that works well, so the only logical conclusion I can draw is that you want the exploit back, which isn't going to happen.

right because there can't possibly be a problem with the fix you've done. how does running over to the entrence (of the 2nd floor) and saying "you need to get out" and then eventually running around like someone screaming bloody murder count as totally not broken? even if you did as she did and "sneaked over there" she says he does "flail and tell you to get out" sure she can talk to him and persuade him to get the key. (note if you don't manage to persuade him he will force you to kill him by attacking you) but that doesn't mean he doesn't go around continuing to tell you to get out and then eventually going crazy. nope nothing wrong there perfectly normal *sarcasm*

You can go on like this for as long as you like. The fact remains that it isn't broken. You clearly want more than that though.

I've done this quest on at least USKP 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 and it has never given me any trouble. I sneaked as I was playing a thief, Aringoth was covering in the corner as usual and I had no problem persuading the key from him. I tried without sneaking, Aringoth still covering in the corner. After failing to persuade him he becames hostile, as would be expected.

I wouldn't call this quest broken. Even if Aringoth would have been screaming for me to get out, I would still not call this quest broken, because his behaviour does not prevent you from completing it. Tolfdir not recognizing your ward spell, that is broken. Aringoth (possibly) shouting for you to get out, is at most a speed bumb, and mind you, I have not seen him do that.

If you're wondering who I am, I do beta testing for the unofficial patches. I would caution against using older patch versions as they may seem to work fine now, but cause irrepearable damage to your save all the same. I guess you have to ask yourself how committed are you to your character and how long do you want to play him/her for.

Despite what you may think, Arthmoor does not make arbitrary decisions of what to include or exclude, and if he does make a mistake, he owns up to it.

Despite what you may think, Arthmoor does not make arbitrary decisions of what to include or exclude, and if he does make a mistake, he owns up to it.

Agreed.  Also, if he made a mistake he is REALLY quick to correct it asap and he knows what he's talking about imo.

I've done my own share of testing things when asked.  I believe Arthmoor, Hana and everyone else who says this isn't broken.  It just doesn't do what you think it should do.

I noticed it doesn't always happen, it tends to be triggered when I go to look at the shelf's with the mead near the 2nd floor entrance. I watch him using the quest pointer, where he will first run to his door,when I walk near the shelf. I'm not sure if its triggered by me staying near the shelf or if he just takes a while to open his door. but then he quickly makes his way over to me if I click on him before he starts attacking me I can then try and talk to him, even if I persuade him to give me the key he will then eventually start to attack me. if I do nothing he will eventually attack me and I will then be unable to engage in conversation with him. even when I sneak all the way to him and engage with him while hes hiding in the corner eventually he begins to attack me. sure I could just kill him get the key that way and then go on with the quest but then what is the point of having a conversation with him at all? before hand you could persuade him and never have to kill him. I guess I could just let him attack me and run for my life, but this seems highly unreasonable. if I didn't go talk to him fast enough I could then not even get the option to talk to him at all. sure this does not impede the quest, but it doesn't fit well with it.

I've just tried this about 10 times every time I walk near the shelf he runs to find me. some times it takes longer then others(almost like he gets stuck) sometimes it takes him no time at all.  I took some videos of it with fraps but their too large to attach to this post, and I really don't feel like uploading them somewhere, their also pretty choppy so I doubt it would be much help. but if anyone is interested in seeing these videos I would be happy to zip them and email them or what ever. but based on the reception I've seen here I'm wasting my time even writing this post since I doubt it will change anyone's mind that there is in fact a problem with Aringoth, I must just have my pants on fire.

• 1 year later...

Actually, I have something that you might find useful.

I play through the thieves' guild questline and never sneak. I don't usually steal, either, unless it's items for delvin.

Vanilla Skyrim actually allows for non-thieves to not play a thief and still enjoy the questline.

I'm wondering if this goldenglow ownership was something that bethesda had mentioned in their code, because that would actually make it something that didn't need to be patched if it wasn't.

No thieves' guild quest areas have normal items as stolen instead of taken, with the exception of the meadery, which still has plenty of items to take. Plus, I kill Aringoth. He shouldn't be able to own things when he's dead.

I didn't have that problem in vanilla because the items were not stolen in the first place.

Just a bit of input there. It seems rather out of place and actually supports only a fraction of ways to play that quest than vanilla does.

Actually, I have something that you might find useful.

I play through the thieves' guild questline and never sneak. I don't usually steal, either, unless it's items for delvin.

Vanilla Skyrim actually allows for non-thieves to not play a thief and still enjoy the questline.

I'm wondering if this goldenglow ownership was something that bethesda had mentioned in their code, because that would actually make it something that didn't need to be patched if it wasn't.

No thieves' guild quest areas have normal items as stolen instead of taken, with the exception of the meadery, which still has plenty of items to take. Plus, I kill Aringoth. He shouldn't be able to own things when he's dead.

I didn't have that problem in vanilla because the items were not stolen in the first place.

Just a bit of input there. It seems rather out of place and actually supports only a fraction of ways to play that quest than vanilla does.

I had to come back just to say thank you for your post. but I highly doubt they will do anything to fix this. as they believe I'm trying to exploit the game. but at the very least I no longer feel alone in my point of view, and for that alone you deserve a thank you.

Beth leaves stuff out all the time. It's still a bug. (And a logical one, considering they dislike the thieves guild.)

It's still a bug.

I would say that's up for debate. I can understand how it would be a bug if not having ownership of a building prevented the NPC from being able to do something that said NPC was meant to do such as walk into said building. but to simply call it a bug because everything in said building is take-able rather then stealing is rather pushing your authority. especially when said fix breaks an NPC.

as I've said many times over and over again, I have no care as to the status of said items but when said fix actually breaks said NPC then I have a problem with it. if I had been looking to exploit the game I wouldn't of brought this to the attention of the people who are in charge to begin with I would of simply made my own exploit or looked for another person who had already made one. or even simply have never used the program to start with. and I even mentioned about 2 or 3 other glitches resulting from the whole "this building is now owned by this NPC" type of fix, which got totally ignored. should I not be able to go talk to Wylandriah simply because the Jarl of Riften wants to go to sleep, and refuses to do anything except stand in front of me and say "you need to leave now!"? but maybe that's no longer a problem, I have no idea.

but I've already given up on trying to convince any of you of my intentions if you want to fix it you can fix it. but I don't need a fix. in fact I have no idea if this is even still a problem. as I have not played threw the thieves guild in quite some time now, and the last time I tried, it wasn't with the unofficial patch. but based off gamblerrur's post I assume it is.

I would say that's up for debate.

It's not up for debate. This is a long settled issue. It's a legitimate bug that's been fixed.

Necro'ing a 2 year old post to rehash the same arguments you made back then isn't going to fly. So we're going to lock this now before this gets out of hand.