[RELz] Point The Way

Arthmoor

point-the-way-logo.jpg

Ever travel the roads and wonder how it is people find their way? Have you noticed that the roads in many places simply don't have signs that tell you where you can go while traveling them? If you were a foreign visitor to Skyrim, you've got no hope of being able to travel the intricate road network without stopping to read your map every so often, even when you're at a major intersection. Worry no more! While you weren't looking, The Empire sent out its trusty civil engineers (surely Skyrim has some) and they set about marking the roads to better assist travelers in finding their way.

This mod's aim is fairly simple. Road signs have been placed at several major intersections that were either lacking signs, or didn't have enough signs to indicate the full extent of where you could travel on a road. In some cases, the smaller towns and villages aren't even mentioned - despite Bethesda having created signs for them! Others that were pointed the wrong way or had the wrong city being represented have been fixed as well.

Download Locations

AFK Mods
TES Alliance

Installation Requirements

Official Skyrim patch 1.9.32.0.8 or greater.

Installation - Wrye Bash BAIN

Drop the archive into your Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers folder, then install as usual.
Make sure the mod is active in the Wrye Bash mods tab.

Installation - Manual

Drop the .esp into your Data folder.
Activate the mod using whatever management tool suits you.

Uninstalling

Remove the ESP file from your Data folder. No permanent changes are made by this mod.

Load Order

Load order should not matter terribly much as most of these are going to be away from anything important.

Compatibility

Works with any road sign texture replacers you're using. These are strictly vanilla road signs that have been placed.

Disclaimer

This mod is not made, guaranteed, or supported by Microsoft, Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, or any of their affiliates.

That was quick Arthmoor.

I like the title and I got the feeling that you want to point the way to AFK Mods. :P

Version 1.0.1

Compatibility tweaks for my Keld-Nar village mod.
Fixed an issue that left the Oakwood mod by Thirteen Oranges without its sign post.

I love this mod, the simple ideas are the best.

Keld-Nar ?, have you been examining old lore maps again, sounds suspiciously like the Argonian's are going to have a new home in skyrim to me :)

Something I'm poking away at in Eastmarch, next to the Mzulft ruins.

Isn't that close to the Frost Crypt (sorry I don't recall the exact name)?   You know where you can talk to a Nord female (I don't remember her name) who has just fought and kill her former gang member.

• 5 months later...

I was checking this in TES5edit and noticed an unusual conflict with USKP.

Block 0, -1; SubBLock 0, -3; 000097B1; HelgenRiverwoodCrossroads; Temporary; 000D8D9F; RoadSignFalkreath01L [sTAT:000D8D9B]

USKP changes this to RoadSignFalkreath01R [sTAT:000D8D9C]

Which one is correct?

EDIT - ALso, I like this mod. :)

• 1 month later...

Version 1.0.2

Moved the injected compatibility records to inject into Update.esm instead of Skyrim.esm to stop the CK from being annoying about it.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that this mod adds an extra (potentially unnecessary) wooden sign post (00054C2C) near the existing one (020018F3) at HelgenRiverwoodCrossroads. I don't know if this was intentional, but the post doesn't have any signs on it. [screenshot - shows the wooden post in question]

• 3 weeks later...

The link Pete posted seems not to be a valid image.

The link should work now. I'm not sure what happened with the old one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've not been a user, but downloaded because of some complaints by touring carriages users.

Pretty hard to find, but I've got reports that some of the posts are in the road. Got to make sure the posts are outside the preferred navmesh, and never in the middle of 3-way intersections....

Some of the commentary goes away. Several spots apparent in TES5Edit. Need to ensure PTW loads before TC.

People report BS more than fact on Nexus it seems. If you're expecting me to act on this in some way, I need proof, not speculative hearsay from reports I know nothing about.

So far as I remember, there are no road posts actually on the road surfaces - because that would be stupid from the perspective of the poor sod who had to plant the post.

I have no idea what you're on about with road commentary. Point the Way does not even touch dialogue at all.

Too true.

Commentary is triggered by location change. In some places, by planting a new post, you've also modified the next higher up CELL header back to vanilla, which is missing the changed location information. Usually these are places like the bridges across the river to Trevas' Watch or Darkwater Crossing, where including the bridge cell triggers the location change (otherwise the wagon wouldn't ever see the location).

I've since taken a trip from Riften to Solitude. There are a couple of posts planted in the acute angle of a bend instead of on the outside of the bend. Guess the engineers didn't read the AASHTO Green Book. The wagon tries to go through it. Just makes a banging sound for me. Maybe it's caused some folks more pain?

I'll try some more trips and make up a compatibility patch for you later, probably after 2.0.4 is released so not too many things on the table at once.

All of the location data matches that which appears in vanilla and the USKP, so I don't see the problem. If you're adding locations to places that previously had none, I can't be held responsible for that.

BTW, I've been modding these games a lot longer than you have. I know full well how upstream conflicts work and how the game deals with that. Every mod I make for them all has always carried forward the data they need to. With Oblivion that was a lot easier since we had Bash at its full potential. Skyrim, not so much, but 5 minutes with Edit will deal with anything Bash can't right now.

I can't go moving posts (which I'm not convinced are an issue yet) without knowing WHICH posts, and you haven't told me that yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Version 1.0.4

Resolved a minor conflict in Stonehills with Enhanced Towns & Cities.

• 2 months later...

Tried this again (with Touring Carriages), had even more problems than 9 months ago. In addition to the other posts in the preferred navmesh and in acute angle turns, now I cannot even start a trip from Windhelm. I hit the new post there and turn over. I've tried moving the starting position farther up the road to get some speed before hitting it -- no joy.

Also, what is the technical reason for leaving the old post in place at HelgenRiverwood crossing, and making a new one in the acute corner?

Anyway, I've spent 6 hours going through them all, and have a replacement file. Do you want to look at it? Where should I post it?

• 4 weeks later...

Tried this again (with Touring Carriages), had even more problems than 9 months ago. In addition to the other posts in the preferred navmesh and in acute angle turns, now I cannot even start a trip from Windhelm. I hit the new post there and turn over. I've tried moving the starting position farther up the road to get some speed before hitting it -- no joy.

Also, what is the technical reason for leaving the old post in place at HelgenRiverwood crossing, and making a new one in the acute corner?

Anyway, I've spent 6 hours going through them all, and have a replacement file. Do you want to look at it? Where should I post it?

Nothing about where the signposts are positioned has changed in over a year. Not sure what to tell you without knowing specifically which ones you're talking about. They can't all be problems because many of them are vanilla posts.

The empty post is there to provide somewhere for the Oakwood mod to hang its sign so it isn't just floating free when that mod is installed.

If you want to send me the file, PM it. Should be able to attach an archive to a PM.

There's a minor placement issue with one of the sign plaques on a sign post (000E90EE): http://postimg.org/image/7mw6nibqb/

It's the Morthal one shown in the screenshot. The RefID is xx0012e9.

Turned out to be not just the one, but most of them that were placed badly. Why only the Morthals, I don't know, but it'll be fixed on the next update.