(Dawnguard) Lost to the Ages quest wont work

Razgriz032

i collect all the Aetherium Shards fine, but when i go to the Forge at Bthalft, Katria wont be there so i can't talk to her and unlock the entrance to the Forge.
i can still place the shards in the Dwarvern Mechanism but then she still doesn't appear and the Forge remains closed :(

i wouldn't worry if this was any other quest, but it's a Steam achievement, and it's really annoying me.
please help.

There are some known bugs with this quest.  I seriously doubt that your problem is caused by Dawnguard because it is a vanilla quest..  My son actually gave up on this one with the PS3 version.

If the OP use mods or hasn't cleaned Dawnguard.esm yet then hence that quest could be affected by dirty edits, so I think the OP need to provide both loadorder (use BOSS) and list any mods that's dirty (include what ITM, UDR any mods has) here.

This was one of those things we looked into for the UDGP. I tried everything I could think of to try and reproduce the variety of reports on this, but the quest always started properly whenever I read the book OR picked up a shard. Even if I consoled my way straight to where any of them were stored. Plus after investigating, it also became clear it was impossible to enter Arkngthamz without also starting the quest.

• 6 months later...
I'm having this issue too. I tried to contact Bethsoft Support, but they seem too be too much focused in blame mods instead of provide concrete solutions.

I'm a developer (not a game one) and I know everything must be tested and anything coming outside the original developers may be problematic. However I don't use too much mods and certainly not mods that affect quests. I try to avoid them because quests are one of the most important aspects of the game.

Anyway...

I'm here to provide some information I have not found anywhere or with anyone who experienced this problem. An information Bethsoft supporter seems reluctant to accept.

It's simple, really. What if the misc quest "Investigate Arkngthamz" is tied to Dawnguard questline?

The first time I played Skyrim with a friend I read "The Aetherium Wars" while running Dawnguard's quests (Soul Cairn or Forgotten Vale, if I remember correctly). This time, in my own PC, with my own Steam account I decided to complete the sidequests after the main questlines.

And the book doesn't do anything.

I don't keep too much save files with me so, revert to a state before Dawnguard is impossible, but one single old save I've kept: Helgen, after the prisioners arrive cutscene, right before character creation.

And last night I did another test. I loaded this save, passed through the initial steps of "Unbound" and using coc console command I traveled to "Bard's College", an easy place to find the book, I read it and voilà, the misc quest started.

I can't test any further but I think the competent hands of you, modders, can do exceptional use of this information.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have checked and/or confirmed this issue I stated above as valid? I'm not playing Skyrim anymore but it would be nice to get this fixed, specially because it involves one of the Steam achievements.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I played Skyrim with a friend I read "The Aetherium Wars" while running Dawnguard's quests (Soul Cairn or Forgotten Vale, if I remember correctly). This time, in my own PC, with my own Steam account I decided to complete the sidequests after the main questlines.

And the book doesn't do anything.

I don't keep too much save files with me so, revert to a state before Dawnguard is impossible, but one single old save I've kept: Helgen, after the prisioners arrive cutscene, right before character creation.

And last night I did another test. I loaded this save, passed through the initial steps of "Unbound" and using coc console command I traveled to "Bard's College", an easy place to find the book, I read it and voilà, the misc quest started.

I can't test any further but I think the competent hands of you, modders, can do exceptional use of this information.

I did exactly the same as you did (do as much of the side-quests in the middle of the Dawnguard quest), read the book and the quest started just fine - Investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz.

Anybody have checked and/or confirmed this issue I stated above as valid? I'm not playing Skyrim anymore but it would be nice to get this fixed, specially because it involves one of the Steam achievements.

I remember having troubles getting the "investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz" to appear in the misc. section of the journal on several playthroughs, even though I read "The Aetherium Wars." Of course, this was before I switched over to PC (from the 360), which obviously has no bug fixes. The only solution for me was to uninstall the DG DLC, make a hard save (without DG installed), then re-install DG and restart the entire questline.

• 4 weeks later...

I did exactly the same as you did (do as much of the side-quests in the middle of the Dawnguard quest), read the book and the quest started just fine - Investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz.

No, no I did the opposite. I ran the sidequests after the main questline. That's why I'm so convinced this bug is tied to main questline.

I remember having troubles getting the "investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz" to appear in the misc. section of the journal on several playthroughs, even though I read "The Aetherium Wars." Of course, this was before I switched over to PC (from the 360), which obviously has no bug fixes. The only solution for me was to uninstall the DG DLC, make a hard save (without DG installed), then re-install DG and restart the entire questline.

Well, if this solves the problem...

I read somewhere even a hard save tracks of some old data and this i why the save files are so big.

While playing, I'm a collector. I get every weapon and armor, in all possible varieties... Do you know if I do a hard savefile, after uninstall and reinstall Dawnguard, when loading this new save, the simple fact of have Dawnguard installed will be enough to keep my items?

It's pretty annoying to get everything from this DLC. I mean, all Dawnguards' Armor sets and ancient weapons, all vampire armor sets and clothes...

Well, if this solves the problem...

I read somewhere even a hard save tracks of some old data and this i why the save files are so big.

While playing, I'm a collector. I get every weapon and armor, in all possible varieties... Do you know if I do a hard savefile, after uninstall and reinstall Dawnguard, when loading this new save, the simple fact of have Dawnguard installed will be enough to keep my items?

It's pretty annoying to get everything from this DLC. I mean, all Dawnguards' Armor sets and ancient weapons, all vampire armor sets and clothes...

If you do this you will lose all items added by the expansion in your save and the DG DLC quest progress will reset, unfortunately. 

I found these possible solutions on the UESP and TES wikis, however, I'm unable to confirm whether or not they work.

Reading The Aetherium Wars may not add the miscellaneous objective "Investigate Arkngthamz" to your quest log. Upon investigating Arkngthamz, "Lost to the Ages" may not be added to quest log either, meaning that you will be unable to complete the quest.

• A way to fix either bug above is to reload a save in which you have not started the Dawnguard questline, then drop the The Atherium Wars and any crystal shards if you have obtained any, and pick the book back up and read it. The quest should start, and then you can pick up shard.

Sometimes when you pick up the book the quest isn't activated therefore making the quest impossible to start.

• Solution: Read book, Travel to Arkngthamz and Katria will warn you to turn back, upon finishing conversation with her the quest starts up.

Edit: These don't work from my testing; I recently encountered this bug again. This bug is a real pain.

Well, it seems as though I've run into this bug again too. I can't seem to find a way to get the miscellaneous journal entry to "investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz." I wonder if this bug has anything to do with "player character level"? My current character is level 47. I went back to an older save file (same character), which was at level 8 and the quest started when reading the book.

By the way, does anyone know if it is safe to temporarily uncheck Dawnguard and any dependent mods in the game launcher (under Data Files), make a new hard save, and then re-enable those items in the launcher? Or, will this mess up my saved game? I think my only option at this point is to restart the DLC questline. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

It would mess up your saved game, without any doubt.

I figured that would probably be the case, so I'll probably use a previous game save that didn't have the bug yet. I guess it will take me back about 20 player levels (and 40 or so hours of gameplay), but at least I will able to do that quest on this character and not risk corrupting my save.

Just an update for this issue: I am pretty sure I narrowed down the cause (or a cause of this bug), although I can't really understand why it would be the cause. This may sound rather strange (and it's kind of hard to explain), but after entering a particular cell or cells in the area in Eastmarch, which is roughly in the vicinity of Mzulft (see this screenshot); reading the book (The Aetherium Wars) will no longer allow the "Investigate the ruins of Arkngthamz" journal entry to appear in the player's journal. I have tested this thoroughly on a number of saves (prior to this bug occurring) at different levels and such, so I am positive that this is what is causing the bug.

Edit: see issue #14130 in the TracDown

• 2 weeks later...

I still think this is quest is tied to Dawnguard's Questline. It has to be. In one playthrough the quest work fine because the quesline is not finished, the second paythrough it doesn't work because I've finished the questline and a third try, using the first possible save file (after Unbound) worked again because, again, the questline was not finished.

I was thinking... Is there a way to add an NPC, far away the buggy Eastmarch lands, specifically to give this quest to the player?

I still think this is quest is tied to Dawnguard's Questline. It has to be. In one playthrough the quest work fine because the quesline is not finished, the second paythrough it doesn't work because I've finished the questline and a third try, using the first possible save file (after Unbound) worked again because, again, the questline was not finished.

I don't know for sure, to be honest with you, whether the main DG questline has anything to do with the problem; there could be multiple causes for the issue. The only reason I was able to determine that entering the cell(s) near Mzulft (in Eastmarch hold) was a cause of this quest being blocked out was due to the fact that I went through a whole bunch (something like 30) of my old saves on one character and realized that something I had done between two saves had caused the issue.

I tried all kinds of things to reproduce the issue (including a number of misc quests that I had done in Riften) and none of those seemed to trigger the bug. After 3 or 4 hours of trying to narrow down the issue I retraced my steps (from memory) and remembered that I had walked from Riften to Windhelm and surprisingly found that the Mzulft area (for whatever reason) ended up blocking the quest out. I have absolutely no idea why this (of all things) causes the issue.

It's not just blackpete who's confirmed the cause, another person on BGS forum has confirmed that visiting Mzulft area before getting the quest prevents it from starting, so it seems like a logical place to look for something screwy. There's no need to add an NPC to give the quest, just find out what's preventing it from starting, fix it and the book will do its trick.

Mzulft area ? Or the Dwarven Storeroom near ? (there is an Aetherum shard in the Dwarven storeroom).

It seems to be related to one or more cells in the exterior area (near the main Riften -> Windhelm road), from what I can tell. See this image. I'm not certain whether it has anything to do with the Storeroom or not.

I was able to trigger the bug without actually discovering the Mzulft location itself (or walking up the steps towards the storeroom), so perhaps it is the area roughly to the west and southwest, I'm not certain how to figure this out.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this thread: It appears that Arthmoor (and the UP Team) have figured out "a fix" for this issue (link). Hopefully, this "quest-breaking" problem will no longer exist when UDGP 2.0.1 comes out.

• 1 month later...
Universal Solution!

Console commands

setobjectivecompleted dlc1ld

coc dlc1bthalft01

enter the forge, do same things on closing the valves ecc... it works.

How odd, the last play through I did I went to the storeroom at Mzulft first which is how I started the quest up. I had no issues finishing it at all and this was before 2.0.1

Either way, the issues were addressed