• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• BlackPete

• DayDreamer

• AndalayBay

• 2 weeks later...

This is working beautifully so far. In fact it was kind of funny. I did my usual trek up to Winterhold to join the college and when I got up there, Faralda wasn't on the bridge. I thought that was odd. I decided it was late, so I went back down to the Inn intending to rent a room. On my way there, one of the guards mentioned something about vampire attacks. Now my character was only level 9 at the time. Anyway I went into the Inn and Faralda was there - right at the door. I talked to her and she started her usual spiel. I was able to buy a cheap Firebolt spell from her, which was a bonus. It got to the point where I was supposed to cast the spell and of course, I couldn't. So I left the Inn expecting her to follow and voila! I discovered the reason she was hiding in the Inn. Very easy kill when you don't have a ton of NPC's in your way.

Also the two other townsfolk - the couple that argue all the time - I don't know their names, they did their usual row and the guy started to head to the Inn before I went up to the bridge. When I came back down, he and his wife returned to their house and went inside.

Once the battle was over, everybody came out and went back to their routines. I just thought it was funny that all the townsfolk knew of the pending attack before I did. Very happy with the results. thumbsup.gif

Good to hear, exactly what I was aiming for, although probably lucky it didn't disrupt the bridge scene :)

Winterhold is barren enough without vampires killing everyone off.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.0.1

Found and removed some rogue data which could have prevented the protection quest from launching.

Corrected a packaging error from having archived the wrong ESP, which was leading to errors being thrown about a missing script that isn't supposed to exist anymore.

• 4 months later...

Version 1.0.2

Corrected the monitoring quest to count a broken alias as a dead vampire. While this may lead to false positives on one being dead, it prevents a situation where the attack quest might remain running longer than necessary and cause AI disruption.
The cultists from Dragonborn should no longer be caught in the safety net. dunPrisonerFaction is now considered exempt, which the cultists are a member of.
Fixed a bug where the protection quest would terminate too early due to an error in checking the number of dead vampires against the total.
Fixed a bug where multiple detection events could pile up and lead to script overload, and potential CTDs.

• 2 months later...

Version 1.0.3

Vampire attacks in Solitude, Whiterun, and Windhelm should no longer result in vampires or their thralls and death hounds lurking about near the stables, causing the player to believe the attack on the city was over when it really wasn't.
NPCs who are marked as being ghosts will no longer be subject to filling a protected alias. Helgi in Morthal is one example of this.

• 3 months later...

Does this mod cause data corruption buildup over time like was occurring with your Run for Your Lives mod? I'm referring to this fix (in case it's not clear). I noticed that you recently updated the RFYL mod to fix that issue. I realize that these mods are separate and everything, but that they also have a similar function, so I thought I should at least ask. Thanks.

I'm going to have to rebuild this one differently anyway. It's not suffering the corruption issue, but it is having trouble managing more than one attack at the same time. Bethesda, in their infinite wisdom, made it possible for a city to be hit by more than one event at the same time. So they'll all need to be handled independently so that when one shuts down while another is still in progress it won't bring the NPCs back out to be slaughtered anyway.

I'm going to have to rebuild this one differently anyway. It's not suffering the corruption issue, but it is having trouble managing more than one attack at the same time. Bethesda, in their infinite wisdom, made it possible for a city to be hit by more than one event at the same time. So they'll all need to be handled independently so that when one shuts down while another is still in progress it won't bring the NPCs back out to be slaughtered anyway.

Thanks. I really like the idea for both of these mods, because (like you) I get tired of NPCs getting slaughtered and having to reload a previous save, because they are not smart enough to stay away from enemies (like vampires and dragons) in which they have next to zero chance at beating in combat.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.1

The protection system has been broken down into individual events so that when a city is attacked by more than one type of event the quest will not prematurely shut down and put the NPCs in danger again.

That's awesome you were able to fix the issue where a city gets hit by more than one attack at once. I'm excited to try it out!

By the way, I've noticed that often times with this mod (and also your "Run For Your Lives" mod) that NPCs who have a high disposition towards me (from doing a favor for them) will not run into the buildings like everyone else. Several examples are Beitild (the mine boss in Dawnstar) and Adrianne Avenicci (the blacksmith in Whiterun), who for whatever reason will insist on helping me out in fighting off the vampires and usually end up dead. I realize that companions and guards are meant to stand and fight, but neither Beitild or Adrianne fall into this category.

Skyrim being Skyrim in that case. There's nothing in this that exempts people who like you from being sent fleeing.

• 4 weeks later...

I experienced a weird scenario in Whiterun after a vampire attack where everybody in town continues to stay indoors (3 in-game days have passed) even though the vampire attack "supposedly" had ended. Shops and homes are locked in the city and there are whole bunch of NPCs still hanging around in the Bannered Mare (screenshot). I can't seem figure out how to get NPCs to go back to their usual schedules in Whiterun. If you would like to take a look at this at some point, here is a link to a save file in Whiterun. By the way, I don't have any other mods that modify vampire attacks in any way installed in my game.

Also, I received this papyrus error (see this issue) that seemed to be related to vampires, but I can't tell whether or not it is related (in any way) to the issue I'm having with WVA.

Note: I've narrowed the issue down to arthwvacitizensfleeattacktype7; this quest appears to be stuck at stage 0.

When using the console command setstage arthwvacitizensfleeattacktype7 255, a whole bunch of NPCs started flooding out of the inn and things seem to go back to normal.

Tracker issue for WVA: #14377

When you ran into this, what exactly were you attacking? The type 7 attack script can only run if you're engaged with the "traveler" one that shows up as a lone NPC.

There is one hole in that scenario - the attack starts because he found you and went hostile, then you left the location instead of killing him. I overlooked that part but will be correcting that. Otherwise his attack script works properly.

Also, do you have Wet & Cold installed?

When you ran into this, what exactly were you attacking? The type 7 attack script can only run if you're engaged with the "traveler" one that shows up as a lone NPC.

There is one hole in that scenario - the attack starts because he found you and went hostile, then you left the location instead of killing him. I overlooked that part but will be correcting that. Otherwise his attack script works properly.

Also, do you have Wet & Cold installed?

I was attacking a master vampire that wandered into the city, who spawned soon after I killed the disguised vampire in the black robes who attacked me. It's possible that the master vampire encounter had already spawned prior to the guy in the robes approaching me, because a guard was talking about how something should be done about these vampire attacks. It seems like there were two events going on at the same time, which I know you thought you had fixed with your last update. There are number of different situations that involve vampires, so I'm not certain which one involves the Master Vampire (he didn't have the two thralls accompanying him or the death hounds). 

I don't have Wet & Cold installed, because I've never heard of that mod before.

My mod list (BOSS)

Well ok, if you had two events spawn then that's why they didn't come out when you killed the type 7 guy. The OTHER event was still active at the time.

The problem I was fixing wasn't that you could get two events, it was that the system I had in place couldn't properly handle protecting more than one.

Well ok, if you had two events spawn then that's why they didn't come out when you killed the type 7 guy. The OTHER event was still active at the time.

The problem I was fixing wasn't that you could get two events, it was that the system I had in place couldn't properly handle protecting more than one.

That makes sense now. I think that was definitely what happened. I'd assume it's possible to fix the issue with the type 7 vampire guy (from what you mentioned in your last post).

Also, was it bad that I used a console command to set arthwvacitizensfleeattacktype7 to stage 255 (like I mentioned in post #19)? This seemed like the only way to solve the issue (getting the NPCs to resume their usual schedules) without uninstalling the mod all together.

Also, thanks for clarifying the "two attack at once" fix, I guess I didn't understand that correctly until now.

I wanted to mention that I experienced the same issue again (as mentioned in the above posts). This time it was in Windhelm, where a lone Master Vampire attacked and then soon after the guy in black robes walked up to me and attacked. The people remained stuck in the inn and their homes indefinitely until I typed in the following console command: arthwvacitizensfleeattacktype5 255. If you need another save file to reproduce this particular issue, let me know and I'll upload one for you (in case this is a different situation than in my post above).

In Windhelm, did you check outside by the stables? That seems to be a recurring problem even though I've tried to account for this in the scripting. I don't think Papyrus much cares for my attempts to resolve these kinds of things.