[RELz] Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement [Legendary Edition]

Arthmoor

I see.  But I don't understand how the *extra* Steel War Axe also disappeared from the smelters creation menu when it souldn't have.  Was that intentional or was it something else?

Oh, that's probably just due to an engine bug where the inventory isn't tracking them as 2 separate axes when you equipped one of them.

I don't think that's an engine bug, because when you change the recipe for an equipped armor or weapon your edits also disable the actual equipment from being tempered.

So see this is an un-expected side effect, which I think are not intentional it's just something you couldn't predict.

EDIT:  When I look back of what I have done the past few days.  I seems to recall that at least one occasion or two my PC had a Steel Armor equipped at the same time my character had another Steel Armor in the inventory, but both Steel Armor(s) was shown in the creating list for the smelter.

So why could I see both Steel Armor(s) in that creating an item list?  I think the answer is that both Steel Armor(s) have different ID's in the CK while the other Steel Weapon(s) only have one unique ID for each weapon, which could explain why my *second* Steel War Axe didn't show up in the creating list for the smelter.

Your edit for the recipe only disable the actual ID from being *destroyed* in the smelter, but also preventing another piece of equipment that the player had equipped from being tempered.

Edited by Leonardo

Leo, you're wrong, and I honestly don't have the patience to explain it at this point. The recipes in Ars Metallica have absolutely NOTHING to do with the vanilla crafting recipes so they cannot do what you're claiming.

• 7 months later...

May I have permission to release a patch for this that ads compatibility with Legendary skyrim crossbows? This mod is still required as a master.

Version 1.2.4

Smelting an Ancient Nord Bow or a Honed Ancient Nord Bow is not supposed to provide Dwarven ingots. They should be steel.

• 5 months later...

My Smithing skill is advancing way too quickly. It's already 51 and that's about double all my main skills. I've removed the smithing skill from using Tanning Racks and Smelters, but I think most of the advances are from mining. I'm at the stage of the game where I'm doing a lot of exploring, so I'm mining every vein I find. If I replace your mining script with the original, will that still work with your mod? I'm guessing I'd have to remove your customized script from the BSA to revert it to vanilla, correct? Another option would be to reduce the skill increment from mining. That would require that I put the source script in the scripts\source folder and compile it from the Skyrim folder, correct? I have Notepad++ set up to call the compiler, but haven't managed to get it working yet. :P

I really don't see how mining could be contributing that much since it's a flat amount of points awarded and skills take more and more points with each level before you can gain the next. Even if you mined every ore vein everywhere that shouldn't be an overly large amount over time. Honestly, it sounds like you're progressing smithing at a rate that would be expected if you're doing a lot of it. Every other skill in the game is the same way.

Anyway, yes, if you want to remove the mining bonus you'd need to override the script. Whether you remove it from the BSA or recompile the USLEEP one loose is up to you I guess.

It actually is a lot. I gain a point in smithing after mining three ore veins, so I can gain two smithing points just from one mine. However my destruction and conjuration skills, which are my main skills, are only 42 and 32, respectively. One-handed and light armor are 40 and 39, respectively. My smithing skill is 54. So I'm finding that my guy is level 18, but I haven't even been to all the cities yet and I'm getting hammered by bears. That does give me a chance to work on conjuration and destruction, but they don't level as fast.

Basically with the way I'm playing, the extra points in smithing are unbalancing my character. I haven't even made any iron daggers yet!

So the loose script would override the one in your BSA?

Yes, the loose script would override the BSA.

I don't see how it could be advancing your smithing skill that fast to mine stuff. I've tested the hell out of that thing and for me it only advances the skill early on at a rate of about 1 point for every 9 swings and the rate drops off considerably after that to the point where mining at smithing level 50 would take me ages to reach 51.

You've got it set to 35%, which means that every three veins will give you a skill point. You even said that in your readme. :D If I wanted to mess with the scripts, I would set it to 10%. Perhaps an ini to allow people to configure this?

It's not 35% though. It's 35 raw points. 35 raw points should be next to useless to you at high levels.

I'm not gonna go through the hassle of writing up an MCM or ini reader for one minor setting either :P

• 1 month later...

Version 1.2.5

Constructing the Thieves Guildmaster Hood was not using the improved Thieves Guild Hood like it was supposed to. The recipe was incorrectly looking for boots.
Dwarven ingots made from the smelting recipe from the unofficial patch will no longer cause duplicate menu entries to appear.
Making ingots out of iron daggers will now require two daggers instead of one.
Making ingots out of ebony daggers will now require two daggers instead of one.

• 4 months later...
On 2012-04-29 at 6:11 AM, Arthmoor said:

Provide skill advancement for the use of the smelter to melt down ore.

Just curious.  I wonder why I cannot melt down the Malachite ore in the smelter when the Glass perk, some armor and weapons requires Malachite ingots, has the required perk and my smithing level is 88?

Probably because most glass items are mixtures of moonstone and malachite. It's impossible to return both to you when you smelt something made from those. So some glass items will return malachite, others return moonstone. If TES VI has equivalent functionality to FO4 in terms of item scrapping then this won't be an issue anymore and a mod like this could return proportional amounts of both.

Then those glass items needs to have Malachite instead of having both Moonstone and Malachite.

How about the armor have Malachite as it seems to have a better armor rating than the Moonstone and when the player is melting down Glass armor then " X  " Malachite ingot is added to the inventory?

I don't think the weapons needs to be changed.  Although, Glass weapons could produce Moonstone ingots.  I also understand if you won't update Ars Metallica for SLE, should you decide to amend my suggestion if it's feasible of course.

Tell Bethesda they need to alter their crafting recipes then. I based the returns you get for smelting on how much of their stuff visually appears to contain one element or the other and the fact that the vanilla formulas contain a mix of them. I cannot provide both. It's not possible.

And no, obviously I will not be updating it for LE for any reason since I've shut down support for all of my LE mods as of January 1.