[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

Yes, yes, give in to your mods... :PSpeaking of the Steam summer sale, Skyrim is actually one of the 50% off ones today. Also, $3 KOTOR. Which is amazing. $10 Orange Box. Great stuff.

Let me know if the thane thing in Markarth ends up where you expect. It's entirely possible I forgot to account for all that when I did the rebuild. (yeah, fuck you TESVSnip)

Speaking of Steam, a generous user on the Oblivion forum gifted me a copy of Two Worlds 2. It's sort of blah, but has a decent enough story behind it to hold interest despite that.

Edit: A little further and I've finished helping the 5 people. Raerek still has the option to buy the house the Jarl does not recognize that I own it. :(

I guess you didn't see this part?

Is there more that needs to be done? Like start the MQ? Also, can one not start the Civil War without starting the MQ? Ulfric seems to be MIA.

Also, also, starting in the TG and trying to get out of the ratway .... those 2 guys annihilate a poor little level 1 gal.

Yeah, missed that. God dammit, I guess I need to recheck all that. No, you don't need to start the MQ for that.

Nope, the civil war is too closely tied to the MQ ( and the readme should have explained this :P )

Even as poorly as I play the game I've never had trouble evading the denizens of the Ratway on the way back out. I suppose I could alias-kill them all but where's the fun in that? :P

Hmm. Ok. Found the problem, but no idea why it's a problem. The house purchase variables are not updating. So it does little good for me to have set them to update to the right values if they're simply not going to set to something to begin with :P

Papyrus, I hate you so much.

Nah, don't worry about the TG start, I was just complaining about my own ineptitude. I turned down the difficulty slider from Adept and managed to get through with a couple of potions. BUT ... odd thing. When you re-enter the ratway, the walkway is back up even though it was down when you left.I'm gonna console my way through the "buy the house" thing for now.

Got it. Stupid Papyrus wasn't starting the house purchase quest fast enough. I think some of the optimizations I've done are catching up to the bottlenecks that didn't exist before :P

Just ran a new guy through to getting the house in Markarth, went to see the steward, and he's now got the decoration topic instead. Which is also rightly saying there's nothing left to decorate.

The thane quest there still isn't immediately available but that doesn't seem to be causing any real problems.

Companions Guild start is a little rocky. Gets stuck after giving Aela her shield. Won't advance until the fight going on upstairs is over and Skjor goes downstairs to join her.The fight is usually over after taking Vilkas' sword up to Eorland and getting Aela's shield. By the time you go back in Jorvaskrr it should be over, but in this case it isn't.

Which is why the readme says you have to wait on the fight to end before getting started :)

That's also a vanilla issue btw, not much to be done about that other than ride it out. Bethesda has that whole quest on a tightrope that can break at any moment.

Oh, I see, it's way up in known issues.How about this. Has anyone else mentioned that with TG start, Brynjolf never changes from his fine clothes to his TG outfit?

Just started a new game. I enabled logging and keep getting these errors:

[07/26/2012 - 11:44:57PM] Cannot open store for class "ARTH_LAL_StatueScript", missing file?

[07/26/2012 - 11:44:57PM] error: Unable to bind script ARTH_LAL_StatueScript to (1200C19A) because their base types do not match

The missing file one only occurs when I start Skyrim. The bind script one continues as I play.

It's a script that was removed but I missed removing it from the statue. No harm there. It'll be taken care of on the next update.

Arrrgh. Started two different chars today .. one a DB start, one an Orc start. Now that I want to kick start the MQ, neither can enter the Helgen Keep cave.Instant CTD.Only mods I have are the USKP, LAL and Ars Metallica. Any thoughts/troubleshooting advice?

The appropriate USKP version for Patch 1.6, or have you taken the plunge into Patch 1.7?

No idea why such a slim load order would induce any sort of crash problem in the Helgen cave unless it's a cursed location.

Any texture and/or mesh mods that might be pushing VRAM over the limits? Hi-res DLC pack?

Worst case, as long as you've followed the startup quest to the point of seeing Alduin, you don't need to go into the cave. You can skip straight to going to the Jarl of Whiterun if nothing else works.

Nope, no hi res textures, just body mods. Still on 1.6 with USKP 1.05c. I even run on Med quality and it still does it. Not sure it would be a VRAM issue either. I can let my PC sit for 5-10 mins, or fresh from reboot, go back in and it still happens, over and over again.It's just my game fucked up, again, not LAL. After jump starting the MQ by talking to Alvor, got a CTD at Bleak Falls Barrow. Also found the fur armour texture of one of the bandits messed up, and coming across a corpse of a wolf I'd already killed saw the old infinite texture stretch. Oh, and Embershard Mine, half of it is missing. :shrug: About ready to give up on this game. Having to fix files every day makes for a pretty poor product.

Well you could try the beta patch and see what comes of it. Lots of folks who say it's cured stuff like that. It certainly can't hurt anything if your game is in that bad a shape.

Eh, nope. It's the game files or my PC. A complete game reinstall fixed everything.Sad, since half the issues threads on Beth complain of the same thing and have the same advice to fix it.

Version 2.1.1

Further minor script optimizations to remove more calls to Game.GetPlayer().
Papyrus wasn't starting the house purchase quest fast enough which caused the house variables to not be set at all for property owner starts.
All submenus for the initial dialogue to choose a start now have "walk away" support to randomize the choices in those menus. This are also accessible via "Surprise me" options in each one.
The Left for Dead start now randomizes between 5 different locations. More may be added in a future update when more good locations are found.
The Helgen approach trigger is now equipped to deal with mounted players properly.
During the initial character generation, 3rd person mode will be available again after fixing the bed script to force a fade to black before swapping in the player's starting gear.
Made some fine tuning adjustments to the prison cell lighting to eliminate striping issues that were noticed.
Shady Sam gets a new outfit.

@Hana: Yes. That would be because Steam is very good at corrupting your files in transit and telling you nothing is wrong with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.1.2

The initial rumors in Helgen dialogue will now display a new objective to go to Solitude or Windhelm if it's asked outside of those two cities.
Dialogue referencing Shady Sam as wearing hooded leather armor has been updated to reflect his new outfit.
One of the bandit start options was still pointing to the old marker at Faldar's Tooth, causing bandits to remain permanently friendly to the player. Visit Nilheim to correct this, as this is the location that replaced Faldar's Tooth.
When choosing the shipwreck or Redguard start, the startup quest will no longer silently advance stages causing the dialogue to be blocked.
Further general script optimizations.
When getting close to Hadvar and Ralof in the cave, the objective marker will split to highlight them both instead of remaining focused on the middle of the cave floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.1.3

Set ownership on the exterior barrels and furniture at the farmhouse.
Added some salt piles to the farmhouse interior so the cooking pot can be used immediately.
Dialogue scripts for the statue were calling the wrong objective number after the 2.1 update changed them for the startup quest.

Did you change the MQ start? I see people talking about a "transition" near Helgen and an objective to talk to Shady Sam and I'm thinking "huh?" I just updated from 2.0 to 2.1.2 (without any problems like that guy on the OF) but haven't taken that char through it yet to see what's going on.I'd suggest you update the ReadMe if it's changed that much.

I never talked to Shady Sam. My RP had me going in that direction so I just sorta happened across the Helgen scenario deliberately by accident. Found the burned corpse, watched him magi-crumble before my eyes into invisible insta-ash after he somehow slipped his journal into my pocket (yes, I know I'm being obtuse), and did the whole Hadvar-Ralof routine. Now I'm back on my adventures, business as usual. I just hope no surprises await me when I get home [/jinx].