[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

IIRC the "Fast Travel to Skyrim" map cursor on the game map for Solstheim belongs to LAL.  Correct?

If so then I find it a bit odd that when I fast travel to Skyrim from Solstheim I ended up in Windhelm and not in Dawnstar, unless the Dawnstar location when fast travel from Solstheim to Skyrim is only available when the player have started a new game then playing as a Dunmer picked the Raven Rock starting location in the Abandoned Building in Raven Rock.

What I am trying to say here is that after I fast travel from Windhelm to any other location, except to Lakeview Manor, my horse in Lakeview Manor was also in the new location I fast travel to from Windhelm.  Is that normal? :unsure:

The marker goes from Solstheim to Windhelm. It never went to Dawnstar.

It's also not a marker LAL supplied.

It isn't a map marker from LAL?  I thought it were.  Anyway, I just checked the horse stable in Windhelm and my horse is there after I fast travel from Solstheim, so I guess that that map marker is part of vanilla.

Also, have you consider to expand the Solstheim starting location in LAL for the Nord race when starting a new game.  The player could have a house or a mountain cabin in the outskirts of Skaal Village.

Or there could be another outlaw option on Solstheim as a *former bandit* who is trying to do the right thing in life by just being a *legal* citizen regardless what race the player pick.   It could start in Brodir Grove.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Arthmoor,

I'm wondering if it is safe to adjust all my MCM menus in the startup cell before activating the statue. Also, is it safe to save and load within the startup cell?

Basically I am hoping to set up all my MCM options and have a save to go back to with everything configured if I ever want to restart the game without changing mods. As I have probably over 50 MCM menus (including some that "start" the associated mod), this could save me quite a bit of time.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the prison cell is safe to let your MCMs do their thing in. In fact, lots of people say it's one of the best ways to let them all settle in at the start.

You can also save and load just fine there. The only thing you can't do is safely upgrade a version of the mod from there. For that, you have to be past the point of being sent to your start location.

I have a small request for an alternative location for any player who wants to camp in the woods, but doesn't want to start the MQ with the original start location in LAL. :)

Choosing the campsite start will begin immediately with the encounter with Alduin.

I wish there could be another location for the "Camping in the woods" option somewhere else, let say in either The Reach or in the The Rift just to aviod to start the MQ if a player wants to be a ranger or just an adventurer.

Perhaps have a camping location in the western part of the Whiterun hold a little east of Rorikstead.

Sounds like a neat idea, but I would request that you keep the original camping location as well if you decide to implement this, Arthmoor.

I find the current "camping in the woods" option to be the best if you want to basically start vanilla while skipping the tutorial. :-)

Sounds like a neat idea, but I would request that you keep the original camping location as well if you decide to implement this, Arthmoor.

I find the current "camping in the woods" option to be the best if you want to basically start vanilla while skipping the tutorial. :-)

That's my reason for making a request for another location for the "Camping in the woods" option in LAL.

I agree, I too like the spot.  Far away from big cities and large towns, but still close to the civilization.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is user error, mod conflict or what.

I have USLEEP, LAL and Helgen Reborn knowingly affecting Helgen.  I chose to escape the cell.  I wandered my way to Ivarstead then followed the road to Helgen.  Saw Alduin take off and read the journal. I proceeded to go to Riverwood and talk to Alvor directly.  I skipped going into the cave or the keep.  Later after completing Diplomatic Immunity, I decided to head to Falkreath rather than continue with the main quest line.  On route I decided to make sure that the bandits had spawned and that things were okay for Helgen Reborn.  So far so good (except for some fake walls I could walk through, presumably from HR).  Enter the keep.  There are things in the keep that do not carry over the USLEEP edits, mainly position of items (but who knows what else).  As I'm going through the keep, I discover that in the torture chamber the torturer is dead along with the bandits but his assistant and three stormcloaks are just standing there.  Further in the cave where the bear is located both Hadvar and Ralof are chilling.

Shouldn't Hadvar and Ralof have been moved out somewhere else and the others disabled?

I'm wondering if I screwed it up by not going into the cave before continuing the main quest line.  Thoughts?

Ah, nope. Not a conflict. I overlooked dealing with the NPCs inside the keep and making sure Hadvar and Ralof were taken care of if nobody went in after them.

LAL doesn't edit placement of anything inside the keep so I'd say HR isn't carrying USLEEP fixes in that case.

I'll fix up the stragglers on the next update, though dealing with the keep NPCs won't be retroactive.

So, if I had gone in when I first approached everything would be fine.  But since I did not it is not.  

Would Hadvar and Ralof leave if the civil war quests were started up?

Can the other NPCs be safely disabled in the console?

It hasn't caused any damage, so you're fine. When the civil war starts up then they should get handled as expected at that point. The NPCs in Helgen can be safely disabled or killed via the console. Killed would probably be better so that the corpses will get culled when the cell resets.

The NPCs in Helgen can be safely disabled or killed via the console. Killed would probably be better so that the corpses will get culled when the cell resets.

Are you saying that if anyone wants to kill the NPC's in Helgen should use the target "kill" command in the console?

Only if something like what Ishara mentions has gone wrong. Otherwise they'll be dead already and you won't have to worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I added an issue to the tracdown for this, but I must have missed something because it's saying it's for version 2.2 instead of 3.1.4. Well I always screw things up the first time I do anything. Anyway, it's another minor issue that's masked by Open Cities. The Whiterun guard gets stuck on the steps after he approaches you to give his challenge. He'll stay there for the rest of the game instead of returning to his post by the gate. He works fine if Open Cities is installed, and also on a pure vanilla start without ASLAL.

LOL, and now we see firsthand the consequence of not making sure USLEEP fixes get syncd up even when you don't think you needed to :P

In a strictly vanilla game with no patch, he's not linked to the marker on the wall so he'd get stuck like that. At some point we fixed it in USLEEP. OCS carried the fix over, but LAL should have caused that to fail anyway if your load order was right since the fix did not get carried through to LAL. It will be for the next update though. Once I check to make sure nothing else has been blocked :P

• 4 weeks later...

Version 3.1.5

Leftover NPCs in Helgen Keep were not disposed of properly if you had skipped going into the keep or the cave after seeing Alduin fly away and the LAL quest had stopped. This fix will not run retroactively.
Hadvar and Ralof should no longer be standing around in the cave if you never rescued one of them. One or both will be disabled if Jagged Crown has not yet progressed to being directed to Korvanjund when you complete the LAL quest.
The guard at the Whiterun gate was not returning to his post after confronting you due to a USLEEP fix which had not been forwarded. (Bug #21058)
Dawnguard gargoyles placed in vampire lairs should no longer attack you if you choose a vampire start and end up in a dungeon that has some. (Bug #21133)

Version 3.1.5a

Oops! Accidentally broke the vanilla start due to a missing safeguard in the script for another quest.

• 3 months later...

heh, yep. She's one of the ones in the game that whines about trespassing when you're not really trespassing. We've never figured it out :P

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will cause an issue or not.  I noticed in xEdit that on Dialog Topic 0002707A that USLEEP 3.07 increases the Topic Info Count (TIFC) to 291 while Alternate Start 3.1.5a still has a value of 280 which is the same as Skyrim.esm and Hearthfires.esm.  Just wondering if this lower TIFC value might block off USLEEP added topic info entries.

As far as I've ever been able to tell it either doesn't matter what the number is or the game keeps track of the largest one. None of the USLEEP topics are being blocked.

Might be because Alternate Start only edits existing topic infos rather than adding new ones that it doesn't make a difference.

There is another mod (Vilja in Skyrim) that I ran across whose author stated that before using any of the patches with ESP files that the mod had to be started in game and dialog taking to a certain point before activating them because they were built on an older version.  When I looked at the plugins in xEdit, the only noticeable differences were the TIFC values. Tested the plugins in original state and noted the dialog options. Modified them to have accurate TIFC values for all unique entries.  When tested, the modified setup contained additional dialog options that had not been present with the previous test.

So I don't know if it goes with the highest value or not for the TIFC (It may if all of the USLEEP topics are still present with LAL).  What I have noticed, is if the TIFC value is less than the actual number of entries, some topics will be culled.  Obviously, one case is not enough data to determine anything of real significance.

Anyway, it was after all that that I noticed the one in LAL.