[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

Version 2.4.1

Added an ini snippet to prevent the character's hands from returning to the bound state when switching races during chargen.
ARTH_TIF_LALNewStart_020370F7 was attempting to set an invalid quest objective. (Bug #16522)
The old prison start cell has been removed. If you find yourself suddenly transported to the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood, trust me, I'll know what happened :P
Synchronized fixes from USKP 2.0.5.

• 3 weeks later...

So over the course of time, several people (some recently, some longer ago) have wanted easy ways to tack on additional start scenarios beyond the ones supplied by LAL itself. There are at least 4 projects out there now wanting to do this, and with the current structure of the mod they're all going to run into huge problems with that if more than one of those "add-ons" is installed at the same time.

LAL was one of the first mods I made for Skyrim, and it's showing its age. So something needs to be done about this to semi-modernize it and allow for other folks to make add-ons for the mod.

Right now I'm in the process of splitting the monolithic "Live Another Life" quest into 2 parts. One part which will run the basics of chargen, the other which will process the journal entries and handle moving the player to the new area. This second quest will also run all the journal entries and objectives from the main one.

The bed script will be modified to allow a means for someone to supply a Quest and Stage number to call on rather than the current method of being forced to add new stuff to my stage 30. This way add-on mods can simply put their dialogue response topics into my main one, attached their own script, and set it to assign their own quest + stage. Then, in the quest inside their own mod, the player can be given whatever stuff the author wants to rather than being confined to the choices I've made for the defaults.

The tie in to the main quest will remain - that's something I consider fundamental enough to not cut loose. It's an alternate start mod, not an alternate entire game mod. You'll still be the Dragonborn, you'll still need to go visit Helgen, you'll still have to go through all the other usual stuff. The only additional thing that will come of this is to allow folks to cook up their own start options to tie into things with.

Hopefully it won't be all that long before I can complete the split and get it tested to be sure I haven't broken anything. Apologies to anyone who might already be deep into working on their stuff they've asked me about. This will be much much easier, I promise :P

Version 2.5.0

Overhauled the startup quest to allow for "plugging in" additional start options without the need to directly edit the quest scripts that run the mod.
Fixed a long standing bug with the random "Surprise Me" option. It should now be a lot more random than before.
Intro scenes in Sleeping Giant Inn, Windpeak Inn, and The Frozen Hearth will now play properly when these inn starts are chosen.
The friendly faction trigger in Mara's Eye Pond was not large enough, making it possible for the player to step outside of it and cause the vampires there to turn hostile when they shouldn't.
It was possible for the guild randomizer to pick the Dawnguard start even if the DLC was not active.
Starting as a soldier for the Imperials or Stormcloaks was not marking Unbound as completed.
If the player went directly to Whiterun after seeing Alduin fly over, it was possible for Balgruuf and Irileth to be elsewhere in Dragonsreach when the scene about Helgen starts.

Version 2.5.1

Forgot to include an alias for the Whiterun city gate into the restructured quest.

Version 2.5.1a
The CK ate a property on the upgrade script for 2.5.1, causing the "no upgrades" message to appear when it shouldn't.

(Really starting to get annoyed at the CK's tendency to do this)

• 4 weeks later...

Version 2.5.2

First person mode will now be forced when using the vanilla start to avoid critical bugs that happen if that start gets chosen while still in 3rd person.
Added a new mesh to support the Hearthfire add-on for the farmhouse start.
Added a new ESP that provided support for moving a spouse and up to 6 children into the home if Hearthfire and Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions are installed.
The trigger used for setting the quest stage when using the cell escape start should have been disabled if any other start was chosen. Otherwise it will cause the player to be transported back to their chosen start location if it's encountered later.
The chargen quest will now be self contained and will show up in the journal as "A Second Chance". A new stage has been added that will close out the journal with a more appropriate log.
The trigger in Dragonsreach that sets up the scene with Balgruuf about Helgen was moving him without first checking if he was already in the room, which could result in him floating in a seated position away from the throne.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

First off, I love this mod. Used it for two or so years now with countless different characters. I still have a female Dragonborn Nord who owns Karnsdale farm, so that gives you an idea. I registered just now because I need a question answered as this is the first problem I've EVER encountered with using this great mod.

I recently made a Redguard Alikir bounty hunter. My idea for the character is she is sent to find out what is taking the Alikir so long to locate Saadia and finish the job, one way or another. Trouble is, I cannot find them anywhere.

Swindlers Den is empty.

They're not in Roriksted.

They're not in Whiterun.

My question is thus;Have you changed something in this quest if you pick the Alikir start or am I just being unlucky locating them?

Many thanks in advance.

Don't they appear after a certain point in the main quest?

I've encountered them before many times on other characters, without activating the main quest.

They don't show up until you're coming back to Whiterun from finishing Dragon Rising. So yeah, you do need to pursue the quest at least that far to get them to show.

Ooo I was right after all :D

On the subject of LAL, I'd like to make a report of sorts. It's not a bug or a feature suggestion, but more of a small tweak.

I use ECE to make my characters, if that makes a difference I'm not sure but I find that when I zoom out using the zoom function it smooshes the camera into a wooden piller and I can't see my character anymore. Could the direction the player starts at be rotated slightly?

They don't show up until you're coming back to Whiterun from finishing Dragon Rising. So yeah, you do need to pursue the quest at least that far to get them to show.

Well that's impossible because I have only one character that follows the Dragonborn quest and I have encountered the Alikir on all my characters, except the one I made yesterday without doing any of the main quest.

I just encountered the Alikir yesterday questioning a Redguard woman northwest of Solitude on a brand new game using LAL (with the Solitude start). And I haven't even left the Solitude/Dragonbridge area yet, so I know I haven't done any of the main quest.

I just encountered the Alikir yesterday questioning a Redguard woman northwest of Solitude on a brand new game using LAL (with the Solitude start). And I haven't even left the Solitude/Dragonbridge area yet, so I know I haven't done any of the main quest.

Yeah I know it is possible, all of my characters have encountered them in one way or another and as mentioned, only one of them is Dragonborn and has initiated and completed Dragons Rising. I just guess I'm having bad luck. After reaching level 10 with no luck finding them, I used setstage to initiate the quest.

This has got me thinking though, would be good if you changed the Alikir start to be on the first stage of the quest. Or re-write the quest to suit it as there are some dialogues that make no sense. For example, Saadia talking to you like you're not even Redguard. It's a pretty big ask but would make for a great Redguard/Alikir alternate start.

Thanks for everyones help/input.

There's a difference between the random encounters and the one that officially kicks off the quest. The two you run into in Whiterun are the ones that actually kick off the quest.

Thanks for clarifying that, Arthmoor - I didn't realize that. I've always ever seen them in the Whiterun area, but I've never used LAL before. Now I understand. : )

• 5 weeks later...

Version 2.5.3

The journal entries for the Shady Sam quest obtained in Dragon Bridge or Kynsegrove were giving incorrect text due to the wrong alias being referenced. (Bug #17361)
Two posts in the Abandoned Prison did not meet the ceiling and have been raised. (Bug #17343)

• 1 month later...

Version 2.5.4

Added a small stable for the player's horse at Shoal's Rest Farm if they own one. The horse should stable itself when fast traveling to the farm unless you're riding it.
The vanilla start option will be blocked if Morskom Estate is installed due to problems with their intro video on the cart ride. (Bug #18132)
A failsafe trigger has been added to the prison cell to return the player there if another mod somehow pulls you out before you're able to complete a proper startup. (Bug #18133)
Matlara, Ingrid, and Vilod will now be explicitly disabled by LAL during the Helgen cleanup process because they can sometimes be found in the ruins and should not be there. (Bug #17118)

• 4 weeks later...

Version 2.5.5

Missed a variable check on the bed script for Helgen mods. (Bug #18239)

• 2 months later...

Version 3.0.0

NOTE: All Skyrim DLCs are now REQUIRED! Please make sure you meet these requirements before downloading this update!

Irileth's dialogue to tell her Alvor or Gerdur had sent you wasn't available on the vanilla start option. (Bug #18363)
Maramal and Talen-Jei will no longer be standing in the center of the Bee & Barb waiting for dragons to be enabled before their scene starts.
Inn Patron starts now include Markarth, Riften, Solitude, Whiterun, and Windhelm.
The Helgen lockouts have been removed for Helgen Reborn and Morskom Estate. Apparently at some point updates to those mods, or to LAL itself, have rendered them unnecessary. (Bug #18591)
Property owner starts never sent notification to the Hearthfire adoption system that the player owned a house. So if a new vanilla house had not been purchased yet in a second city, the game would not know there was already one available for adoption purposes. (Bug #18681)
As of version 3.0.0, this mod now requires all 3 official DLCs to run.
Mod specific checks will only log Papyrus data until after leaving the prison cell. These checks are only needed for starting the game so don't need to be looked at for every load.
Property start options were added for Hearthfire. You can now choose on of the 3 houses to start in.
Three new Left For Dead start positions have been placed on Solstheim. These won't be easy. It's Solstheim after all!
Raven Rock was added to the list of destinations to arrive by ship. Choosing this will treat you to the boat ride animation you'd see coming from Windhelm.
It is now possible to join Harkon's Court as a vampire lord.
Old Hroldan Inn has been added to the inn start list.
The Redguard start location has been moved north into the hills near Soljund's Sinkhole to avoid future compatibility issues with Shezrie's Old Hroldan Town mod.

Just noticed a few things wrong with the Vigilant of Stendarr start

2 Barrels are still showing as stealing if taken

C77D2

C7827

and You are allowed to sleep in the wrong bed,

when you start you cannot sleep in the bed you spawn by but you CAN sleep in Keeper Carcettes bed? I know shes a kinky keeper but i have my standards!!!

Please make the start options in LAL dependable of which DLL you use sort of a mod compatibility you mention in this post. :)

Version 2.5.5

Version 3.0.0

I don't use Dawnguard, because I don't like it and I never like the MQ in Bloodmoon either after my first playthrough.  This means I'll only use LAL 2.5.5 and not LAL 3.0.0 due to the requirement of all DLC.