[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

If you've already started the main quest, this shouldn't be an issue. That means you've been to Helgen and as a result of that Tullius and Ulfric should both be back where they belong.

Exactly when are both Tullius and Ulfric back to respective position where they should be?  I mean is it before the final journal update in LAL or do they go back their position once the player have spotted Alduin, which will update the quest and direct you to new objectives like to investigate the cave for victims of the recent dragon attack at Helgen.

Ah I see and just what I thought.  I figured that when the player notice Alduin flying in the sky then the Unbound quest will get triggered.  Correct?

So you mean when I got out from the collapsing cave with either Hadvar or Ralof then the Unbound quest will be marked as completed and the next quest in the MQ (Before the Storm is the next quest I think) will be triggered via dialogue.

No, I mean it'll be marked as complete when Alduin makes his flyby. Everything else about Unbound has already been done. Unless you're talking about going through the vanilla start using LAL.

• 1 month later...

Version 2.3.3

The north and east gates to Helgen should be unlockable after MQ101 is done but the two stages that handle this were not being called.
The clutter at the campsite start was not supposed to get disabled for existing saves that started from this position. (Bug #13370)
Something broke the campsite start, preventing Alduin's flyover from running. This in turn would cause Ralof and Hadvar to fail to progress once one of them was taken out of the Helgen cave.
For users of Frostfall, two Snowberry Extract potions will now be available in one of the containers aboard the ship for the shipwreck start.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.3.3a

The workaround fix for the campsite start that handles stage 40 of the startup quest needed to be replicated in the general stage 45 handler for approaching Helgen in the other starts.
Minor synchronization fixes ported over to match up with USKP 2.0.

Version 2.3.3

The north and east gates to Helgen should be unlockable after MQ101 is done but the two stages that handle this were not being called.

The clutter at the campsite start was not supposed to get disabled for existing saves that started from this position. (Bug #13370)

Something broke the campsite start, preventing Alduin's flyover from running. This in turn would cause Ralof and Hadvar to fail to progress once one of them was taken out of the Helgen cave.

For users of Frostfall, two Snowberry Extract potions will now be available in one of the containers aboard the ship for the shipwreck start.

What changed your mind about having 2-3 Snowberry Extract potions as loot in the shipwreck start location?

Just curious about why you acknowledge my suggestion about having some Snowberry Extract potions when using Frostfall.

Version 2.3.3a

The workaround fix for the campsite start that handles stage 40 of the startup quest needed to be replicated in the general stage 45 handler for approaching Helgen in the other starts.

Minor synchronization fixes ported over to match up with USKP 2.0.

Thanks for the update mate. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.3.3b

Found the root cause of the Alduin flyover failure - a line of code had been accidentally deleted from the modified MQ102 quest fragments. Doh!

• 4 weeks later...

Version 2.3.4

Vampire starts were not receiving the full status update upon being transformed the first time.
The farmhouse location has been fixed up so that it will be available for radiant quests such as the Companions Animal Extermination quest.
The farmhouse was incorrectly assigned to Haafingar Hold when it's really in Hjaalmarch.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying for days to get this mod to work, and it just isn't happening. When I go to launch a new game it just hangs on the loading screen - the one with the black background, the mist, and the skyrim symbol. I've deleted all of the files in the data/scripts folder that are mentioned in the readme, I'm running version 1.9.32.0.8, and it isn't working even if it's the only mod I have active.

Know of any solutions to this? I'd love to use this mod, but...

If it's the only mod you have active, it will work. That much is certain.

If you're getting a situation where it won't, you HAVE to have something else conflicting with it. The unofficial patches are safe, since I test with those active in both minimal installs and with my ~95 mod load order that includes quite a few different things.

You'll need to check those mods you're using more closely. It could be a script, but it could also be a conflict that only exists in the esp files.

And if you're using Mod Organizer, then I'd suggest finding a new mod manager ASAP as it's known to cause this kind of thing even when everything is set up correctly.

If it's the only mod you have active, it will work. That much is certain.

If you're getting a situation where it won't, you HAVE to have something else conflicting with it. The unofficial patches are safe, since I test with those active in both minimal installs and with my ~95 mod load order that includes quite a few different things.

You'll need to check those mods you're using more closely. It could be a script, but it could also be a conflict that only exists in the esp files.

And if you're using Mod Organizer, then I'd suggest finding a new mod manager ASAP as it's known to cause this kind of thing even when everything is set up correctly.

It is quite literally the ONLY mod I am loading, everything else is vanilla, aside from from scripts, but I've gone through and removed anything that I could see that was related to the quests this mod seems to change(101, and 102). I'm not using any mod organizer, either. I guess maybe it's time for a clean install, I just had hoped I wouldn't have to do that. Thanks for the reply!

I guess maybe it's time for a clean install

If you do that then make sure you install Skyrim outside of the C:\Program Files(x86) folder and installing Skyrim in that folder could sometimes give you problems due to UAC (User Account Control) in Vista, Windows7.

• 2 weeks later...

I always read the journal after getting it.  For some odd reason I neglected to do that this last testing play through for another mod.  I sold it before reading it.  Which isn't a problem for me, since I'm always starting new games whenever I test something new.  I just didn't know it was possible to do that.  I have the latest version installed.  I checked that before going in game and double checking that I could indeed sell the book while it was still  required for the quest.

The reading of the journal is not strictly required to complete the quest. You can in fact skip it entirely and go directly to the cave, or skip even that entirely (once you've seen Alduin) and go directly to Riverwood or the Jarl in Whiterun. So the book isn't a protected quest item, you can sell it, and also put it on a book shelf. It, and the corpse it's on, will remain in place in Helgen after the quest is complete too if you should decide you want to go back for it after ignoring it.

• 1 month later...

The reading of the journal is not strictly required to complete the quest. You can in fact skip it entirely and go directly to the cave, or skip even that entirely (once you've seen Alduin) and go directly to Riverwood or the Jarl in Whiterun. So the book isn't a protected quest item, you can sell it, and also put it on a book shelf. It, and the corpse it's on, will remain in place in Helgen after the quest is complete too if you should decide you want to go back for it after ignoring it.

I started a new game by camping in the woods and just after a few things have been loaded I got an update about the Unbound quest now was marked as completed, but that happen without spotting Alduin flying in sky.

Just after that I got another update with a quest marker pointed my to the Helgen Keep cave and I've going in and out into the cave, but still I haven't found the corpse despite for located both Hadvar and Ralof inside the cave as intended.

So what's wrong or should I say what's not working, because after I locate both of them I didn't get an update. :shrug:

Anyway here is my loadorder and all mods are clean.

Active Mod Files:

* 00  Skyrim.esm

* 01  Update.esm

* 02  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1a]

* 03  HearthFires.esm

* 04  Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1]

* 05  Dragonborn.esm

* 06  Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1]

* 07  Falskaar.esm

* 08  ApachiiHair.esm

* 09  AP Skyrim.esm

* 0A  TravellersOfSkyrim.esm

* 0B  HighResTexturePack01.esp

* 0C  HighResTexturePack02.esp

* 0D  HighResTexturePack03.esp

* 0E  scRacksExtended.esp

* 0F  Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.5]

* 10  FIG.esp

* 11  Better Dynamic Snow.esp

* 12  randomthunder.esp

* 13  Cutting Room Floor.esp  [Version 1.0.2]

* 14  TradeBarter.esp

* 15  Ars Metallica.esp  [Version 1.2.1]

* 16  Ars Metallica - Hearthfire.esp  [Version 1.2.1]

* 17  Ars Metallica - Dragonborn.esp  [Version 1.2.1]

* 18  Barrels and Crates.esp

* 19  Better Skill and Quest Books Names - BS.esp

* 1A  Bring Out Your Dead.esp  [Version 1.2.3]

* 1B  Disease Descriptions.esp

* 1C  DD_Dragonborn Additions.esp

* 1D  moredragonloot.esp

* 1E  Point The Way.esp  [Version 1.0.2]

* 1F  TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp

* 20  TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp

* 21  SkyTweak.esp

* 22  SkyUI.esp

* 23  BlitzConsoleCommandsMCM.esp

* 24  Grimy Utilities Interface.esp

* 25  EK_RingLimiter.esp

* 26  Gildergreen Regrown.esp  [Version 1.2.5]

* 27  Hunting in Skyrim.esp

* 28  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 1.2.4]

* 29  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.7]

* 2A  Better_enchanting_tables.esp

* 2B  BetterQuestObjectives.esp

* 2C  BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp

* 2D  BetterQuestObjectives-BSaQBPatch.esp

* 2E  BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp

* 2F  Slof's Unique Frost.esp

* 30  Storefront.esp  [Version 1.0.1]

* 31  Manor Roads.esp  [Version 1.0]

* 32  Provincial Courier Service.esp  [Version 1.2.1]

* 33  The Horkerpocalypse.esp

* 34  Unlock Spell Tomes.esp

* 35  Open Cities Skyrim.esp  [Version 1.0.2]

* 36  OCS + Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]

* 37  OCS + Dragonborn.esp  [Version 1.2]

* 38  Field Alchemy.esp  [Version 2.2.1]

* 39  SeeYouSleepByMadmole.esp

* 3A  Caele.esp

* 3B  AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp

* 3C  BetterQuestObjectives-AFTPatch.esp

* 3D  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 2.3.4]

* 3E  BetterQuestObjectives-AlternateStartPatch.esp

* 3F  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Version 2.3.5

Part of the clutter in Honeyside was not clearing if Hearthfire was installed.
There were some misaligned wall pieces in the starting prison cell.
The lights on the bridge approaching the College of Winterhold were never turned on for the College start.
Due to complications from the quest at Nilheim, the bandit start located here has been moved to Snowpoint Beacon in Winterhold. (Bug #14530)
Merged necessary fixes to match up with USKP 2.0.1. (Bug #14623)
A backup method for Ulfric and Tullius to get out of the prison cell after you reach Helgen has been added.

Version 2.3.5

Part of the clutter in Honeyside was not clearing if Hearthfire was installed.

There were some misaligned wall pieces in the starting prison cell.

The lights on the bridge approaching the College of Winterhold were never turned on for the College start.

Due to complications from the quest at Nilheim, the bandit start located here has been moved to Snowpoint Beacon in Winterhold. (Bug #14530)

Merged necessary fixes to match up with USKP 2.0.1. (Bug #14623)

A backup method for Ulfric and Tullius to get out of the prison cell after you reach Helgen has been added.

If I knew this update in advance I would probably wait to start a new game, but you know what they say it's better than never. :)

All way up there?  :blink:    That's a long move for a bandit starting location I mean Nilheim is east perhaps north east of Ivarstead I think.  Have you consider one or two more bandit starting locations?

Thanks for the update much appreciated. :D

I wanted to be sure where I was picking wasn't overly important. Nilheim has a site specific quest there. Snowpoint Beacon does not.

I wanted to be sure where I was picking wasn't overly important. Nilheim has a site specific quest there. Snowpoint Beacon does not.

I see.  Make sense to me.