[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

Actually the gate is enabled prior to starting the game. I don't know why it's even there since it gets disabled and never reenables later. Maybe it was a thing they had planned for a start location somewhere other than Helgen and that was a quick way to keep people out beforehand.

That obviously changed when the intro became what it is.

Meanwhile, digging around in TES5Edit because I can't let these things go, was the idea for Live Another Life to overwrite Dawnguard's changes to the vampire/vampire thrall factions?

Because not enough whack shit was happening in my Helgen:

- I'm moderately certain that while the far gate aboveground is still locked when you come back through, it doesn't need a key I don't have.  Also, I'm fairly certain there's not supposed to be an imperial soldier just chilling out over the gate.

- Similarly, while I can't recall if the new bandit tenants clear the collapsed hallways inside or not, I'm pretty sure when I go down the stairs in the keep I'm not supposed to get screen shake and Alduin flyover noises.

- Imperial torturers don't give a fuck about bandits or the fact they're supposed to be dead - they're staying put, thanks.

Because I'm an anal lizard, what version of this mod are you actually playing with?

Cause the collapsing thingy shouldn't be an issue once the bandits come. Nor should there still be that guard on top of the gate. The torturers are also supposed to be gone. So far as I can recall they get disabled without my having to do so.

Methinks perhaps your game has decided to strike out on its own.

2.2.  Which has been the case since this game got started a week ago or whatever it was.

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 HearthFires.esm
04 HighResTexturePack01.esp
05 HighResTexturePack02.esp
06 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.2.7]
07 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp [Version 1.1.4]
08 Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp [Version 1.0.3]
09 Economics of Skyrim.esp
0A Economics of Skyrim - Dawnguard.esp
0B Ars Metallica.esp [Version 1.1.4]
0C Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp [Version 1.1.4]
0D Ars Metallica - Hearthfire.esp [Version 1.1.4]
0E Bring Out Your Dead.esp [Version 1.1.4]
0F Where's My Horse Gone.esp
10 Footprints.esp
11 WetandCold.esp
12 SkyUI.esp
13 Gildergreen Regrown.esp [Version 1.2.3]
14 Run For Your Lives.esp [Version 1.2]
15 When Vampires Attack.esp [Version 1.0.1]
16 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp [Version 1.2.3]
17 Open Cities Skyrim.esp [Version 0.9.8]
18 OCS + Hearthfire Patch.esp [Version 1.0]
19 Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp [Version 2.2]
1A AFK_MapMarkers.esp
1B rt_AutoHarvest.esp
1C Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Strange, will check on them. Even made shiny bug entries for them on the tracker :P

Neat.  Missed the bit about the gates being locked with need a key to open, though.  That definitely isn't the case in vanilla.

Actually it is, I've run into that plenty of times in USKP testing in and around Helgen. The gate locks when the cells reset.

He who posts in semi-cryptic prose should expect his bug reports to be misinterpreted.... :P

I'll look into it. Or, you know, go try out the bug tracker. You might even find such a beast useful for your own stuff.

Ah, wasn't sure if I was supposed to be posting bugs for your stuff instead of you.

If my own stuff had any remaining bugs, I totally would use it. :P

• 1 month later...

Version 2.2.1

The trigger box in Helgen Keep that collapses the first tunnel section should not be active once bandits have taken over the keep, nor should it be playing dragon roar sounds at that point. (Bug #11878)
The torturer in the keep is never disabled in MQ101 stage 500 like he should be. (Bug #11877)
Dawnguard vampires should no longer act hostile toward their thralls. (Bug #12115)
Khajiit starts will now have an active caravan camp to relax in before departing on a life of adventure. (Bug #12222)

I just had an idea for a new starting alternative.

How about a defected Thalmor who is trying to conceal the identity from Thalmor agents and the player is just a defected Thalmor agent.  Where this former Thalmor agent has its starting location doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.2.2

Merged fixes from Official Patch 1.9.
Merged fixes needed from USKP 1.3.1.

• 1 month later...

Version 2.3

A new start option for Dunmer has been added. If Dragonborn is installed, this will start you off in Raven Rock instead of Windhelm.
A new start option to join the Dawnguard has been added, which begins immediately following the end of Awakening, back in Fort Dawnguard.
A new start option for Altmer has been added. You will begin at the Thalmor Embassy and be on friendly terms with them until you reach Helgen.
Unbound (MQ101) was never marked as completed when using a start that required visiting Helgen to initiate the main quest. This would block the startup of any mod checking for the completion flag on MQ101.
The Mara statue now has voiced lines, thanks to Nikkita.
Merged necessary fixes from USKP 1.3.2.

The Mara statue now has voiced lines, thanks to Nikkita.

I wonder why you haven't hired the V.A.P on TESA before.  Anyway, thanks for the update! :)

Voice acting is impressive ! Professionnal quality. Thanks and greetings to Nikkita !  :wink:

I'm about to run through Helgen Reborn again as a tester.  I'll be grabbing this before I start.  Thanks for the update.  You do great work Arthmoor.

This does seem to be working properly with Helgen Reborn now.  Unbound completed as I approached Helgen to find the corpse with the Journal.

Just came up with a really weird issue when testing with Falskaar and not having travelled to Helgen.  When I get to the same coordinates in Falskaar as would be in Skyrim, it triggers the completion of the Unbound quest.  Since I'm not in Skyrim, that shouldn't be triggering.

Oh. Yeah. That's a bit of a fluke I guess. I'll have to make sure the script is checking that you're in the right worldspace :P