[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

The readme has been changed, the section on starting the main quest was updated to reflect the new startup.

I wanted to take it further and have you able to go to Helgen just in time to see the execution go down, but it turns out that messing around with too much of what goes on in Helgen can break things in a huge way.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.1.4

Choosing the Helgen start will no longer strip the player's inventory which will preserve anything that other mods add at the beginning of the game.
The farmhouse now has an anvil, tanning rack, and grindstone for simple crafting operations.
The farmhouse also now has a stable across the road to put your horse if you own one.
Redid the script trigger that detects approach to Helgen since the trigger box method was not reliable.
A new start option has been added for Dunmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.1.6

Two scripts were left out of the distribution that are necessary to advance the startup quest.
An objective marker has been added for Darkwater Crossing. This will only take effect for a new game.
Fixed a possible loophole that could have contributed to General Tullius not being available for the cart ride to Helgen.

Version 2.1.5

Refined the Helgen approach script to detect any horse the player may be riding and keep them with the player when transported.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.1.7

Fixed the error which caused the Helgen cart ride to break yet again. This damn thing is far too sensitive.

• 2 months later...

Version 2.1.8

Disabled a dialogue branch where you could tell the Jarl in Whiterun that the Imperials were about to execute you if you did not use the Helgen start.

A topic where you could ask Viarmo about dragons has been delayed until the MQ starts.

A topic where you could ask Fihada for arrows to take down a dragon has been delayed until the MQ starts.

A greeting delivered by Heimvar in Solitude about dragons has been delayed until the MQ starts.

Dialogue for the Helgen rumors which rely on the innkeepers in Solitude and Windhelm will reference the innkeeper aliases for these towns in case the primaries happen to be dead.

An objective will now be displayed to inform you when your farmhouse profits are ready to collect if you chose that start.

If Savlian Shoal is killed, the farmhouse profits can no longer be collected.

Yeah. That's Skyrim for you though. Shit doesn't work until you've gone through 30 revisions :P

Version 2.1.8a

Fixed the issue causing the Mara statue to vanish when starting the game with certain mods.

Still don't know WHY it was an issue, but this was basically it:

;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 6Scriptname ARTH_QF_LALPatch218Quest_02046951 Extends Quest Hidden;BEGIN ALIAS PROPERTY CorpulusPatch;ALIAS PROPERTY TYPE ReferenceAliasReferenceAlias Property Alias_CorpulusPatch Auto;END ALIAS PROPERTY;BEGIN ALIAS PROPERTY EldaPatch;ALIAS PROPERTY TYPE ReferenceAliasReferenceAlias Property Alias_EldaPatch Auto;END ALIAS PROPERTY;BEGIN ALIAS PROPERTY SorexPatch;ALIAS PROPERTY TYPE ReferenceAliasReferenceAlias Property Alias_SorexPatch Auto;END ALIAS PROPERTY;BEGIN ALIAS PROPERTY NilsPatch;ALIAS PROPERTY TYPE ReferenceAliasReferenceAlias Property Alias_NilsPatch Auto;END ALIAS PROPERTY;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_2Function Fragment_2();BEGIN CODEif( NewStartQuest.GetStage() &--#60; 41 )	if( Alias_CorpulusPatch.GetActorReference().IsDead() )		Corpulus.ForceRefTo(Alias_SorexPatch.GetReference())	Else		Corpulus.ForceRefTo(Alias_CorpulusPatch.GetReference())	EndIf		if( Alias_EldaPatch.GetActorReference().IsDead() )		Elda.ForceRefTo(Alias_NilsPatch.GetReference())	Else		Elda.ForceRefTo(Alias_EldaPatch.GetReference())	EndIfendifStop();END CODEEndFunction;END FRAGMENT;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin commentARTH_LAL_StartQuest Property NewStartQuest AutoReferenceAlias Property Corpulus AutoReferenceAlias Property Elda Auto

No, I had to remove that code block entirely and switch to using a shared info record so I could set up individual dialogue conditions for them. Pain in the ass, but it works.

Do you lock the Helgen gates so they require a key? I started outside Helgen and decided to go through and clear the town of bandits much later when I was travelling to Falkreath, but I couldn't get in. When I did this previously, I was able to unlock the gates. I remember them being apprentice level locks.

• 4 weeks later...

Version 2.2

A new version tracking system has been created to better manage patch upgrades for the mod.
If the Vigilants start is being played, a check for Dawnguard being installed will now be made to transfer the inventory from your chest inside the Hall to a chest outside for when the Dawguard quest progresses to the point where the Hall has been destroyed.
The second collapsing hallway section added in Helgen Keep will now be disabled once Helgen is taken over by bandits.
There will no longer be a jarring forced teleport that takes place when the player approaches Helgen. Alduin will instead begin his flight as naturally as possible from just behind the city walls.
Adjusting for Alduin's new flight path, the burned corpse with the journal is now found inside the remains of Helgen.
The corpse journal and quest logs have been rewritten to better suit the new configuration, along with the camping start in the woods.
If you are able to reach South Skybound Watch before having been close enough to Helgen, Alduin will begin his flyover if you climb to the top of the ruined tower there.

That was a lot of new things there and I´m excited of how it looks in-game.  Keep up the good work Arthmoor! :banana:

So a thing that occured in my game just now.  Leaving aside that I got the "talk to Sam" journal update by talking to some guy in Riverwood, come to find out that if you try to do the "go explore the cave" option given to you after exploring Helgen, there's a very nice gate in your way that's apparently impossible to open.  I TCLed in and hooked up with Hadvar ok, but had to console out again because hey, no pull chains or anything in sight.

Odd. That's Bethesda's gate and it should have been disabled immediately at the start of the game. Before you even saw the inside of the prison cell. In a vanilla game, it's disabled during the credits fade before you see the cart.

So.... um.... I dunno what happened there.

You mean "talk to Alvar in Riverwood"? If so then you must have saved Haldar the imperial officer since Alvar is Haldar's uncle I think.

That gate is locked and a key is require to open the gate into Helgen from the north, but AFAIK you can't get up there before Alduin is coming from the south IIRC.

He's talking about a gate inside the cave, not at the city. A gate that should by all rights be disabled the moment the game starts. Which makes me wonder why Bethesda bothered putting it there at all.

Ah I see.  That was news to me since this is the first time I've heard of a gate in the exit cave of Helgen Keep.  Nonetheless it's weird.

Presumably they did it to keep people from roaming back through Helgen Keep once you get out of it.  And somewhere in the bowels of MQ101, something is getting done to it somewhere.  Where that somewhere is, half an hour of digging couldn't find it.