[RELz] Alternate Start - Live Another Life

Arthmoor

(Some day' date=' perhaps in my lifetime even, there won't be any more bugs!)
[/quote']

I'm not sure I can handle that kind of optimism.

:rofl:

It'll create a paradox... one of those things that can destroy the universe!

Somehow I don't think that's what the Mayans had in mind...
How did the Mayans manage to invade Live Another Life?

• 2 weeks later...

So. After having spent some time on a scratch rebuild of this, I've confirmed data loss in the original due to TESVSnip.

The file size on the original is 452KB according to Wrye Bash.

The file size on my rebuild is 472KB - which appears to be a 20KB loss, but take into consideration that while doing this I avoided recreating several dirty edits in interior and worldspace cells, so this 472KB is genuine data that should exist, and is quite possibly still missing something I overlooked. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Which means that the data loss here was fairly significant considering each dirty cell touched would have added 20KB or so just on its own.

Lesson learned: TESVSnip is dangerous and causes data loss.

It could be more than that if you had compressed records. You need to do some ini file or command line voodoo to get TESVSnip to recompress your records, so if the snipped version was showing a data loss of 20Kb, it might be worse than that if you didn't have compression turned on. I posted the instructions for turning compression on on DC, but it probably doesn't matter much anyway.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's lost a lot more than 20K of actual data. The rebuild has several dirty LAND records (GOD DAMMIT) that showed up which are not in the broken one. Those are hefty records even compressed, which is rather alarming because that means the broken copy of the mod is missing substantial amounts of data, despite having less actual records.

Oi. We were planning on having some editing functions in Gecko, but I'm not sure when we can enable that.Can you release it with the dirty edits?

I don't really have a choice since it's next to impossible to tell which land records are dirty right now. I can guess that they're probably all from the farmhouse area though.

Sure, I'll package it up and upload it here in a bit. I was getting tripped up over the USKP dialogue issue but have verified that the Jagged Crown scenes are working, although admittedly a bit less than the smooth experience I remember.

Ok, I'll keep checking back then. Looking like another insomnia night for me anyway, so I might as well do something interesting.

It's up. For obvious reasons, don't try to continue an old save with this, it will break. Badly :P

Game doesn't load when I try to start a new character. It just stays on the loading screen and hangs.Just for the heck of it, I did try on a save game. I got in game and ran around for about a minute before quitting out. It then crashed to desktop while exiting, but that can happen at just about any time.

Lemmie check the BSA. I bet I forgot to pull in one rather important file. Damn you CK!

I swear, if BAIN could package BSAs I'd just store all this shit loose in a project folder and pack the thing that way.

Re-upped. Go ahead and try now. If it still breaks, I curse the ground the CK walks on.

New start works now. Got into the farm house just fine. Talked to both farmer and wife and then went outside. The only part of the farm house that was there from the outside was the door.Checked from save game, no change was made in that farmhouse was there, so this doesn't affect a game that has already been started.

Uh. It should definitely have changed, because the farmhouse here now is an entirely new cell so you'd have lost anything stored inside the old one. It looks the same because I copied it from the same original cell and made all the same original changes, including the pain of reconstructing 3 shelves worth of bookshelf containers and 6 weapon rack activators.

I would hate to see the mess upgrading dirty would make of other elements of the mod that were in progress at the time, especially the quest itself.

The rest of everything appears to be working, right up through talking to the Jarl, so it's ready to roll I think. Though I'll probably delay it until 1.6 goes live since this has a couple of extra spots of navmesh editing that weren't there before. Plus I have one last bug to squash with the burned corpse.

Uh. It should definitely have changed because the farmhouse here now is an entirely new cell so you'd have lost anything stored inside the old one. It looks the same because I copied it from the same original cell and made all the same original changes, including the pain of reconstructing 3 shelves worth of bookshelf containers and 6 weapon rack activators.

I would hate to see the mess upgrading dirty would make of other elements of the mod that were in progress at the time, especially the quest itself.

The rest of everything appears to be working, right up through talking to the Jarl, so it's ready to roll I think. Though I'll probably delay it until 1.6 goes live since this has a couple of extra spots of navmesh editing that weren't there before. Plus I have one last bug to squash with the burned corpse.

Ok, so why did I see the exterior of the farm house in the continued save and not see anything but the door in the new game? I had not been to that cell at all in the continued save by the way.

That's the randomness of the disappearing statics bug. I doubt it would have mattered much which way you went about it. Problem is, I find it vanishes if I set the "is full LOD" box on it, which normally fixes the issue (and lets you see it from a distance) so I don't know which way to roll on that one.

It was there on all 3 of the test runs I did on it, but they were obviously all done with patch 1.6 enabled.

Ok. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, I've uploaded the final package. The filenames have changed, so be DAMN sure the old ones are removed before you try and use the new ones. I'm pretty sure this means I'll also have to dump the existing SW page for it, but frankly that's not going to be much of a loss other than for folks who put it in their collections.

This one has been packed using the external archive.exe tool because I got tired of trying to fish out all the shit I need for this on each update. I'd kill for BAIN to have some way to interface with it and auto-build the whole thing without my having to poke it.