[RELz] Open Cities Skyrim

Arthmoor

Open Cities Skyrim v0.5

Scrapped everything and rebuilt the entire mod due to corruption introduced in previous versions by TESVSnip.

All: Gatesmen have been added to each city who will open the gate for you if you approach on horseback.
All: Remnant Oblivion gates are now present in each city as leftovers from the Oblivion Crisis.
Riften: Replacer meshes for the walls which will display the moss on the inside portions that wasn't present before.
Whiterun: Updated the main gatehouse mesh so that the exterior side has all of the parts it needs.
Whiterun: Shuffling of AI packs and NPC positioning has been done to smooth out some problems with the Companions quests.
Markarth: Improvements have been made to the meshes on the inside of the city walls.
New Material: Solitude is now an open city.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• AndalayBay

• Thomas Kaira

• Leonardo

And now, there's no more delaying it... Windhelm has come. :tongue: Hope things turn out better this time.

Congrats. I'll give both this and econmics of skyrim a test as soon as i finish this latest round of testing, so maybe wednesday

By the way, Arthmoor, you might want to get started on a "No Oblivion Gates" version, as it seems to be a pretty popular request at this point. I am among them, actually, on the grounds that the Gates were all destroyed when the Oblivion Crisis ended and I find it very doubtful the Nords rebuilt them as war monuments (they remember their heroes, not the battles, that is the Nord way).

As I said just now in the official thread, that's not happening. Ya'll knew they were coming and said nothing prior to this and I'm not really in the mood to deal with it after the fact. The gates were destroyed - they didn't vanish into the ether. The only reason they all destroyed themselves in the exact same manner was due to limitations in the game mechanics back in 2006. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that they couldn't simply have been deactivated in place.

Understood, but if I may ask, you would not object to someone creating a "remove the gates" plugin on their own initiative and releasing it, would you?

I don't plan on installing Open Cities until you can get a clear verdict on the possibility of opening Windhelm, but when I eventually do install it, I'm likely going to be making a plugin on my own to get rid of the gates, because I am one of the people who do not want them to be present.

What I don't get here is this. It was extensively talked about in the gates thread for Hana's resource. People knew precisely how I intended to use them. Everyone more or less said "yes, do it, they'll be awesome" and I specifically recall at least one or two of you guys chiming in with the same. Not once was it ever mentioned that it was a case of "oh yeah, optional dude, they break lore". So I have no reason to give a rat's ass now about the VERY sudden turn of events from some of the very same people who thought the idea was cool.

Even the Nexus people knew this was coming, yet now suddenly they're turning against this too. It's precisely this kind of crap I'm getting sick of with Nexus users in general. They love your idea right up until you implement it and then it sucks donkey balls. Well screw that. If that makes me stubborn, so be it. I have half a mind to walk away from the Nexus entirely already and this IS NOT HELPING.

I saw you talking about the gates resources here with Hana. I didn't realize you were going to add them to OCS. I thought you were doing something separate. Also, why inside the cities? The only time Beth had gates open in the cities was for the Imperial City.I don't recall ever seeing a post by you that said "hey guys I'm thinking of adding these to the cities. Opinions?". If I had seen such a post, I would have said No thanks.

It's your right to make the call that the gates are staying, Arthmoor. I'm not going to argue that, nor am I trying. I also never voiced my opinion on the Gates being in the cities, though if I was directly asked, I would also have said "no." But you have made the decision, I respect that, and will not attempt to change your mind.

AndalayBay: The only reason no gates made it inside the cities is because Bethesda knew the AI was stupid and a gate opening in the town square of Chorrol would have ended with half the population being killed off due to "Civilian Hero Syndrome."

And there's every reason to believe that half the population WAS killed off from a lore perspective, and every reason to believe these gates were inside the cities based on descriptions of what happened in other provinces. People are trying to make a serious lore based argument using Oblivion's game mechanics as their basis. That's not going to fly. No more than those who don't accept Oblivion's version of Cyrodiil as a forested landscape instead of the thick jungle described in all past source material.

I made it pretty clear on several occasions that I planned to put these in the cities. If people don't like that they're free to not use the mod, but I'll wager that eventually people will realize that there's absolutely nothing wrong with having done this and they'll accept it for what it is.

People also say it would be cool to have these all over the map, but they've now demonstrated that doing so in practice would be a waste of time, so I won't be bothering. I may not even bother with using them in my villages now either. This whole thing is having nothing but a negative impact on my desire to mod much of anything at all to be quite honest, or at the very least, to stop releasing the results for others to tear down for no good reason.

I'm beginning to get a very clear understanding of why people like Slof left. This is utterly stupid and ridiculous.

I've reported the post on Beth by that asshole Bonehedge.

Thomas - yeah, you're probably right. It did make me wonder which would be the best way to invade a city like that. Right from the inside I guess.

Yeah, Bonehedge was an utter dick posting that. I called him on it, and that made him come out in the open as a troll, so I've also reported him.

EDIT: Mod just came in and cleaned up the thread. Bonehead Bonehedge likely received a Warning, as well.

This won't end well if assholes like him keep this up.

Well, I'll just keep my personal opinion about the whole Oblivion Gate thing (and any in-game edits concerning them) to myself now, I'm not trying to make you mad. Keep you grumpy? Maybe, but not piss you off.

EDIT AGAIN: Now Bonehedge is offering to send links to his upload via PM. This guy really needs a lesson in modding politics (won't be me, though, I had one post involving him removed already and I have no intention of pissing off the moderators and getting a Warning). Is that reportable, as well?

You made a good point about it being a creative decision Arthmoor.

I'm going to play with it for a bit and see if they grow on me. It was just a shock at first.

I'll say one thing. If you ever want to get an idea on how many play your mod, stick something in there that folks might complain about or appears to be lore breaking. :lmao:

I reported the post already as I don't see offering stolen content via PM requests as any different from openly posting a link to it.

I don't know if it will help, but I reported him too. I reported another guy for trolling as well.

Well, Arthmoor, I think the time has come for you to close the comments on Nexus. All people seem interested in doing is berating you over the Oblivion Gates right now, so perhaps now is the time to close the floodgates?

Those gates sparked one hell of a controversy, I can tell that much. :crazy:

Just did. Assuming the code actually closed the comments, because it doesn't look like it did from my end.

I seriously don't get this. I mean hell, people hated the flags in OCR almost as much but I NEVER got this much shit over it, especially after I told people it was a design decision I was sticking with. I tell them I'm keeping the gates and that makes ME the bad guy who should tolerate every abusive asshat that cares to distort the concept of free speech? Including two trolls I reported already?

Something very very bad has happened to what used to be a decent community at the Nexus, and it seems to have happened VERY suddenly too. I know I'm not the only one dealing with this either because I've been in a few PM conversations with others who got maligned in the same fashion and just quietly packed up and left rather than trying to do something about it. The users are endangering the fabric of the site and it doesn't look like they even care.

Is it all the same people though. Figure that insofar as Skyrim modding is like 10x or whatever as big as Oblivion was, means you just get 10x as many haters. Who, as we know, are gonna hate. So fuck 'em.That said, your decision to include flags in OCC does make you one of history's greatest tyrants. Just to be consistent about that.:P

Thomas, I think it might be worthwhile at this point to put your gate patch up. The winds of piracy are blowing again and the product of their bumbling efforts is going to end up doing more damage to the community in the long run. Nexus, here, wherever, I'd much rather have something like that come from a trusted source I know won't be looking to quietly stab me in the back in 2-3 months when nobody is looking anymore.

I still don't understand WTF the problem is, people are just being assholes about this whole thing for no good reason, but I'm also not willing to stand by while these pricks do something that'll wreck peoples' games because they got tricked into using something these guys are concocting.

If the Nexus admins balk, I'll take care of it. They're hyper-aware of the issue right now.

Very well. I'll get it online ASAP.

EDIT: Nexus mirror. Comments and endorsements are disabled, I have made it clear that this is the only approved version of the plugin, redistribution is prohibited, and no support will be provided.

By the way, I'm getting a 404 error trying to upload the file here.

I saw that on Nexus and was about to report until I looked at the author and realized it had to be an approved one. rofl.gif

Oh, and by the way. After taking a look at the placement of the Gates, I think I'm going to be leaving them alone in my game, only so long as they don't clash too badly with the surroundings. The dark red one outside Jorrvaskr is the only one I think needs changing. It has been two centuries since they were opened, it really doesn't make much sense for only 90% of the gates to be weathered, since we can be fairly certain none have opened recently.And who knows? If Arthmoor won't do the inevitable "Remember Oblivion" mod after this fiasco, maybe I will. And if that happens, expect gates in exactly the same locations in the closed cities as in the open ones. A little tribute to all the bullshit you had to go through with these. :tongue: