[RELz] Open Cities Skyrim

Arthmoor

Sounds like the old LOD bug rearing its ugly head again. I though that died with Oblivion, but maybe not.

It's not specific to the mod either. It's just one of those things about Bethesda's garbage engine.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• AndalayBay

• Thomas Kaira

• Leonardo

I tried fast travelling to the stables instead and it still did it. I found I could walk through the flickering image of the old gate to your gate, then click on that and it would open to the city. More flickering statics inside. I went to the thieves guild entrance under the tomb and there was another flickering mesh (laying horizontally) under the coffin. I was able to walk through that and then the stairs appeared. If it's LOD, it really seems to be showing LOD where there shouldn't be any. I've never seen anything like this before. Very odd.

Here you go. This one shows how all doors and windows are replaced with a really weird texture. You'll also see that the ground is pretty weird too.

Another view showing the boardwalk and doors:

This is the view after pressing the button to move the crypt leading to the thieves guild:

And you can walk through that "mist" to discover the stairs and the hatch:

I've no idea what is causing this. I am running the high res DLC and SMIM. Here's my load order:

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  ApachiiHair.esm
05  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.2.6]
06  Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
07  Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
08  StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
09  Economics of Skyrim.esp
0A  Economics of Skyrim - Dawnguard.esp
0B  Ars Metallica.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
0C  Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
0D  Ars Metallica - Hearthfire.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
0E  Back off, Barbas!.esp
0F  Bag of Holding.esp
10  Commute.esp
11  Decorator Assistant - SKSE.esp  [Version 1.4]
12  Where's My Horse Gone.esp
13  Convenient Horses.esp
14  Gildergreen Regrown.esp  [Version 1.2.3]
15  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 1.1.3]
16  When Vampires Attack.esp  [Version 1.0]
17  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 1.2.3]
18  Lightweight Potions and Poisons.esp
19  lesssnowywinterhold.esp
1A  Uncle Sheo.esp
1B  Open Cities Skyrim.esp  [Version 0.9.6]
1C  Mighty Magick - Alteration.esp
1D  Mighty Magick - Alteration Extras.esp
1E  Mighty Magick - Conjuration.esp
1F  Mighty Magick - Conjuration Extras.esp
20  Mighty Magick - Destruction.esp
21  Mighty Magick - Dual Casting.esp
22  Mighty Magick - Fortify Magic School Enchantment and Alchemy Reversed.esp
23  Mighty Magick - Illusion.esp
24  Mighty Magick - Illusion Extras.esp
25  Mighty Magick - Restoration.esp
26  Mighty Magick - Restoration Extras.esp
27  Mighty Magick - Scaling.esp
28  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 2.1.8a]
29  WATER.esp
2A  Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Texture 2.esp
2B  warburg's 3d paper world map - dawnguard.esp
2C  MyTweaks.esp
2D  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I haven't been following anything Skyrim-related for months, but as Arthmoor mentioned, it clearly looks to me like the LOD/VWD objects are still visible when close up. In the second screenshot you can see bottom-right the proper boardwalk visible briefly before a low-res version overlaps and covers the rest of it. And where the doors belong, those will most likely be the walls from the low-res LOD building mesh which overlap the doorway and hide the door.

Whatever is meant to tell the game to disable the LOD meshes when close-up isn't triggering, and since in Oblivion this was hard-coded I would expect it to be so in Skyrim as well, and so it must be a bug like Arthmoor said - tell Bethesda!

But you're forgetting it's all Arthmoor's fault!

Why?

Because everyone else said so! And they can't be wrong!

:P

That's definitely the LOD bug rearing its ugly head. Funny how their "new" engine still has all the same problems as the old one :P

Nothing I can do with that.

Also whenever I get around to pushing 0.9.8, it will have a SkyUI menu to toggle the OBGates. Will be the only way I'm going to officially support that. It will also allow turning the gate attendants on and off, as well as the outdoor lighting system.

MCM is pretty slick. The only thing I don't care much for with SkyUI 3.0 are the colored icons. They feel out of place.

Open Cities Skyrim v0.9.8

General: Syncronized fixes from updates to the USKP.

General: Implemented a SkyUI MCM menu to provide a means to enable or disable the following: Oblivion Gates, City Gate Attendants, Outdoor Lighting System. Note that no other optional toggle system will be supported. SkyUI 3.1 or above is required for this to work, and SKSE is required for SkyUI. SKSE will not be a strict requirement for OCS though. Without SKSE, the MCM menu simply won't function.

General: Removed several navmeshes that the mod does not need to edit, which should help improve compatibility with mods that edit things near the cities.

Solitude: The decorations for the wedding scene during the Dark Brotherhood are never cleared once the quest is done. This fix will rely on the USKP to trigger it at the appropriate time.

Riften: Added another AI door for the children at the orphanage to prevent them from sometimes getting stuck outdoors in the closed worldspace.

Markarth: Fixed the trigger that modifies Dryston's ambush and brawl scene during Forsworn Conspiracy (MS01).

• 3 weeks later...

So, Riften south gate.  Couple of pretty huge gaps between the city street and the outside road right at the gate.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems that there may be some problems with being able to return to Windhelm from Raven Rock. Specifically, the load screen seems to be hanging regardless of whether one pays for the boat ride or uses the fast travel marker.

It also appears as though using the hi-res texture DLC isn't helping this either.

After trying a bunch of stuff, I ended up having to redirect the return travel marker so you arrive in Dawnstar instead of Windhelm. Yes, I know, that probably sucks, but it works. So I'm wondering. Would people hate that as a solution in the Dragonborn patch? Is this even an issue for anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Open Cities Skyrim v0.9.9

Solitude: The bridge scene during To Kill an Empire (DB09) would freeze the player's controls out and never re-enable them after Maro's monologue.
Solitude: Maro's monologue scene in To Kill an Empire (DB09) had him delivering it from behind the 3 guards due to the lack of a navmesh at the scene marker he's supposed to use.
Solitude: Vittoria's wedding scene during Bound Until Death (DB05) was not functioning correctly due to the lack of a navmesh on the balcony where she gives the speech.
Solitude: Some of the audience members for Vittoria's wedding were not in the correct worldspace due to the AI markers not having been moved properly.
Solitude: A smelter has been added in front of the Fletcher's shop. (Issue #12162)
Whiterun: During the battle to defend the city on the Imperial side, the city gate needs to be unlocked. The trigger governing the lock state during the battle did not take Imperial players into account. (Bug #11875)
Markarth: Margaret and Weylin were not always at the proper scene markers for Forsworn Conspiracy (MS01) due to one of the markers being held as a script property. (Bug #11905)
Riften: The landscape edits under the south gate somehow got lost, leaving an ugly gap below the road.

Solitude: A smelter has been added in front of the Fletcher's shop. (Issue #12162)

I've always wonder why there were no smelter in Solitude, so this update makes me happy.  Btw... What was the cause for this issue anyway?

Thanks for the update mate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Open Cities Skyrim v0.9.9a

Fixed improper initialization of the MCM menu.

• 2 months later...

Open Cities Skyrim v1.0

All: The gate attendants did not have persist locations set, so their AI schedules were not running properly.
Windhelm: Due to complications brought on by the civil war, the Battle of Windhelm will now take place in the closed city instead of in the open. (Bug #12164)
Whiterun: Due to continuing minor complications, the Battle of Whiterun will now take place in the closed city for both Stormcloaks and Imperials.
Solitude: Due to continuing complications in the civil war, the Battle of Solitude will now take place in the closed city instead of in the open.
Windhelm: Brunwulf Free-Winter's house occasionally disappeared upon entering the city. This has now been corrected by flagging the mesh as IsFullLOD which will force it to load regardless. (Bug #3)
Whiterun: Two of Irileth's guards she dispatches to Riverwood were using the wrong marker targets. (Bug #1)
Riften: The city gate mesh will not merge and become one with the northern gate tunnel. It can never be fully corrected though due to the way that spot is set up. (Bug #12794)

So at last you finally made the OCS 1.0 public.  Thanks for update and your hard work on this. :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question... What mod (never heard of it before, have been away from Skyrim mods too long I suppose) is this patch for?

Compatibility Patches

CL Cities - Whiterun

• 1 month later...

Open Cities Skyrim v1.0.1

Whiterun: The city gate now has a properly combined gatehouse mesh with real collision instead of crappy collision planes and a bad landscape hack.
Riften: The Argonian north gate attendant now has a voiced dialogue line.
Markarth: The large dam that makes up the southern portion of the east wall now has real collision and the duplicated mesh parts have been trimmed, along with the fake collision planes removed.