[RELz] AFK_Weye

Dwip

I'm with you on that Dwip. As I said, in hindsight this particular angle of the cleaning process should have been left out. It won't hurt anything if people clean them out though.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Arthmoor

• Conner

• Hana

Top Posters In This Topic

BOSS has really gone down the tubes with it's dirty mod reporting now, it seems. From what I'm seeing, things are getting way out of control.Take a look at the latest post in the BGS list thread to see what I mean.

That seems...excessive.Also, at least I'm apparently going to have to fight this particular fight in various threads for the rest of time. Good thing Samson patrols the BOSS thread....why me, anyway? I mean, does nobody else in the world have this particular issue? Other people add worldspaces all the time.

Basically, people are going overboard with the dirty mod reports for outdated mods and the list data is getting skewed. That's why the dirty lists haven't been updated for awhile, because the data I'm getting back from the masterlist is becoming extremely unreliable. You saw it there, I'm having mods that are supposed to be clean being flagged as dirty and BOSS is making a huge mess out of things.I seriously think the Oblivion modding community is becoming over-reliant on BOSS to obtain information about their mods. I remember back when BOSS's only function was to just generate a workable load order for you. Now it's Big Brother, telling you to do this and do that and starting to confuse the hell out of everyone. I thought letting BOSS handle the dirty mods would be a good thing, but I'm starting to doubt that now, because all of this bullshit now surfacing.What I need right now is for BOSS to contain excludes for old versions of the mods that won't end up in the list. Still, I am very much opposed to the direction BOSS is taking now. I don't want it carefully scrutinizing everything I dump into my data folder, nor do I need it to. I just need it to recommend me a spot for my next plugin to go. That's all.Anyways, I've just red-flagged the dirty list on my own OP as containing unreliable data, much to my chagrin. Best to let the public know that something is afoot here, especially if it's a communication error with a very popular tool.

I saw the UL thing. Whoever did that is definitely way off base in reporting mods that we've already cleaned more than TWO YEARS AGO. Many of those ULs have had multiple updates since that time and those CRC values are about as useful as a paper cut.I have no issue with it if the old mod really hasn't been updated and is in fact loaded with dirty edits. There's bound to be plenty of crap up to 5 years old that hasn't been touched since then. It's stuff that's known to be actively maintained and known to be clean getting reports all of a sudden that just makes zero sense.So I'd say if someone tries to shove that sort of thing into the Wiki article, revert it as unhelpful information. So far it seems the wiki itself has remained relatively pure and free of trouble after the one attempt by Giskard's trolls to pollute the data.

Also, to get this back on the topic it belongs to: Dwip, no, you're not the only one this affects. Though I don't know the specific circumstances that will cause extra cells to be written, they can show up for any mod which adds a new worldspace. The reasoning behind wanting to drop them at the time was more or less in desperation to reclaim the memory those cells use when they exist. Obviously we've since found better ways to deal with Oblivion's memory issues but TES4Edit has long since fallen into sunset mode and isn't likely to see this reverted anytime soon.

So now that 2.3 is out the door, a query to the masses. For a while now, I've been pondering doing some sort of developer commentary for AFK_Weye, where I would talk about the story, how I designed various things, mod goals, funny testing stories, and what have you. Hopefully a cross between this article and what Valve does in their games. You guys have responded pretty well to my articles on the subject in the past, and to my knowledge nobody has ever really done anything of the sort for Oblivion before, so I figure it might be cool.So:1. Is this something people would like? It would be a pretty significant time investment on my part, but if there's some enthusiasm, well.2. The two probable formats for this:- Valve-style (watch that youtube video), with little clickable objects that trigger a couple minutes of me blathering about some topic while you're in the game. Works well in Valve's games on rails, may not work well for Oblivion. Probably harder for me to show you old dev screenshots and such, too, but may be easier to do recording for and may be more interesting to you the player to be in-game.- A video let's play style thing, which would undoubtably be a series of 10 minute long YouTube videos where you watched me play and blather about things. Assuming I can find some video capture software that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, this is probably the easiest method, but may be less entertaining for you guys. OTOH, easier for everyone.- Some kind of text essay with screenshots just isn't happening. Too boring, and I'd shoot myself if I ever tried to make it. My recorded voice sounds awful, but oh well.So, any interest, or should I just keep plugging away at the mausoleum? :P

You had me right up until you said no text-only version with screens was going to happen. I'm not a huge Youtube fanatic. Besides, I'd really like to see the Mausoleum :) As I'm sure people would really like to see Sutch.

Yeah, I'd be interested in an article with pics, but I can't see watching it on video. Like you said, an significant investment of your time without much payback.I'd prefer you continue on Mausoleum, then come back to this (if Skyrim deadline time permitting).

• 3 weeks later...

Oops. Looks like you've got two wild edits on a pair of vanilla NPCs. Quill-Weave and Sakeepa. The CS did some random crap with facegen and bounds radius data that doesn't need to have changed. Minor thing, but for whatever bizarre reason it also blocked a bashed patch build from properly importing inventory from TIE edits.

How the shit?Fixed now, anyway. I'll get around to uploading it later.Re: previous, I am writing that article, by the by, with pictures. It is, as I imagined, exceedingly slow going. But I have a lot to say.

So I'm digging through old emails trying to piece together a timeline of what happened in Weye when, and, well, raise your hand if you remember this email conversation from May of 2008:

On ye olde server' date=' you will find a patch for your Arrius Creek woes. Read the readme, and let me know if I missed anything when you try it :)[/quote']
Thanks for doing that.  However:...2. In any event' date=' I decided it was a silly thing to have a patch for, so I moved the Kerrach exterior stuff down a couple of cells, and obliterated the old stuff.  Seems to work ok with Arrius Creek loaded, and maybe even looks a little better.[/quote']Full circle what?Also, I sure wish I had more of those ancient Weye esps than I actually do.

• 4 weeks later...

Per discussion in my Nexus thread, A Wolf in the Fold is missing (at least) four endings (still).Check it:

METHOD 1 /* Kill em all, no Maeron */  - WolfPeltsSold != 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 1 /* killed Noam */  - GetStageDone 13 == 1 /* talked to Maeron */
METHOD 2 /* Kill 'em all, Marcus but no Maeron */  - WolfPeltsSold == 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 1  - GetStageDone 13 == 1
METHOD 3 /* Diplo, killed wolf and lied, Maeron */  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 1 /* talked to Maeron */  - Lied == 1  - WolfDeadCount > 0  - WolfPeltsSold != 1
METHOD 4 /* Diplo, killed wolf and lied, Maeron or Marcus */  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 1  - Lied == 1  - WolfDeadCount > 0  - WolfPeltsSold == 1
METHOD 5 /* Diplo, only Maeron */  - WolfDeadCount == 0  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 1
METHOD 6 /* Diplo, nobody */  - WolfDeadCount == 0  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 0
METHOD 7 /* Killed everyone, only Marcus */  - WolfPeltsSold == 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 1  - GetStageDone 13 == 0
METHOD 8 /* Kill 'em all, nobody */  - WolfPeltsSold != 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 1  - GetStageDone 13 == 0
####METHOD 9 /* Diplo, only Marcus */  - WolfPeltsSold == 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 0  - WolfDeadCount == 0
METHOD 10 /* Diplo, nobody, lied */  - WolfPeltsSold != 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 0  - Lied == 1  - WolfDeadCount > 0
METHOD 11 /* Diplo, only Marcus, lied */  - WolfPeltsSold == 1  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 0  - Lied == 1  - WolfDeadCount > 0
METHOD 12 /* Diplo, Maeron or Marcus, no lies */  - GetStageDone 40 == 0  - GetStageDone 13 == 1  - WolfPeltsSold == 1  - WolfDeadCount == 0
ADD WolfPeltsSold != 1 to Method 5

Corresponding to:(Solution (lied?), talked to who?)Kill everyone, nobody (Method 8)Kill everyone, Marcus no Maeron (Method Method 7)Kill everyone, Maeron no Marcus (Method 1)Kill everyone, both (Method 2)Diplo, nobody (Method 6)Diplo (lied), nobody (Method 10)Diplo, Marcus no Maeron (Method 9)Diplo (lied), Marcus no Maeron (Method 11)Diplo, Maeron no Marcus (Method 5)Diplo (lied), Maeron no Marcus (Method 3)Diplo, both (Method 12)Diplo (lied), both (Method 4)Also, should probably remove the infamy point from agreeing to self pelts to Marcus, and just make everyone unhappy with you except the Aratorius faction.Also, a reminder to myself about the conversation Samson and I were having about the possibility of certain Weye events being present as rumors in the IC.

That many different endings? I don't think I've actually seen more than 3 of those, which all worked btw. I just don't recall which ones they were off hand.

Yeah, so, turns out that if you have a lot of different ways to do things, things get complex really fast:2 optional people to talk to, which means an option for talking to either one of them, none of them, or both of them;3 major ways to go: killing everybody, the diplomatic route, or killing, lying and getting away with it, then going the diplomatic route.4 * 3 = 12 possible ways to completion.Let this be a lesson to you, kids. Think these things through before you do them. I've already had to rewrite the whole slate of endings once, and now I'll be doing part of it again.

• 4 weeks later...

And finally I get around to completing that first developer commentary post. 8,500 words or so, never mind the screenshots.

• 1 month later...

AFK_Weye 2.32 has been released. This is a bugfix release that fixes several quest-breaking bugs that somehow appeared in 2.3 or 2.31. Having crazy dialogue issues? This is your fix.- Multiple endings for A Wolf in the Fold were somehow still missing. These have been corrected.- During Goods For Thalonias, various merchants would talk about themselves when giving directions.- Many dialogue options in Goods For Thalonias, Family Ties, All That Glitters, and Weye Manor had somehow become corrupted, and that dialogue never showed. This has been fixed.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how important this might be, but if your initial meeting with Thalonias takes place in the IC, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for him to be welcoming you to Weye :)