Clothing Retex Request

Dwip

To bring this to the attention of Hanaisse, who is much betterer at these things than I am, a reasonable approximation of one of these outfits would be handy:Arvels.jpgThe yellow/black one is specific to House Hlaalu, the other might have slightly more universal appeal. The plan was to use one for my Morrowind dunmer guy.And yes, while I

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Conner

• Arthmoor

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, is that what they really look like? :stare:While I might be able to get there from here on the second one, not sure about the first as there's no clothing mesh similar to that, so might be a hack job. Maybe one of the cuirasses.... hmmm.

Oh man, it's been so long I'd forgotten what they look like. For 2002 though, they're not that bad. People can bag on Oblivion all they want, but it came so far ahead of Morrowind in terms of graphics in just 4 years it's amazing.

To be fair to Morrowind, the character models are by far and away the worst part about the graphics with a couple of exceptions. For 2002, it was pretty amazing. One of these days I really am going to sit down, pimp it out, and see how it holds up in 2010.Re: that first set, what about, say, the middle class 04 shirt, or the MC shopkeeper shirt? One of the lower class tunics might work, too. Pants, OTOH, shouldn't be too tough. No need to replicate that bootish look, really.

I don't know about "for 2002", but those character models are horrible, perhaps by more than just "today's standard" too. I think the old Fallout installments had way better character modeling than that, of course, graphics weren't really ever Fallout's weakness though. :shrug:

Trust me, for 2002, those were high quality models. I've seen some games from 2006 era that looked worse. The Gothic 1 and 2 games come to mind. Yes, on balance, the NPCs were the worst looking part of Morrowind but they're also the worst looking part of Oblivion too. Even the ones in Fallout 3 weren't the best, though definitely an improvement.I don't think it's fair to judge 8 year old graphics against today's standards. We've all become spoiled in that regard. I can still recall clearly how in awe I was at Ultima Underworld graphics when it first came out. If you look at that today, you'll gag.

Well, that's true enough. Graphics have improved very significantly in the last decade and not in gradual shifts either every time. I just don't recall the graphics from 2002 being as bad as those two up there but maybe I'm comparing them to the wrong games and just not realizing it.

It's certainly possible to get far, far better character models using 2002 level tech, as Battlefield 1942 would like you to know.Not Bethesda's strong suit, really. But since the entire rest of Morrowind looks amazing even now, I give them a pass.

Now, see, that's what I'm talking about. But I will agree that the overall graphics can definitely more than make up for a lack like this, I was going off just the shot that Dwip initially posted here. For strictly character models, that looked bad.

That's not bad for a first attempt. I lean toward version A myself as it looks much closer to what's expected from the MW screenshot.I'd avoid deriving things from SI clothing since it can lead to problems with copyright licensing. Bethesda's DLC modification policy is retarded.

To voice some dissent, I'm not sure the cuirass route is going to work. The fur one looks a bit better to me than the leather one does, but they both look like retextured armor, and not clothing. I maintain that you're probably better off starting from a base of one or another of the LC or MC tunics and going from there.To attempt to distill some things:- Not really concerned about the high collar, or the sash for that matter making it in. Both are probably too difficult.- I care a lot more about the tunic style of the thing, and about the sleeves, or at least an approximation of the sleeves. Those are the most important elements to my mind.- I also care about a fairly exact color and design match.Sorry to be so critical, but...

No problem, Dwip. I was going to mess with the MCshopkeeper shirt as it has the length and was going to ask if the colour was important. Now I know. Back to photoshop!

To further complicate your life, a couple more needs:- A set of UC01 clothes in roughly the same shade of blue as is used for the cloth parts of the steel armor. Silverish/steelish highlights, natch. This is for Adrius Vanarius.- The UC03 set in a very light pale blue, roughly the color of the woman's dress here. This is for Narisa Arvel.

Totally down with Adrius, and rock on, but for Narisa, two things:1. The overall color seems way more white than blue to me, and could probably use a little more bluing, although if you wanted to leave that middle bit in the skirts as is, that would be cool.2. The top part is perhaps a bit too patterned.That said, as a white dress it's pretty good in its own right, and may be worth keeping about for somebody else at some point.

I agree it's not quite blue enough, I swear it was in PS though.I made the top lacey because I got fed up trying to segregate all the little pieces of trim and hacked them off so I felt it needed something. But that's fine, I have other patterns to use that might be more subtle or I could make it satiny like the skirt. Stay tuned for more samples from my sewing machine tomorrow.Glad you like Adrius.

Er... hrm.. in-game, during day/sunlight, it's very pale, almost as white as the first example. So I guess I'll tone down the brightness on it some more.Note to self: When making normal maps for clothes, make them flat. Flat, flat, flat. And then all your clothes won't look like quilts.

Flat, or very subtle like I do with the painting meshes. A little texture is good. A lot of quilt and/or canvas bumps is bad.