TESV DLC: Hearthfire

Thomas Kaira

Hearthfire has been officially announced.

And it appears we were right about the rumors that Hearthfire would include constructible homes. With the DLC, you can now build your very own dream house. No more of that canned bullshit we call 'houses' in the cities, why not set yourself up with a manor worthy of the Dovahkiin?However, there will NOT be any story quests with this one. All it is is home construction (and if you want, adoption). As such it will be available for 400 Microsoft Points ($4.99 on Steam).Release date for the Xbox 360 version is set at September 4th. Release date for the PC version is some time after that, but no sooner than a month. Release date for the PS3 version... well, your guess is as good as mine (sometime after Dawnguard is the best I can do). That's two more items from the Game Jam video. Pretty interesting way Bethesda set up the Skyrim DLC, give the devs a week to do whatever they want when the game is done, and then filter out the very best stuff, refine it, and release it as DLC. Here's game jam material turned into DLC so far:- Magic and Archery Killcams (Patch)- Mounted Combat (Patch)- Enhanced Underwater Visuals (Patch)- Kinect Shouts (Patch)- Become a Vampire Lord (Dawnguard)- Werewolf and Vampire Perk Trees (Dawnguard)- Build your Own Home (Hearthfire)- Adoption (Hearthfire)

Interesting. Very interesting. Some new animation resources in there as well. Also, that was damn quick on the heels of Dawnguard.Also, if you noticed, on one of the dialogue screens for the children, you could give them a gift. That dialogue branch has been laying dormant in the system since launch.BTW, sly marketing strategy to use a small, sort of throwaway DLC as the second exclusivity item :)From a modding perspective, my only main concern is where are these prearranged plots of land at?

It certainly looks nice, and it would be interesting to see just how much work there is involved in construction itself. Of course, they've also upped the family element a notch, and Bethesda aren't exactly the best at this type of thing (for one, I'm very doubtful about all this 'extra responsibility' stuff).

If they want to go down the family road, I'd much rather they go all the way and include the option to get married and conceive a child that way. They always take the easy road on this stuff. Yes, having your wife be pregnant and not actually getting bigger as a result would be... odd.... but it would be better than punting it into an adoption system instead.I hope they at least remembered they have an orphanage to pick up the new kids from. Though I can't really see myself bothering with this part of the DLC anyway.

Semi-related, a user here asked about 1st person horses: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1406389-hearthfire-thread-5-merged-topics/page__view__findpost__p__21454508Gstaff's response: "No announced plans for that"One of their signature *wink wink* be patient responses. I predict it's coming, but obviously not with Hearthfire.

God I would love 1st person horses.As for Hearthfire, I'll probably get it for xbox, since we have no access to any other houses. I doubt I'll get it for PC. If I want a custom house I'll learn the CK. :P Children are annoying enough I don't need one in my house, thankyouverymuch.Edit: Oh hey, I reached the top of the mountain with over 1000 posts. lmao.gif

Clearly I need to make more silly posts like this... :devil: Were first person horses shown in their game jam? Because that seems to be the stuff that's getting added.

Do let us know how that goes, someone passed me a donation earmarked for Hearthfire's purchase next month when PC gets it. I was planning to get it anyway, mostly because I wanted to dig into how it works and perhaps make use of some of its stuff in future village mods.Sure as hell hope it doesn't end up needing a UHFP :P

Official article on HearthfireAlso, Hearthfire is now available on Xbox 360. Let's hope Bethesda doesn't take the cold-shoulder stealth-release approach for the PC version this time like they did with Dawnguard.And the first bug reports come rolling in:- Occasional freezes on entering your new house.- Spouses cannot be moved into any Hearthfire homes.- Broken conditions on the Entrance Hall upgrade dialogue between you and your stewards does not allow you to purchase the upgrade.- Purchasing upgrades from stewards may fail, leaving you out of pocket with a bare home for your troubles.

Isn't that special?The occasional freezes. I have to wonder. Are those users also using Dawnguard? If so I'd chalk that up to the mass of deleted records that causes the same behavior on PC at random times in random locations.The upgrades issue sounds pretty much like the same problem with the alchemy upgrade for Breezehome that the UDGP fixed, which was initially caused by a wild edit in Dawnguard that blew out the conditions to make that work.Does the 360 have load order management?

No, the 360 does not have load order management.I haven't had a freeze yet and I've been in and out of my house many times. It's not furnished yet, just a shell of a house. I dunno if that has anything to do with it. But yeah, tons of bug reports already. Naked children. :o Can't comment on the other bug reports, haven't done any of those. I don't do spouses, I'm not getting children and I don't rely on my steward to furnish it for me, lol.I've found a definite one though. Mining an iron ore vein on the Falkreath property the steward (and I think the player too) stand in the air above the vein, not on it. Annoying cause the steward mines it all the time.So far it's pretty interesting. It'll get old fast though. In and out of menu's is all you're really doing. 3 property locations, same house style for all. When you're "drafting" your plans you have to be very careful. Some add-on rooms are in the same spot. I was wanting to get an armoury and a library but the library disappeared after making the armoury. And lucky me, had a dragon attack as I was making nails on my anvil.

But yeah' date=' tons of bug reports already. Naked children. :o [/quote']Wow, how embarrassing is that? :blink: A bug like that is something Bethesda really needs to fix right now, least they face a Hot Coffe-esque controversy and a potential rating revision.

I think naked children could do more than just get their rating revised. Someone could get into serious legal trouble if that's allowed to remain, unintended or otherwise.How do you not catch this in QA? Do they seriously not HAVE a QA process? How does that get past Microsoft certification?And on load order, how the heck do console users ensure that this stuff loads the way it's supposed to then? Is there even a way to know?

Meh, disappointed now. I was hoping for a seaside view with the house in The Pale. What you get is on the plains, just north of Lorius Farm on the border to Whiterun hold. :sad: Besides the orphans in the orphanage, there's apparently orphans running around in each city now. You can just talk to them to adopt them. This kid in Dawnstar runs between the two mines carrying a pot, supposedly bringing meals to the miners. I've also seen two new load screens of kids, one a girl, one a boy. They are overly bright and the boy has no hair. From what I've read, it looks like the naked children happen when you give them new clothes. Console users can't see any load order. I'd bet the add-ons just load as they're installed, so... in order. :shrug: We only have the DLC's.

Yes, I imagine Bethesda's choices of land are limited, but I guarantee you people will be finding more suitable spots for homes in mods.I think it would have been better to not infest Skyrim with even more annoying children, but hey. I'm of a mind that they didn't belong in the game at all. They're an eyesore to realism when they and they alone can survive a brutal dragon attack or vampire ambush in a city while everyone else is dead.Do you guys even get to know the filenames you're using?

Nope. Microsoft goes out of the way to make gaming on their console as intellectually un-challenging as possible. :ninja:

They do, but in a country where controversy is the news, things will get very ugly very fast if the press gets hold of this.

Yes' date=' I imagine Bethesda's choices of land are limited, but I guarantee you people will be finding more suitable spots for homes in mods.[/quote']Well, as I've said, have fun with that. I won't be getting it for PC.
I think it would have been better to not infest Skyrim with even more annoying children' date=' but hey. I'm of a mind that they didn't belong in the game at all. [/quote']Yes, this.
Do you guys even get to know the filenames you're using?
Well yes, in a way. You can view the HD (and the USB that I'm using) to see and manage all your saves and you can see the two files for Dawnguard and Hearthfire, along with file sizes. You can also see the patches or Title Updates now that they're big enough that they don't hide in the cache.

All that hype and no skeletal butler? I smell a first PC mod coming from whoever gets to it the fastest!

The skeletal butler was featured in the Game Jam video where Hearthfire was first revealed. He was apparently a steward option at the time.