Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Wow. That's competition material there. Hard to imagine that being only a birthday cake. :blink:

Yeah, go ahead and post it to DC.Certainly makes the cake my mom made me once when my birthday landed on Easter look weak, but I still loved it :) (It was rabbit shaped, sorry Dwip)

Well, are we sure it's a cake?No, I jest, but I mean - seriously - how could you eat that after having made it, or watch someone else eat it? There's a reason all my cooking looks like slop.

That cake is amazing. I love the details too. Apparently it's not going to be eaten though, so one wonders what she's going to do with it then...We've got similar anti-obesity stuff going on here. One of the things is that school cafeterias have gotten super healthy now. Great. So now all schools with cafeterias are losing money and facing major fee increases for parents because students are going elsewhere to eat. Surprise surprise!! The shock. Our public schools are funded by taxes, but they all have extra fees for various services.

I fail to see the point of making a cake you're not going to eat. It will eventually rot, yes? That can't be good. As awesome as that dragon cake is, it should be consumed. My rabbit cake was awesome too, but it got ate and nobody shed any tears over it :)Our public schools are also run at taxpayer expense. They also stiff parents for all sorts of extra "fees" on top of that. Our cafeterias are also seeing the same sort of things happen. Not serving what the kids want? They're either losing out to brown-baggers or to students willing to risk detention to eat off campus.

Honestly, that sort of eating issue is easily solved - you close the gates once school starts and don't let the children out at lunchtime.It's also a parent thing - if the kids have enough money to eat off campus they probably have more than they need.

Kids find a way to get off campus if they want to bad enough. Nanny state prison measures won't help that.

Yeah, we could get off campus pretty easily if we wanted to in HS, and I don't think that's changed a whole lot in the last ten years. Though we kept most everybody on campus for lunch by virtue of (surprise!) having an awesome cook.Different for the grade schoolers, I guess.

I always brown-bagged in grade school because school food just plain sucked. Nobody cared back then if you did that. Now they fight the parents tooth and nail to keep the kids from bringing stuff from home.

They don't want kids bringing food from home? WTF? No idea what the rules are here these days, but that really surprises me.

I really find the idea of getting food from the cafeteria at every lunch weird. In Australia its standard to bring in your own lunch; there is a canteen that you can buy food from (which, to be fair, has actually gotten significantly more 'healthy' over the past few years), but its nothing more than just that and certainly not designed to feed the whole school. Almost everyone brings the majority of their food in. Not that its a barrier against obesity problems; Australia is terrible in that respect.Also; they are building massive metal fences around public schools in Australia these days to, although, its more about keeping people out that keeping kids in (our schools tend to be more a group of separate buildings than one big one, so keeping people out is much more difficult).

Yeah, I brown bagged all through school, except in the (rare in grade school, frequent in HS) instances when the food was pretty good. Wasn't ever a big deal.Of course, I went to a small rural school. All the business about "OMG healthy!" and "OMG let's put a Subway in the school!" and that seems to be a city thing, so...Also, school lunch is actually a pretty big deal in Oregon and I think the whole US. Free/reduced cost breakfast/lunch at school is one of those fun social programs we have for the poor kids. Hence, of course, the angst. Because if it's "FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!11!!!eleven" we sure do fucking angst about it in this country....yes, my mother was a HS secretary and I may have seen a thing or two on the subject. Maybe.

I've got to be honest - food in the US seems pretty bad from a UK perspective - the amount of adatives is pretty shocking.The current storyline in Supernatural is that the baddies are going to take over the world by putting something in the corn syrup, but outside the US we generally use other sugars more widely, and there are a lot of foods that don't use anything like "corn syryp" at all.S0 - less world domination, more just the domestive American market.Also, my sister says it's really hard to find good cheese, apparently all your is orange?Talking of walking off campus - I just realised the biggest reason it doesn't work here - no one will serve you in school hours in uniform if you aren't 5th Year.While we're on the US school system I have a question I have been dying to ask for ages:Is it true your cheerleaders/sports players wear those uniforms/jackets to school?

I ate about as well in London as I do here, FWIW. You can get whatever you want here if you're willing to look for it.The corn syrup thing is...probably a problem, yes. We use it in everything.Not a cheese guy, but no. Though to some extent probably dependent on where you are.Not a whole lot of school uniforms unless you go to private school, and not sure anyone would care either way. Dunno, I never actually skipped school.We...didn't have cheerleaders. Couldn't tell you. Mostly our sports people wore button down shirts and ties on game days, and letterman's jackets the rest of the time (unless their girlfriend wore it, and ah, young love in HS).

There's a quest stage left over in my quest.I don't know whether to delete it for neatness sake, or leave it in case it's connected to something.

The funny thing about the corn syrup deal is that it's no more or less "lethal" to you than cane or beet sugar. It's just sugar from a different plant.Cheddar cheese is yellow, as are American cheese slices. I think that's where the extent of yellow cheese ends though because most of the ones I see on the shelves are a white color of some sort.Kids around here don't have school uniforms. Not even in the private ones. That's possibly just because California hasn't been real big on that though.Keeping in mind the last time I was around such things in school was 1989, no, most of the sports and cheerleader types didn't wear those uniforms outside of the activities they're meant for. That may have changed since then though.

All Australian schools wear school uniforms, private and public. :sad: That said, its taught me how to formal clothing. Also, that I hate it.As for our food, well, our cheese seems to be mostly yellow. The main type sold is 'tasty' cheese, although I'm not sure whether that's actually any different to cheddar (or processed cheese, which is sort of like pliable salty plastic). Although fetta and other white stuff is also there. Also, I don't believe I've ever heard of corn syrup being used in food, so there's something different. But considering all the cane sugar that's made over here, it'd probably be more expensive to use anything else.

The funny thing about the corn syrup deal is that it's no more or less "lethal" to you than cane or beet sugar. It's just sugar from a different plant.

Cheddar cheese is yellow' date=' as are American cheese slices. I think that's where the extent of yellow cheese ends though because most of the ones I see on the shelves are a white color of some sort.

Kids around here don't have school uniforms. Not even in the private ones. That's possibly just because California hasn't been real big on that though.

Keeping in mind the last time I was around such things in school was 1989, no, most of the sports and cheerleader types didn't wear those uniforms outside of the activities they're meant for. That may have changed since then though.[/quote']Sounds like you live in a sane place - but that doesn't explain all that orange cheddar cheese that's like plastic. This stuff is so pervasive that even the "cheddar" in COBL was orange! In the Northern US/Canada my sister literally couldn't find yellow cheddar or anything she recognised as cheese other than specialty stuff.The corn syrup thing is not just a sweetening thing - its in everything, and that's very odd.Just to clarify - I know

It's still pretty easy for me to find Brie, Camambert, Kerry Gold cheddar (great stuff, that), Blue Cheese, Feta, Parmesan (imported), and Chevre in America, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Heck, I was even able to get my hands on some Manchego, too. :tongue: Not cheap, but good cheese never is.

How much is a pound of cheese over where you are, chedder?Although - you have to be aware that in the UK regional chedders are extremely common and Kerry Gold is just for butter.

We've got lots of different kinds of cheese too. It's actually become pretty popular. They're getting into different varieties and have started to describe the flavour because you wouldn't know what some of these cheeses are otherwise. Here's one of the websites showcasing the cheese makers: http://www.fromagesduquebec.qc.ca/en/cheese_makers/ I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't as much variety out west though. And we have lots of varieties of cheddar even, so it's hard to quote a price.And why do I have a Monty Python joke running through my head right now? innocent.gif They're starting to introduce school uniforms for public schools here. It's mainly to reduce bullying and the expense for parents. It was getting ridiculous. Kids wanted the latest fashions and there was a lot of competition over it. Poorer kids couldn't keep up. They also didn't like some of the revealing stuff girls were wearing. So they've mandated uniforms with a minimum length for skirts, should girls choose to wear them.

I wore a uniform from the age of 5 to 16, I would never send my children to a school where they didn't have one - for the reasons you mentioned.The cheese thing - that just be where my sister went, which wasn't Quebec.