Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

A dyer, who was an idle drunken fellow, complained to a scholar that he had bad luck

in his business, and that usually those things which he took to dye were spoiled. The

scholar told him that the only way to have this amended was to reform himself, for he

that lived ill could never dye well.

A man had the pictures of the five senses stolen from his house, and came to a justice,

desiring that the thieves might be bound to the peace. " For what?" asked the justice.

"For stealing your pictures?" "Yes," replied the man. " I thought," said the justice,

" that you had lost your senses, that you talk so idly."

A country fellow who was unaccustomed to paved streets, came to London, and a dog

suddenly ran out of one of the houses and came furiously at him. The fellow stooped

to pick up a stone to throw at the dog, but finding them all fast rammed or paved into

the ground, exclaimed, "What a strange country am I in, where the people tie up the

stones, and let the dogs loose! "

What is it that stands aloft, and regulates our daily movements, yet feels no interest in

our concerns; directs us when to go, and when to come; yet cares not whether we attend

or not; still, thus indifferent to our fate, often strikes a heavy blow to urge us on,

and we feel no resentment when the reproof is given?

A clock

Handbook of Conundrums, 1915

Fisher v. Lowe
122 Mich.App. 418, 33 N.W.2d 67 (1983)

Syllabus

A wayward Chevy struck a tree
Whose owner sued defendants three.
He sued car's owner, driver two,
And insurer for what was due
For his oak tree that now may bear
A lasting need for tender care.

The Oakland County Circuit Court,
John N. O'Brien, J., set forth
The judgment that defendants sought
And quickly an appeal was brought.

Court of Appeals, J.H. Gillis, J.,
Gave thought and then had this to say:
1) There is no liability
Since No-Fault grants immunity;
2) No jurisdiction can be found
Where process service is unsound;

And thus the judgment, as it's termed,
Is due to be, and is, Affirmed.

Opinion

Before BRONSON, P.J., and V.J. BRENNAN and J.H. GILLIS, JJ.

J.H. GILLIS, Judge.

We thought that we would never see
A suit to compensate a tree.
A suit whose claim in tort is prest
Upon a mangled tree's behest;

A tree whose battered trunk was prest
Against a Chevy's crumpled crest;
A tree that faces each new day
With bark and limb in disarray;
A tree that may forever bear
A lasting need for tender care.

Flora lovers though we three,
We must uphold the court's decree.

Judgment affirmed.

GoG is now offering GOG-connect where you can add your steam games to your gog library for free.

Currently, this offer includes 22 games and is limited to a five day period. More games may follow in the future, but you have to link your steam account to your gog account permanently (no games are lost on steam).

Sadly they seem to have technical difficulties pulling the game list. It wouldn't let me add the Trine games to my library. Otherwise, this seems to be the perfect offer for people like me, who'd like to make a full switch. I hope inXile and Obsidian join the cast, soon.

GoG is now offering GOG-connect where you can add your steam games to your gog library for free.

Currently, this offer includes 22 games and is limited to a five day period. More games may follow in the future, but you have to link your steam account to your gog account permanently (no games are lost on steam).

Sadly they seem to have technical difficulties pulling the game list. It wouldn't let me add the Trine games to my library. Otherwise, this seems to be the perfect offer for people like me, who'd like to make a full switch. I hope inXile and Obsidian join the cast, soon.

Thanks for the info. I've never used GOG... Is the only benefit to GOG the fact that the Steam client doesn't have to be running?

I have heard a lot of people talk about GOG, but I never really understood the benefit of GOG vs. Steam.

Yes, one of the benefits is the no client requirement. But actually, that's one of the side products of not having any DRM. I'm not against DRM per se, but having an installer that is DRM free guarantees I'm able to install my games in the unforeseeable future, no matter what. realized that on Christmas, when i tried to install some old CD-ROM games: it's either installing a crack from a Russian website, or getting the game a second time on gog. I put security (+ speed and ease of use. Try making 3 ISOs for a computer, that no longer has an optical drive, get a thumb drive, fiddle with the installer, then with the crack, and consider that vs downloading one measly gog installer file) before money.

Steam may be around forever, but it's still a gamble. Any DRM could come back to bite your ass.

Then there is that fact, that gog works actively to get old games in the store, that are no longer available anywhere else. Their name implies it's their most unique selling point, and the reason they started in the first place. They wrap many old games with dos box, so you don't need to worry about whether the game will run on the latest OS versions. Steam doesn't care whether the games it sells still run on win 7, 8 or 10. GoG tells me on the store page. Sometimes they even package unofficial patches on top into the installer (optional). You just download that one file, install and the game works, as bug free and without further tweaking as possible.

The gog client is touch friendly (steam is TV friendly though), and i am not forced to update to never versions of a game (something gog will further extend upon in the future, allowing you to downgrade games, at least early access ones for now).

And of course competition is good for gamers, though I'd say for now steam offers more consistent price cuts.

Of course there are downsides (being worked on): slower patch availability, no achievements yet, less social features, and the only important one: no cloud sync.

In a nutshell: they easily win you over once you try to replay some (really) old classics. And then you realize your current AAA collection will also be old classics in no time. Skyrim turns 5 this year. It may be that this line of thought may be unnecessary in the future, when it will become apparent, that any game released post 2005 will forever be available; and it may be unimportant for you (now) if your whole gaming life is already present on steam (youngling!), but if you're old enough to remember AOL CDs, gog looks appealing.

Man, I wish they'd offered this sooner. I only have one of the first batch of 20 games but it would have been worth it to save the $20 I paid to move it over the hard way :P

I wonder if they have plans to offer this for disc based stuff too. Although I don't know how you'd prove to them you own a disc copy of something that doesn't hook up to an online store.

They do offer this for discs. Scoll all the way down and hit 'reclaim your game'. It's sadly limited to just a handfull of games (stalkers and Mount and Blade games), Since i guess this were the only developers, that wanted to join the initiative. You will need the cd keys, of course.

I'm not sure what gog is offering developers to join these programs. Maybe they just pay the money out of their own pocket and write it off as advertising?

Bump: if you have problems adding your games, the gog page now lists, that you need to set your steam profile to public. after that, it detected my games. You can set it back to private afterwards.

So, rumor on the net, that's spreading quickly, has it, that Bethesda may reveal a Skyrim remaster at their pre-E3.

i'd have to say i'd not be against having the benefits of the updated 64 bit engine, and i'd probabaly get it. (definitely at half price down the line).

If the rumors hold true, i imagine this would be especially big for consoles, with potential modding support over there.

I'm not sure how likely i should value this rumor, i know i'd probably want it to be true, which is clouding my objectivity. But consider this: currently i don't see what kind of big things they might have in store for their press conference. most things are either known already, recently released or on an incremental update scheme. The conference would be boring without a few surprises, and i don't quite see them announcing TES6 yet.

I think you should put little if any stock in the rumor. The guy who originally speculated on a remaster never mentioned Skyrim. He simply referenced "an older game". The rumor mill at Neogaf are the ones who assumed it must mean Skyrim.

A Skyrim remaster is probably in line with their efforts to bring mods to consoles. Also, if they are planning a second shot at paid mods, which looks very likely, it would make sense that they would release an updated Skyrim that is integrated with their own infrastructure, so that they can cut Steam out of the picture and avoid at least some of the problems of last time.

Having said that though, I think a remastered Morrowind would be a great idea :woot: Me wants

Personally I would like to see Morrowind or Oblivion, if they are in fact doing a TES remaster of some sort.

I have to admit that I am too young to have ever played those, Imstearn. My first true RPG experiences were Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate. BG is what got me hooked...

Headline of the year:

http://www.nerdcore.de/2016/06/10/fuck-it-the-kangaroo-fucks-apples-the-pig-on-dicks-farm-while-duck-watches/

"Fuck It the Kangaroo fucks Apples the Pig on Dicks Farm while Duck watches

A KANGAROO and a pig have struck up an intense romantic relationship in the tiny wayside town of Aileron. The animals’ owner Greg Dick said tourists were often taken aback at the sight of the kangaroo — named “F**k It” — mounting Apples the pig by the side of the road. […] He said the presence of two geese in the paddock “just having a bit of a look” made the surreal situation even stranger."

Always suspected kangaroos were dangaroos, This confirms it. Look for the little hogaroos popping out of the pouch!

Is it possible no-one from this site will be able to buy it as we will all be undead by then? Hmmm that's an idea for a headline:

Bethesda Studios Overturned by Draugr in Protest.

Edit: Perhaps the unmentioned projects are Oblivion and Morrowind. Hey, if 5 years is okay then what's 10+ or 13+ between friends?

• 2 weeks later...

Today when I logged out I find this interesting, BSF has slowly started to die.

15 members, 1256 guests, 1 anonymous users

In the past there were a lot more people logged in than it were guests in my timezone (UK +1 and I'm 6 hours ahead of BSF) and my local time is 14.00 PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only reason Bethesda's (really Valve's) attempt failed was because 4Chan are selfish entitled pricks :P

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not, the warm up guy is the heart and soul of comedy:

Playing Games for too many years? Time for convalescence!