Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Today I wanted to search for some lost/old mods in TES Search since someone at BSF couldn't find a working link.  But a message tells me that the TES Search site expired 7 Oct, 2015 and I don't know if Yacoby is aware of that yet. :(

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got tired of chasing after Adobe and their countless security issues with Flash. Uninstalled it this morning. So far I've not run into one single website anywhere that I visit with regularity that even noticed it was gone, not even Youtube. Good riddance to it I say. May it eventually join the Java plugin in obscurity.

today i switched most of my open source programs to portable versions using the portableapps.com installer/launcher. It modifies a lot of programs to run on a USB stick/cloud drive without a need to install or put stuff in the user data folders (programs run without the launcher, too). from the launcher you get a quick update functionality, and well known programs like firefox, opera, chome, gimp. LigreOffice etc are all easily downloaded and updated from a menu.

i have to say, i'm a fan already and i can definitely recommend it to anyone, who switches PCs a lot. I hope it cuts down on the manual work needed to update seldom used programs and get them working with all plugins (like gimp) on new computers.

does anyone use something similar?

P.S. i switched off Flash 3 months ago and haven't looked back. the only issue you might get are twitch and facebook videos. but i use neither of those.

I don't switch PCs at all so portable stuff like that wouldn't have much appeal. Sounds like a nice solution for those who do though.

If Facebook and Twitch are likely to be the only trouble spots, I guess I won't miss Flash at all. I don't use either of those sites :P

So I finally got tired of chasing after Adobe and their countless security issues with Flash. Uninstalled it this morning. So far I've not run into one single website anywhere that I visit with regularity that even noticed it was gone, not even Youtube. Good riddance to it I say. May it eventually join the Java plugin in obscurity.

Are you talking about the Plugin Container that exist in Firefox?

No, I'm talking about the Flash plugin specifically. The "plugin container" in Firefox (and its forks) is their sandbox where all of those things are run from. You can't get rid of that.

I see.  I didn't know that about the Plugin Container.  Although, I wonder if the CTD's I had with the Plugin Container in Firefox is related to the security issue, Adobe vs Flash, you mention about.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night my old computer simple died and refuse to boot up no matter what I did, so I decided now it's time to finally, and permanently, retire my old computer. 

Which I did, but I couldn't expect the trouble I had with Steam and when I went to bed it was an early morning in Sweden between 05.00-05.30 AM.

After a few hours of sleep I knew what I needed to do and that's to install MozBackup then restore my profile for Thunderbird and doing that fixed all my problems with Steam plus a lot of other things too in the process.

Personally, if I failed to restore my profile for Thunderbird then I needed to contact my ISP provider by telephone and I think you can imagine how long it would take to actually get things working as it used to be as it were before switching to a new computer.

So my advice is to get MozBackup, only for Firefox and Thunderbird I think, ASAP and (ab)use it as much you want.  It saved my old system configuration on a new computer. :D

EDIT:  I have just restored my profile for Firefox and everything is back as it were before switching to a new computer, even my customization for Firefox was restored. :dancing:

Edited by Leonardo

wait, what does thunderbird have to do with steam? and why would your ISP be able to help you with that?

I was wondering the same thing. ^^

wait, what does thunderbird have to do with steam? and why would your ISP be able to help you with that?

I was wondering the same thing. ^^

What exactly has Thunderbird to do with is quite simple, because without a working e-mail account added into Thunderbird I wouldn't been able to even login to Steam.

The exact reason why I couldn't login is that Steam Guard detected my login on a new computer and not a login from my old computer, so Steam Guard forced me to write an unique code that was sent to my registered e-mail address for current Steam account, which weren't added in Thunderbird at that time.  Remember, I started from scratch with nothing and I even had an unused SATA HDD installed on my new PC.

That's why I needed to restore my profile in Thunderbird, otherwise I needed to contact the support of my ISP provider and get new credentials via a normal mail, which will take a few days before I got the letter.

What about a web login? Surely your mail address allows for this? Also last time i reinstalled my OS (thursday, second time this week. Yay Win 10. Don't ask) i simply read the steam guard mail on my phone...

Anyway for logins everywhere i switched to a gmail address for accound verification. I wouldn't use one provided by my ISP. The times that was all the rage are luckily long behind us (aol anyone?) Imho gmail looks the safest currently with it's logging of IP addresses (sends warning mail on login tries from new IP regions/countries you haven't been before), oauth and two factor authentication. It feels like hackers will have the hardest time hacking into these accounts. And if they try, i get a notification on my OTHER mail address. Not sure thunderbird supports oauth though.

And also: probably best to at least remember the login for you verification mail address, you know, the one you need whenever you reset your pw on any other website ;)

What about a web login? Surely your mail address allows for this? Also last time i reinstalled my OS (thursday, second time this week. Yay Win 10. Don't ask) i simply read the steam guard mail on my phone...

Anyway for logins everywhere i switched to a gmail address for accound verification. I wouldn't use one provided by my ISP. The times that was all the rage are luckily long behind us (aol anyone?) Imho gmail looks the safest currently with it's logging of IP addresses (sends warning mail on login tries from new IP regions/countries you haven't been before), oauth and two factor authentication. It feels like hackers will have the hardest time hacking into these accounts. And if they try, i get a notification on my OTHER mail address. Not sure thunderbird supports oauth though.

And also: probably best to at least remember the login for you verification mail address, you know, the one you need whenever you reset your pw on any other website ;)

A web login has nothing to do with my problem with Steam Guard, because I needed to open an e-mail in Thunderbird especially the e-mail account I had registered for my Steam account which was protected by Steam Guard.

Steam sent me an e-mail with a special code for Steam Guard and without adding that code any login will fail and that's a security measure Valve has for Steam and Steam Guard in particular.  Also, that special code for Steam Guard were only valid for a couple of hours, not sure how many hours though.

Yes. But what about logging into your mail account via its web based login? Don't tell me your mail account doesn't have a web client.

Look, I think you misunderstood me a little and what I mean is that I didn't have my registered e-mail account for my Steam account added in Thunderbird yesterday, which is necessary to have in order to read an e-mail that Steam sent about an unique code for Steam Guard.

Look, I think you misunderstood me a little and what I mean is that I didn't have my registered e-mail account for my Steam account added in Thunderbird yesterday, which is necessary to have in order to read an e-mail that Steam sent about an unique code for Steam Guard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best tweak i've done in a long time: Change my browser background color to dark gray. no i'm no longer blinded by a bright white flash each time i load a new page on black websites like AFK at night time. :D

According to later posts in the thread, it's temporary. Pretty rude of the host to move things over a holiday without prior warning though.

[...] gmail looks the safest currently with it's logging of IP addresses (sends warning mail on login tries from new IP regions/countries you haven't been before), oauth and two factor authentication. It feels like hackers will have the hardest time hacking into these accounts. And if they try, i get a notification on my OTHER mail address. Not sure thunderbird supports oauth though.

The most recent versions of Thunderbird support "OAuth2" -- the authentication method used by Gmail.

According to later posts in the thread, it's temporary. Pretty rude of the host to move things over a holiday without prior warning though.

I'm not so sure if you can blame the host since there is hard weather both in UK and in US right now.  However, should the host simply moved the DNS server without a notifying their customers then I agree it is rude.

It's just my luck that I registered on the time things were still being worked on. I sent an email about my inactive account because I'd like to use the site (and not have to re-register with a different name and email) :P

I assume you're referring to your inactive account on GHF.  Then send a PM to Drakkmore on BSF and explain to him what happen, I think he can fix your inactive GHF account.

• 3 weeks later...