Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Most if not all Youtube videos are only available in 720p max when using HTML5 player. Just WTF.

As for Dark0ne, I don't think he gives much shit about anything. Yeah he's probably extremely busy trying to keep the site from falling apart during the past few months, but there are like five tons of small yet annoying as hell bugs or weird things noone ever bothered with, which don't look like needing weeks to be fixed. The famous backslashes, improperly parsed smileys, etc. etc. But of course manpower was needed for implementing some shitty videos feature when the forums are completely useless, comments are broken, and basically posting anything (and trying to keep track after) is like using sandy lube while sitting on a cactus.

I've only been on Nexus for 4-something months and already feel like I am on a trip 10 years into the past.

Yup, I feel better now.

The famous backslashes

What is the problem with backslashes ?

Comments are not broken. And I can track them on hundreds of mods really easily. I really don't see the problem.

Maybe they fixed it recently?... Basically backslashes were ignored, resulting in really weird stuff when you tried to paste a path.

Comments are... ok only partially broken (the famous bug where you get some html garbage popup window and your post ends up at the top instead of being "threaded" as a reply to something). They are more like completely useless. There's no real threading, so you can't tell who is replying to whom. Numerous BB codes don't work at all.

The comments basically use the forum as the base, right? Well go ahead and try to post in the forum (preferrably by quoting posts) instead, people will crucify you for messing the comments up. This is what I call broken as hell.

The forum itself is so horrible you can't use it for shit even if you want to. Everytime I see "In response to post #16105390. #16123290, #16132985 (ideally 4 lines of this) are all replies on the same post.", I die a little on the inside.

There's no way to track replies to your comments, and no way to recognize new comments either.

Backslashes have been a problem for quite a few years. Mentioned in many topics.

If you are posting on the Mod page comments in reply to a comment thread of replies :

C:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\textures\filename

becomes

C:gamessteamsteamappscommonskyrimdatatexturesfilename

So to get around that, you go to the nexus forum and post there instead where the \ backslashes do work ..

So long as after you post it on the forum side - You then dont edit it on the mod page side, otherwise you lose them again.

But then as Octopuss says you cannot reply a thread of comments the same 

Have a look at a recent example on Skyrim Performance Monitor comments :

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6491/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D6491%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D533199&pUp=1

Scroll down to my post which has quotes ( something else you can only do on the forum side ), following that is my reply to my post explaining why that first post did not follow on from mnelsons post replying my post further down from the first post of mine ( scroll down a little further and the disjointed conversation becomes obvious )

If you have really long comments aswell, you cannot pinpoint a reference post successfully - By that I mean try to show someone a specific comment and link to it, then you have the leapfrogging conversation threads going on one side which are not consistent on the forum side, and maybe someone out of those thousands of posts gets banned .. The post ID of the post you linked is now rubbish.

Its workable if you only use either mod page OR forum page, but quite often you have to use both to overcome the shortfalls of one or the other, and in so doing introduce more inconsistencies / cross forum problems

I agree with Octopuss, posts can be frustrating on nexus, add to that the frequent double post problems ( one of which will be in reply to another comment, and the other will not follow on .. but rather split off into its own starter comment as a duplicate of the reply comment ) ..

And then there are days when just getting the Comments tab to actually load the comments might be a good thing.

... Anyway, :) MORE SANDY LUBE FOR OCTOPUSS OVER HERE ! :P

Edit : Disclaimer - I do like Nexus a lot, especially recently the stability of the site is now consistent compaired with the last couple of years, and even better if you are a mod author recently uploading files is now a dream. Uploading my last large file on Nexus was a case of praying to the nine, and doing a naked fire dance ritual before trying for the tenth time to upload one file ( having wasted the best part of a sunday and needing to get up for work in three hours time ) .. Those days are gone. I can walk away from the machine and come back to find the file uploaded and the next click works so that I can proceed directly to editing the description or adding more images etc.

Comparatively the sites problems now are just little annoyances, and I reckon the site admin will get around to solving them eventually, daily attacks by botnets and a myriad of technical problems prevented them from looking at anything else over the last couple of years.

In fact, I was surprised some time ago to see that people think you can't display backslashes in Nexus comments. The solution is really simple and I thought it was common knowledge : just type two backslashes, and it will display one. You don't have to go to the forum at all. :)

I can't remember how I knew that, it must be an old memory from my student years in computing science. The very first time I typed one backslash in Nexus comments and I saw that it wasn't displayed, I immediately thought "of course, I must type two backslashes". And it worked. ;)

There's no way to track replies to your comments, and no way to recognize new comments either.

I don't think so. I track several times a day the new comments to the mods I track. Just turn on the "Receive notifications for new comments on files you're tracking" option in your preferences : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/preferences/

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy Nexus exists, it's just those little things and some of the features that don't exactly work in a useful way. The problem is, a few little things together pissing you off for long enough make up for rather HUGE steaming pile of shit, and especially if the admins refuse to even acknowledge these things for months. The best response I could squeeze out of them was "go post it in the bug tracker", but noone reads that shit!

I don't think so. I track several times a day the new comments to the mods I track. Just turn on the "Receive notifications for new comments on files you're tracking" option in your preferences : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/preferences/

Nah, that only tells you there were new comments since... some time. There's no way to tell what's new! Basically, useless feature under current implementation.

alt3rn1ty, "last couple of years" - does that mean the site has been in its arse since the beginning? :D

Nah, that only tells you there were new comments since... some time. There's no way to tell what's new! Basically, useless feature under current implementation.

Nope, new comments since your last visit, as simple as that. Very useful. I don't miss a single new comment in every mod I track, believe me.

Of course, you're right, Nexus has its flaws. But I'm still astonished by the wonderful content it delivers for FREE. Modded Skyrim would not be the same without Nexus, that's my opinion.

That's what I love with Bethesda's games : you have passionate modders, passionate bug hunters like USKP team, passionate webmasters like Dark0ne... All of that for free. Incredible.

alt3rn1ty, "last couple of years" - does that mean the site has been in its arse since the beginning? :D

Couple of years is not the beginning of nexus, someone will correct this but Robin has been maintaining an Elder Scrolls site for about 8 years I think, its been renamed in that time ( I have been following this game series since Morrowind GOTY which I got early 2004, and I was a late comer to TesNexus in 2006. Oblivion sparked my interest in TESNexus, and I first uploaded the Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide quite a bit later in Oct 2010, which is now called NexusMods Oblivion ), and took over from ( what used to be ) other good sites such as Planet Elder Scrolls ( PES ).

I say ( What used to be ) because the site software on PES seriously went down hill with advertising mechanisms which really made you jump through hoops just to log in, let alone download anything.

Before those we had boards like TELESPHOROS' LIST o'MODS ( my personal favourite for Morrowind at the time - You will see some of Emma's early mods there ), which linked to UFRealms.net and ElricM site ( I think these have gone now ) ..

.. Nexus may have had its troubles over the last couple of years, and not due to site admin I may add, but it has also been a site that the Elder Scrolls communities have been able to rely on over many years while other sites have come and gone.

Have a read of this - I think they had spent something like 140,000 trying to get normality to resume at that point, but they had to keep battling until about two months ago when they could finally breath a sigh of relief.

The biggest problem for Nexus ? = Skyrim. Massive demand on the site from the outset, and the demand kept getting bigger outstripping Robins expectations of how big the game would be, and the resulting community needs.

Couple of years is not the beginning of nexus, someone will correct this but Robin has been maintaining an Elder Scrolls site for about 8 years I think, its been renamed in that time ( I have been following this game series since Morrowind GOTY which I got early 2004, and I was a late comer to TesNexus in 2006. Oblivion sparked my interest in TESNexus, and I first uploaded the Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide quite a bit later in Oct 2010, which is now called NexusMods Oblivion ), and took over from ( what used to be ) other good sites such as Planet Elder Scrolls ( PES ).

I say ( What used to be ) because the site software on PES seriously went down hill with advertising mechanisms which really made you jump through hoops just to log in, let alone download anything.

Before those we had boards like TELESPHOROS' LIST o'MODS ( my personal favourite for Morrowind at the time - You will see some of Emma's early mods there ), which linked to UFRealms.net and ElricM site ( I think these have gone now ) ..

Before it was rename to TESNexus it was called TES-Source I believe.  If you go back with the Wayback Machine you'll notice that TES-Source have posts/threads back in 2004-2005 I think.

What really happen to PES was that IGN decided to shut down FilePlanet for good in which PES were hosted, so it has nothing to do with the site software except it became impossible for the admins of PES to maintain any hosted mods there.

Remember PES is more known as Morrowind Summit and back then it became the largest community site for the Morrowind community, which change its name to Planet Elder Scrolls (PES) in 2003-2004 I think.  It's also worth mention that many sites in the early years became defunct sites e.g GamersRoam, Euro-Morrowind to mention a few and yes later also UFRealms.net, ElricM, but AFAIK only hosted mods on GamersRoam well most mods survived and is now archived on MMH.

Thanks Leonardo, I knew someone would remember better than I. The one that amazes me is CanadianIce & Howndogs place, I think it only gets an occasional visitor ( I have kept a few posts going over there periodically ), but the site just keeps on going.

I like Fliggerty's too, looks like its going to be a treasure trove for anyone wanting to dabble with old mods

Thanks Leonardo, I knew someone would remember better than I. The one that amazes me is CanadianIce & Howndogs place, I think it only gets an occasional visitor ( I have kept a few posts going over there periodically ), but the site just keeps on going.

I like Fliggerty's too, looks like its going to be a treasure trove for anyone wanting to dabble with old mods

You're welcome. :)

I'm that kind of person who likes to dabble with lost/old mods and let me tell you one thing.  There is thousands of mods on MMH that would never have a permanent home if it isn't was for Ronin49's huge mod collection he somehow obtained.

Anyway more background history can be found here.

Yes he has a few pages I think.

EDIT:  Not only old sites now defunct have their part of the modding history in the early years, but also mods too and Pozzo's Rise of House Telvanni mod certainly have the most interesting mod history imo.

The other day Paint.net had an update so I install it, but last night Paint.net crashes when I launch it and all I got was an error message saying that I could provide a crash log report.  I reinstalled Paint.net 3.5.10 and got it working.

Just a hour ago I decided to check their website and found out that Paint.net 4.0 was available, but now it required .NET 4.5 to be installed in Windows.  So I did that too and once Paint.net was loaded I notice a total makeover of its GUI.

• 3 months later...

A couple of days a go I went on tesnexus for the first time in...I dunno, a year or so, to have a look at how my mods were doing.  I was really surprised by how many endorsements (and downloads, but I don't really remember how many there were in the first place) they'd gotten since then, they all seemed to have 5-10 times as many as they did when I left.  Plus some other odd things, like my second UL having half as many downloads as my first but more endorsements. 

Obviously this was also the case with every other oblivion mod I checked out (the UL compilation has certainly been popular), but I'm still surprised at how many people seem to still be using these things.  Has there been an influx of people back to playing modded Oblivion after the popularity of Skyrim or something?  iirc correctly a similar thing happened after Fallout 3 was released.

Hey man, where you been? How's things?

Anyway, Nexus implemented an endorsement reminder nag screen a few months back. It's caused a whole heap of endorsements to get made on things people downloaded ages ago and forgot about. It's also keeping the pace of endorsements much higher for all the new downloads made since the system went in.

There's even Morrowind mods on there that had virtually no endorsements that have counts into the hundreds.

Then of course there's the Skyrim section where even shitty mods can get endorsements into the low thousands.

Hey! :)  Not much has changed for me since I was last on here, I'm still at university and living in a college and spending a lot of time nearly going insane trying to comprehend my law units.  And being my usual liberal self.  I haven't been gaming a great deal, there hasn't been much time and I've generally been playing Civilization (mods) when I get the chance.  

It's great to see that you've been having some success with the kickstarter project though.

Anyway, re endorsements, ah,  I see, that makes a lot of sense.  I'm surprised I've missed running into that nag screen while I was using nexus to check that stuff out, there must be a ton of mods I never endorsed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not even universally aplicable one way or another.

I was playing BF4 without any problems at 35 fps on my crappy Radeon 5850. At the same time - and I don't get it - Skyrim gets noticeably choppy when fps drops below 40. I assume it has something to do with the engine used. It's funny that it probably doesn't matter that much in fps games like Battlefield :D

And this crap doesn't stop at fps. People keep telling you how you must have 120 or better 144Hz monitor else blabla. I will take quality monitor with IPS panel over crappy TN junk anytime of a day. If a game looks like crap it doesn't matter how well it plays.

Just a heads up folks.  Have just discover a ads virus called AdvancedElite and you don't even know if it's installed or not, so check out in the control panel if you have it installed and that ads virus infects all Windows versions newer than Windows XP.

You can read more about it here - http://www.malwareex...l-guide-solved/