Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Yeah so to lighten the mood .. how about this.. :

A frog goes into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from her name plate that her name is Patricia Whack. "Miss Whack, I`d like to get a $30,000. loan to take a holiday."  Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that it`s ok, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral. The frog says, " Sure, I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about an inch tall,bright pink and perfectly formed. Very confused, Patty explains that she`ll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into the back office.

She finds the manager and says, "There`s a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use this as collateral." She holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

(I loved this)

The bank manager looks back at her and says... "It`s a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man`s a Rolling Stone."

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

:trollcricket: May the crickets and horkers take over this thread!

You got that right.  Here you go! :horker: :horker: :horker:

:partyhorker: :partyhorker: :partyhorker: :partyhorker: :partyhorker:

Is there anyone else than me who is using Thunderbird?   If so then do NOT update to the latest version 24.0.5 I think, because it will crash and you cannot restart it no matter what you do a least I couldn't do anything. :crash:

I'm not certain if reinstalling/downgrading Thunderbird or rebooting your computer will fix this crash and I've no idea what's causing this crash anyway. :shrug:

24.5 is the latest (according to the Mozilla site). Have you searched for anyone else with such a problem? I did and couldn't find anything.

24.4 here and working perfectly - of course automatic updates are turned OFF, only update once a version is proved to be stable.

Yep I did found out what the problem was and that turns out to be a temporary issue with Avira, which was solved this morning after booting up my computer.  You know what they use to say a good night sleep often corrects most problems. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder what happen to BSF this afternoon.  It's just plain text nothing else with a boring white background color.  I'll leave the speculations to others about what the cause is. :P

No they haven't not on my end.  Perhaps it's Pale Moon that's causing this.  I dunno. :shrug:

Definitely not Pale Moon as I'm using that too. Site's been fine all day.

I check BSF earlier today it looked normal, but when I wrote my post it didn't.  So I assume there were a temporary server issue that only affected certain countries e.g EU-countries.

Since you're using Pale Moon I just want to check with you if you updated Pale Moon recently.  The reason I ask is because I had a few minor crashes after I updated Pale Moon to 24.6.1 a few days ago.

There were a few crashes, yes. It went away after a bit though. Problem is, that sort of thing became a huge problem with Firefox after ignoring it for ages. I just hope it doesn't become the case with Pale Moon too. Things got a bit crazy after the last security update for Flash too.

Just what I thought.

So now you're saying or should I say you have just confirmed my opinion about Firefox and let me tell you one thing though.  I agree completely and I remember one update in particular, which was something about an update from FF 11.0 to 12.0 IIRC and gods know what crap it happen in FF.   I hope this update is just a hiccup a temporary failure.

After a while I kinda regret it to actually seek after an update, so I decided that no more buggy FF updates for me without having a stable FF setup version on my HDD first just in case something goes terrible wrong.

I wouldn't go back to Firefox now anyway. The UI changes in version 29 are horrible. Might as well just use Chrome.

Neither do I go back and use FF, but that's what we have in common because I've never liked Chrome.  I suppose Google is probably my decision to dislike Chrome from the beginning similar to what M$ did when IE 1.0 came out in the mid 90's.

Good to know.  Thanks for the tip. :)

I wouldn't for my life starting to use IE again and once I've abandoned IE then I won't touch IE except when I must use it on a few websites.

• 2 weeks later...

That Pale Moon thing somehow grew on me over the past week, and after some seriously annoying crashes lately (how can plugin container-something crash the whole fucking browser? I thought its point of existance was to prevent exactly this - and even in Opera it worked!!!) I finally got to install it yesterday. It's pretty cool! It starts a lot faster, and with lots of junk removed, it feels somewhat lighter and more pleasant to use. I don't believe in placebo though, the performance is probably the same as Firefox.

The only downside is that if I ever get to play Battlefield 4 again, I'd have to start it from IE, because their damn plugin requires 32bit browser (wtf). Of course there probably isn't any reason to use 64bit browser for normal users, but there also isn't a reason not to.

Now if only I could ditch that stupid Flash Player crap.

HTML 5 can't take over the web fast enough. Death to Flash! :P

Amen to that. If anyone is completely rid of flash ( no proprietary flash or shockwave installation, AND no pepperflash installed ) .. I can vouch for the VLC media player browser plugin which works quite well with Chrome based browsers like WhitehatSec Aviator ( open the Learn More at the bottom for the FAQ ) or Comodo Dragon.

VLC plugin comes as part of the whole VLC Media Player installation. Open source, plays everything ( no need for codec packs ) .. I use it to replace Windows Media Player in all of its uses.

Quite a lot of YouTube is now non-flash friendly, but there are still quite a lot of vids which need flash, a wedge of these are viewable with VLC plugin

I dont have exact numbers, but I rarely come across anything that actually needs flash despite the browser still protesting "This web page needs Adobe Flash" psych' torture.

If you are terminally afflicted with online free flash game addiction hoovering up your data / habits then you will still need it. Those are just ripe for ransom malware exploitation though these days. They are not the most securely programmed browser plugins respecting privilege levels.

IMHO if it needs flash I skip it.

The biggest snag with that attitude though for our community is .. Just about everything embedded on Nexus descriptions in video form needs flash - Aaaagh. There have been a couple of topics on Nexus forums reference this, but I dont think DarkOne has noticed them.

Here's one : http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1377905-suggestion-use-new-youtube-embed-code/