Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Not to mention that Bethesda could release a patch themselves in the unlikely case that this happens (though that is just about as unlikely as Steam shutting down ;) ).

One company I love for that is Egosoft, if you register your cd key with an account on their site, you can access a patch that allows their games to run without Steam. That and they support their games, well after they have been released. And they just ported their last 3 games in the X3 series to Linux.

Valve can't make that promise in good faith though. WHEN the day comes (this isn't a matter of if), it'll be because they're broke. Broke companies don't tend to have staff on hand nor do they tend to have the means to pay for things like power to run datacenters. Plus this "promise" of theirs is not mentioned in the ToS which would be the only thing people could hope to use as a legal instrument to hold them to it.

Or maybe some companies will go the route CDPRed and GOG did and offer the game from them, like Wormheart said. (possible but improbable? wishful thinking? who knows, but people WILL get mad at the companies too if their games are gonna be gone for good) 

Heck, with the WItcher one can redeem it on GOG even if you bought the Steam version (which is also DRM free).

Just had another WTF moment in Skyrim.  I was walking through a snowstorm, because I had too much loot.

Anyway, like I said I was middle in a snowstorm and didn't see much in front of me walking my way from the Pale Imperial Camp to Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp to the south, but suddenly a dragon attack without any warning and a second later there were horses, imperial soldiers trying to kill the dragon.  Fortunate for me I had Lydia, Mjoll the Lioness and Vilja in tow, so the fight was over almost as quick the dragon appeared out of the thin air just like that.

The last couple of weeks I've gotten several calls from someone claiming to be in the service department for some emergency medical alarm company wanting to set up an appointment to install something they claim I had ordered.  Until today I had assumed it was a prerecorded message because they just kept on with their spiel regardless of what I said to the guy before hanging up.  However, what I said to them previously was fairly polite.  Today I ran out of patience and told the guy what he should do with himself before I hung up.  I heard a gasp so it wasn't prerecorded after all.

Now this is a scam, that is making the rounds and taking the life savings of some vulnerable and/or elderly people.  I had read up on it before doing that.  I already had no patience for that.

Which reminds me. Last weekend someone called the house asking for my roommate's father. He happened to be here at the time so took the call. I overheard something about Obamacare and some "new card" they claimed people were going to be issued. I don't normally pay much attention to these things, but when he went to get his checkbook out of the car my spidey sense was tingling like mad.

I got the phone away from him before he started to give out the information. Whoever these people are with are claiming that there's going to be a new ID card issued for Obamacare and that they needed a bunch of information - starting with the checking account routing number and account number.

I was not a polite lizard at this point, because politeness and tact are for honest people doing honest work. Whoever these guys were, they refused to identify themselves, refused to specify which agency they supposedly worked for, and refused to describe the specifics of what the whole thing was even for. Plus they could barely put two English sentences together. I told them to go F themselves and hung up.

They actually had the audacity to call back about 10 minutes later with someone just as unable to speak English attempting to sound very authoritarian and making unspecified threats of legal consequences if we did not comply.

All of which happened on a Sunday night around 8pm - no government agency in the US operates at these hours. Not even their overseas phone jockeys. So keep an ear out for this one - it seems the thieves have embraced Obamacare for their own purposes. They appear to be preying on potentially vulnerable elderly folks.

Yep, that is just another scam, and must be pretty new.  You did the right thing.  I hope you can keep your father safe from those jerks.

I can do better:

"Dr Wallinder, this is about your recent car accident insurance claim"

Me, "I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number. I don't own a car."

Hung up, not even a goodbye.

We're stacks of scam telemarketer calls at the moment over the 'government solar panel rebate'

Except you need to give the Indian guy on the phone your credit card details before you are eligible to receive them.

Well, I think its the case anyway because I hang up on these pricks before they get a chance to explain themselves.

A friend of mine told me not long ago about the several phone calls he got from Windows Server Center and that was something about the network my friend is using.

After a while he finally get fed up with those people who phoned him almost every week and he simply said... Windows Mail Center ...when answering the phone and the result was the same as Sigurds they hung up.

Install an answering machine. Never, ever just answer the 'phone, listen until you know who it is then decide whether you want to take the call or not. Most scammers hang up as soon as they realise it's a machine. Bonus is that they have to pay for the wasted call :evil:

This is why I don't ever answer my phone, unless I recognize the number. Bless you, Caller ID, I never have to deal with this again. ;)

I'm a cheapskate - hate paying the telco for something which costs them next to nothing to provide ;)

Use a cell phone. Caller ID is standard then, and unless you answer, it doesn't cost you minutes for them to waste their time calling you.

Is it just me or is there anyone else who have notice that Google's gmail server has been running slow lately.  First I thought it was my hosting company for Sovngarde, but after a while it turn out to be my gmail account. :shrug:

Not that I've noticed. All of the iguanadons.net email is handled by them too and it seems fine.

Not related to Google though...  but I simple love stupid spammers that's trying to register with a hot IP address then register again with a different IP address and made a spam post the same day.  Sounds like the ADC TV series to me. :P

I got one of those phony medical scam card calls today.  They guy thought I was my husband.  Said he was from something called "medical benefits compensation department" and then asked how I was doing.  I did make him repeat that bit about where he was calling from.  I replied that I was sure I did not want to talk to him.  He said "ok" and hung up.