Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Are you serious? Skyrim really won't play on Windows 8 at all? What about Oblivion, that's the bigger concern for him (and me) by far? :shocked:

Though it is amazing what I'm finding as I reinstall my old games onto my new computer is and isn't incompatible with Windows 8. Some of the older games that had issues with Vista/Windows 7 seem okay with Windows 8's compatibility mode while some of the fairly new games that were written for Windows 7 and are okay with Vista, in other words that shouldn't even need compatibility mode, seem to have issues with Windows 8 even with compatibility mode.. I'm fairly floored by it and am having to literally install everything I've got and wait to see for each one. :crash:  :throw:

I run Oblivion and Skyrim on Windows 8. Never noticed any problems, and the performance is about the same between Windows 7 and 8 on my laptop. 'Course, I might be misrememberin', since the last time I played Skyrim on Windows 7 was November 1.

Windows Eight is a less resource-heavy OS than 7, if anything they should run better - though I suppose you'd need to have less than 8 GB of RAM to notice.

(Yes, Windows 8 is better coded than Windows 7 - it just sucks ass from a UI and DRM point of view.)

You can still get to the desktop using Windows 8, and it looks pretty much the same as in 7.

The desktop takes a little bit to navigate to things like the control panel, but that's what shortcuts are for.

It's those UI and DRM issues that will permanently keep me from bothering. You can have my Windows 7 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

Seriously, who thought a touch based tablet OS was a good fit for a desktop PC anyway?

*Shrugs*

I got the hang of it pretty quick, and like I said you can still get to the desktop...

Also I like the aesthetic.

I've now personally seen proof that Windows 8 is indeed a very nice machine on a touchscreen computer...but as I have no intention of getting such a machine, I'm with Arthmoor and the 'cold dead hands' thing.

*Shrugs*

I got the hang of it pretty quick, and like I said you can still get to the desktop...

You have to switch between two UI's - we're all pretty savy, imagine what it's like for the average Joe. The Start Screen is a full-Screen Start menu with a completely different scheme for the interface.

That sucks.

Been awhile. Benn putting off getting my credentials back in order here.

On the topic of Windows 8: It is to me an OS that was shoehorned into the desktop marketplace without an adequate port. It was designed for touchscreens and MS didn't do a great job converting it to Mouse/Keyboard. For that reason, it will be skipped by me.

Hey, you live.  Yay.

On a similar note, I see I've been spending too long in chat and neglecting this thread.

@prettyfly - yeah, I think everybody's first week of college was like that.  Mine included such highlights as having the Oregon State Police tell people to either illegally drink in their rooms so they wouldn't get caught, or go to parties and get arrested; the apparently famous sex ed professor trying to sell her class (apparently she lived in the dorms with us that year); and a floor meeting where we got told to maybe blast our stereos a little less.

Those were good times.  Have fun with it.

Also, a continuing "meh" to Windows 8.

A guy who I used to go to school with died two days ago in a motorcycle crash.  My sympathies only extend so far as he crashed while being pursued by police.  And for that  matter, it happened in suburbia, a short distance from my home (not the college I'm staying at, which is hours away).  Oh, and he was 16, on a learners motorbike licence.

Everyone, of course, is rushing to abuse the police and an investigation against them has been launched, but I'm not quite so sure about the 'it must be everyone but the victims fault' mindset that's immediately taken up whenever something like this happens. 

Does anyone actually know any details of the specific circumstances? Like, maybe, why the cops were chasing him to begin with? Without that sort of info, it really is pretty hard to gain much sympathy, on the other hand, my sympathy does go out to those this fellow left behind.

@Ysne58: I haven't heard that term, "suicide by cop", in a few years now.. but I can tell you that it's very likely most cops' very least favorite topic.

I run Oblivion and Skyrim on Windows 8. Never noticed any problems, and the performance is about the same between Windows 7 and 8 on my laptop. 'Course, I might be misrememberin', since the last time I played Skyrim on Windows 7 was November 1.

I disagree, PrinceShroob. My own experience so far is that Windows 8 seems to have much more difficulty with software written for prior versions of Windows than Windows 7 did and seems to bog down much more easily than Windows 7 did from simple things like "too many" windows open, even with double the ram running on the box.

Windows Eight is a less resource-heavy OS than 7, if anything they should run better - though I suppose you'd need to have less than 8 GB of RAM to notice.

(Yes, Windows 8 is better coded than Windows 7 - it just sucks ass from a UI and DRM point of view.)

It may well be better coded, but I don't buy that it's less resource-heavy by any reasonable measure. So far, comparing side-by-side a Windows 7 box with a Windows 8 box that has twice the RAM and comparable CPU, Windows 8 insists on having much more running processes to accomplish the same things and seems to stay much higher in CPU, RAM, DISK, and Network usage on a constant basis. (This is with 8 GB of RAM in the Windows 8 box and 4 in the Windows 7 box which, over the past month, when tasked with exactly the same extra processes, has shown, to me, that Windows 7 handles resources/load quite a bit better.)

As for UI/DRM, I definitely agree that Windows 8 spends way more effort to not only connect you to Microsoft, but then also does all it can to ensure that you stay connected to them too. I also agree that the transition to the Windows 8 interface is awkward and clumsy, at best, but once you do figure it out (which anyone who can accidentally right click can eventually do) the aesthetics aren't bad and there are some coolnesses to it, though if we really needed to make the original start menu graphical like a secondary desktop (image wall, maybe?), we really could've used a few more organizational options and the ability to more easily rename "tiles".

You can still get to the desktop using Windows 8, and it looks pretty much the same as in 7.

The desktop takes a little bit to navigate to things like the control panel, but that's what shortcuts are for.

Once you figure out how to get to the desktop, yes, the desktop itself looks basically the same as it did in Windows 7 with the glaring exception of the Start button that Microsoft spent so many years getting us all comfortable with. I would say that calling it taking a little bit to navigate to find things like the control panel is a bit of an understatement, but, yes, once you do find things you can pin most of them to the task bar or create desktop shortcuts to them easily enough. Of course, doing so creates a cluttered desktop fairly quickly too.

It's those UI and DRM issues that will permanently keep me from bothering. You can have my Windows 7 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

Seriously, who thought a touch based tablet OS was a good fit for a desktop PC anyway?

This second sentiment is my primary issue. I can't imagine what idiot came up with the idea of turning everyone's desktop computers and laptops into tablets/cell phones, let alone what the head people must've been thinking when they approved it. Even the notion of trying to drive the market to buy touch screen monitors shouldn't have been enough to drive them to release the OS without first vastly improving the keyboard/mouse interactivity during the expected transitory period.

*Shrugs*

To each his own, and there are parts of Windows 8 that I think are pretty cool. For example, I really like being able to choose whether to log in via password, pin, or image coding, though I really dislike that in order to change my Windows logon password, I have to change my hotmail/live/outlook email account password unless I opt to maintain a local Windows account which then causes me to lose some of the other primary Windows 8 "features". If I had a touch screen monitor, Windows 8 would be really cool in that it definitely takes far better advantage of that sort of interface than any of it's predecessors, but since I don't have one and am not about to reduce my screen real estate drastically just to spend a LOT of money on a new touch screen monitor.. well, the benefits don't really outweigh the costs to me. Unfortunately, being a computer professional, I need to be familiar with the new OS and being that it's particularly difficult to find new computers with the older OS, I'm stuck with the situation of dealing with Windows 8 via mouse/keyboard on my newest computer.

I've now personally seen proof that Windows 8 is indeed a very nice machine on a touchscreen computer...but as I have no intention of getting such a machine, I'm with Arthmoor and the 'cold dead hands' thing.

Yes, if one has a touch screen monitor, or an all in one with touch screen computer, Windows 8 is a very nice OS with some really nice, if not so intuitive, features.

You have to switch between two UI's - we're all pretty savy, imagine what it's like for the average Joe. The Start Screen is a full-Screen Start menu with a completely different scheme for the interface.

That sucks.

Actually, for the average Joe, the learning curve isn't that bad, but it does exist. Windows 8 takes some willingness to experiment a bit and even the helpfiles are a typical of Microsoft in that they tend to try to explain things to an idiot level (thus boring most people into not being willing to read them) while insisting on using technical jargon that's often exclusive to Microsoft and their new OS version so that the average Joe would have trouble following even though it's all broken down to steps that most would take for granted. As for the Start Screen, it's actually the old start menu that's been iconized, basically with the specific option of picking and choosing which items from the "tree" you want displayed, but it lacks a means to organize those tiles beyond rough grouping in specific preset sized column blocks.

Been awhile. Benn putting off getting my credentials back in order here.

On the topic of Windows 8: It is to me an OS that was shoehorned into the desktop marketplace without an adequate port. It was designed for touchscreens and MS didn't do a great job converting it to Mouse/Keyboard. For that reason, it will be skipped by me.

Yes, this is a significant issue. There is much more that you can do much more easily in Windows 8 with a touch screen interface than with a mouse/keyboard interface. Using the somewhat buggy built-in speech recognition does help, and there are third party add-ons (I'm looking at you, StarDock!) that can further help immensely, but even with those a touch screen will get you far better mileage.

@Dwip: Good to see you posting again, Dwip. ;)

Apparently there is a limit here to how many quote blocks one can include in a given post.. but you can select for multiquote more than that number and the editor won't bother mentioning this limit until you are done responding to each of said blocks and go to actually post your novella. :(

I'll third the glad to hear it motion, so, unless there is a compelling opinion to the contrary to be heard, I'd say it passes. ;)

Hope the recovery goes well too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed a phpBB forum on Sovngarde and later the same day I also installed a wiki page, but I think I need to update the wiki page because it wasn't the latest version.

I know there is a lot to do so it might take some time before I'm satisfy, but it's a good start and I'm not in a hurry to get everything in place so the home page will be blank until I've more time to build it.

So anyway - I've been reading the "Shadows of the Apt" series, and it's really good.

It's a bizarre meld of High Fantasy, Steampunk and gritty politics, with good charactarisation and original cultures thrown in.

I recommend it.

Bet it felt good getting the stitches out, glad to hear that the cold's getting better and that your recovery is going well.