Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

You have way more dedication than I do. I've got like 30 books on my to read shelf. Some of them have been there for years. The library gig doesn't help, and even then I often check stuff out, don't read it, then check it out later.

Pft. Amateurs. I have around 100 unread books waiting on my shelves.

And before anyone leaps in waving their ebook reader thingy and boasting about having thousands of unread books on it, that does NOT count! They're not real books if they're not made of paper.

Depends on what the book is, though. All mine are thousand page history doorstops, because the novels don't last long enough to make it to the to read shelf. Though, 100 is a lot.

And as much as I love my Kindle, and I do, it just doesn't count if you don't have a shelf sagging under the load.

Literacy is awesome.

Maybe partly dedication, Dwip, mostly barely having the time for everything I really want to do so taking every spare moment to read between other things I want/have to do... that and our library's collection is small enough that I've already read all the books in the house at least once or twice, even some of the bizarre stuff we found at my wife's grandmother's house when we helped clean it up... except that one Chinese-English translator... just haven't been able to bring myself to that one...

Vorians, I will firmly agree that e-books maybe catching on and seem really cool, but no real avid reader could bear to not have at least a shelf or two in their demise that buckles a bit under the weight of their real books. E-readers just are not the same thing.

You know it, Dwip! Without my books... my last move would've been sooo much easier... er, I mean, what would I be?? (No, no, wealthier is unlikely... or at least not relevant.)

(Oh, and just so the record is clear here, I did specify that those were the library stack, right? The stack of owned books that's unread is a wee bit more significant, and mainly still in bags from Barnes & Noble from my recent trip.. maybe a box from Amazon or two too ..because they don't have a due date. ;))

On a totally separate note.. does anyone know why I'm the only one who's info under their avatar in this thread is formatted with an odd looking dot in the center of it and something about not having warning points?

I'd attach a image of it, but it seems I lack the knowledge of how to do so here. :(

(Sorry, AndalayBay, I realize that I've not really stayed in character so much yet in the forums, though I have posted as such in the status updates a bit, but as I only really post in the rules sub-forums and the birthday threads and here.. well... .....on the other hand, Hey Dwip! What would a Roman Praetorian likely think about books and such? Let alone e-readers??)

- Not a Cadsuane lover, but "regressive" is not a word I would use. She's more likely to fix the major issue with the Aes Sedai, the whole "power = authority". I mean - yeah - there probably aren't more than 100 of them left by now, the organisation is going to be seriously top heavy for the next 20 years or so.

- I think the weird Seanachen stuff is actually directly inherited from the Second Age via the locals who were living there before Hawkwing's army arrived. The Ravens thing is clearly because they're ignorant, as they're ignorant of many things. Seriously, though, slavery? Hawkwing was all about the common man but his descendants are about as top down as you can get.

We all get the warning posts thing. Dunno about the dot.

Roman literacy was pretty high, so books probably yea. Also technically apt so long as you're not asking them to invent the thing, so probably yea on the e-reader, too, until it runs out of batteries they can't charge?

- So by regressive, I mean that while Egwene had a genuinely forward-looking, pragmatic view of how the Tower needed to work, I think Cadsuane is less of those things. More willing to cut the BS than Egwene, yeah, and maybe more pragmatic on a few issues, but I still think of Cads as being way more of the old school "the Tower knows best" mentality. Also the whole irritable dictator thing sits poorly with me. Less likely to effect some of the needed reforms, more likely to cause Elaida-like resistance in the Aes Sedai ranks because she sucks rocks at playing AS politics. Like I said, of the ones that spring to mind, I think only Moiraine really gets it. I may be wrong about that.

- Some Age of Legends, I think a lot of Ishamael too. But yeah, one of the neater themes about WoT is how everything is about being a subversion of everything you thought was true about something. See also, the Rhuidean columns in TSR.

Edited by Dwip
How do I book?

- On the flip side, Cadsuane is more about arguing and influencing than out-right controlling. That puts her above most Aes Sedai and irrc it has been mentioned that she's twice managed to be absent from the tower when a new Amyralin needed to be chosen. The implication that she's a broadly popular choice. Crucially, what she isn't is hotheaded or over-emotional. Moraine may be well respected in the Borderlands but she isn't in the Tower, and never has been, and now she can barely channel. So she's out. Pevera is a Sitter, but she's bonded an Asha'Man and is therefore probably out of the running. Still, you know who's going to end up Amyralin?

Yep, that's right - The new Queen of Malkier.

- Mostly, I feel that we have the "Shadow!" reaction because we hate the Seanchen. I don't know anyone who likes them. I get the whole anti-Chaneller thing, but the rest of their culture is what really winds me up. You have to wonder at what point it was decided that slavery was OK, I'h guessing after Luthair died. Also, the Empire is clearly weak - it needs strong central control to prevent systemic collapse. Guess what. :D

- I dunno, Cadsuane's behavior towards her minion Aes Sedai at various points was pretty domineering, and the only person I think broke free of that outright was Rand, and then only belatedly. My feeling on her is that she's a straight up bully, popularity (or legend, more likely) aside. Too, I agree, Moiraine isn't electable, but I still think she's the best choice. That said, I think the Aes Sedai still have so much they need to break away from in the past that the most popular choice may not be best.

Also, I tend to think Nynaeve would be a terrible leader, for the most of the same reasons Cadsuane is a terrible leader. I think we've seen that pretty consistently across the series.

- I can't recall where now (may have been the BBoBA, or somewhere in the series, that talks directly about Ishamael directly influencing the Seanchan like he did Artur Hawkwing near the end, in one of those Shadow plots to destabilize Randland back in the day. Guessing had we ever got the outrigger novels about Mat/Tuon in Seanchan, we'd have gotten a lot more on that theme, and I think we saw some hints in AMOL and elsewhere that Seanchan isn't altogether dissimilar from how the Forsaken might set things up if they were toned back a bit.

That said, I am totally cool with a weakened, collapsing Seanchan empire. Fuck those guys.

- I see what you mean, I just don't think it'll be a train wreck. The Tower will be stablised and will recover.

- Also, Lan Mandagoran facts?

On a totally separate note.. does anyone know why I'm the only one who's info under their avatar in this thread is formatted with an odd looking dot in the center of it and something about not having warning points?

It's because you're special. :P Starting with the Praetorian rank, you start getting pips. I don't know why nobody else has any other than the fact that most people change their title once they hit 500 posts. Sigurd should have a pip as well. I don't know why he doesn't. :lol:

Edited by AndalayBay

Possibly because you altered my profile by adding me to the Inn?

Sounds like a bugged feature.

I'm wondering that too. But I added Conner to AFK Mods. You have a pip there, but it's Xae's dummy.png, which is a black dot. I'm not sure why it's displaying the pip instead of the black dot in Conner's case. shrug.gif

So one of my not so bright roommates decided that 30 minutes ago was a good time to bust out a can of Rustoleum (spray paint) and paint the project for his class assignment due in the morning. Inside the house with no windows open. *cough* *GAG*

He loves the smell of spray paint in the evening. It smells like...As.

Lan is sort of the Chuck Norris of WoT, isn't he?

The obvious problem being that we couldn't open the windows. It's 40 degrees outside.

The obvious problem being that we couldn't open the windows. It's 40 degrees outside.

The thing is, its 40 degrees (and eleven in the morning) where I am at the moment as well, so I can't open the windows at the moment either.

But those are degrees centigrade... 

Yes, well, our time for that will be here in a couple of months.

In the meantime, I have a nasty headache from breathing fumes all night. Windows are open now though and the smell is nearly gone.

Lucky you who have a warmer climate than me, because right now it´s winter and a couple of days ago there were a massive car crash (50 to 100 vehicles was involved) on the highway a bit north of where a live with 1-3 people who died probably more.

A least one was confirmed to die due this traffic incident.  Poor fellow all he did was to step out of the car trying to stop other driver to slow down when he was killed by another vehicle by being squeezed to death.

Wuss!! It's -7C here with a wind chill of -20C. And the coldest place in Canada right now hit -50C. :P I love -40 - it doesn't matter which scale you're talking about. The two meet at that temperature. :D

We're into the minuses again  - probably snow tomorrow.

My hands have begun to bleed again - always a bad sign.