Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

I'm not. I saw one posted somewhere that needed some silly chunk merge thing and a couple of other intermediate steps before on could get Skyrim data out of a mesh.

It was even worse when dealing with collision, which Nifskope doesn't even render properly yet.

I wouldn't worry too much about not paying attention to it as much. Things are still volatile due to frequent patching and DLC disruption.

*lights some new torches to mount to the new pitchforks he's acquired* <--- No, Dragonborn STILL isn't out and they're dragging their asses on it for no good reason.

You'd think setting their offices in Rockville on fire would have been enough. Are you saying the rest of the town must burn now too?

So, it's not that writing 150+ tweets about Baldur's Gate was all that onerous or anything, because I like being snarky. Turning those tweets into an 11 part series of blog posts attempting to do somewhat in depth commentary about every facet of the game - that was rough going, and I have a new appreciation for people who do things like it regularly.

Also, Baldur's Gate is fun and you should play it. But if you haven't already played it, what is wrong with you?

So, it's the end of the world.

I guess we got sucked into a temporal and now exist in some alternate dimension where everything is exactly the same as it was before.

Sucks. I wanted meteors.

Is that what happened? I had wondered where our fireworks and hellfire and such were.

Happy Holidays to you too prettyfly.

I'll second that! And I hope everyone else had a happy holidays too. :)

So I've discovered the point of Angry Birds, which is apparently to give you something to do in between board games at Christmas when mom's iPad is the only handy gaming device in the house. Also to distract you from the epic pain caused by the concrete mattress on the spare bed. Seriously, ow.

Which is to further say happy belated Christmas and a merry more belated non-apocalypse to one and all.

Angry birds has a point?

Sounds like a rough sleep, sorry to hear about it.

and a happy belated Channukah to y'all too! :P

I am so addicted to Angry Birds...

Also hubby bought me Baldur's Gate EE - for the iPad!! I haven't checked it out yet.

Wish my wife would buy me a copy, but I probably wouldn't have the time to check it out either yet. shrug.gif (Though I'd much rather it be for PC than tablet, thanks...)

Seems this board really doesn't like me playing catch up.. because of this bizarre error, my usual mega-post must be reduced to two posts instead, sorry folks.. and:

@AndalayBay:

An error occurred

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text

Ok, not cool. :(

Be curious to see what you think of that. As anyone following me on Twitter is well aware, I am greatly enjoying the PC version. Again.

Actually, I've been following that, and it's quite an impressive read so far.

So I did it again and picked up another Steam sale deal. The Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack.

More to say on these later, but for now, GalCiv 1 is massive bugware and isn't even up to gaming standards for 2003. Yet by contrast, GalCiv2 seems rock solid stable and looks phenomenal even for 2013. Also the huge jump in planetary detail is astonishing between 1 & 2.

Wow, maybe the Mayans were right about the end of the world, Arthmoor's buying yet more stuff from Steam... ;)

GalCiv2 was way better, I agree.

Also you're making me want to play GalCiv. But I think my new Twitter followers would be sad if I did.

I don't know about your new Twitter followers, but I'd just assume you finish your bgee tale first, if you really don't mind too terribly.

Who knew our bbcode editing could become such a topic.

And seriously Dwip, one of these days we all need to find that location central to all of us and just go meet or something. Popcorn and all.

Between the crowd you brought here and the ones we've gained since the move, this surprises you?

I'll gladly offer up space on my farm for the get together. :)

Middle of the ocean? Atlantis!

Now that would be interesting... much easier for me than trying to travel most other places outside the U.S. right now...

Just do it Ama. I sorta want to see where this goes.

*starts constructing lead fortifications*

I'd kinda like to see too. *very evil grin*

This is the rabbit hole everyone warned me about, isn't it? :P

Hey, how come I didn't get that memo? :(

So, it's not that writing 150+ tweets about Baldur's Gate was all that onerous or anything, because I like being snarky. Turning those tweets into an 11 part series of blog posts attempting to do somewhat in depth commentary about every facet of the game - that was rough going, and I have a new appreciation for people who do things like it regularly.

Also, Baldur's Gate is fun and you should play it. But if you haven't already played it, what is wrong with you?

I can easily imagine, but it's going well so far. :)

Um, time and money, mostly. shrug.gif

Welcome back Conner! Did you have a nice holiday?

It's funny you mentioned about the lack of Hanukkah greetings. I actually looked it up and saw that it was over already, so I didn't mention it. Then I saw all the other holidays going on, so I just bailed! :P

Meh. The "holiday" itself was alright enough. Not really very different than what I expected. Unfortunately, with a bit less personal free time on my hands and a slightly longer stay than I'd planned thanks to a small car part that needed to be replaced at the last minute that the mechanic had to order from the dealership who also had to order from their warehouse. I'm a bit tight on funds right now, the motel for a few extra days (plus a weekend) plus the extra meals for those extra days kind of pushed us over budget for the trip.

Yes, it'd actually come before Christmas this year, but since my own heritage includes it rather than Christmas, I felt semi-obligated to give it an honorable mention along with the predominant holiday. ;)

So, me and my stepfather were out shopping today when we happened across a triple-feature of Ernest movies (Goes to Camp, Goes to Jail, and Scared Stupid). Being that we both love Ernest, we couldn't pass those up (plus the $5.00 price tag). Follow this up with back-to-back viewings of Goes to Jail and Goes to Camp... yeah, good times.

I miss Jim Varney. :(

You finished in a day?

It took me about four - but then I couldn't get time off work.

About 10 hours or so. It's my custom to read a new WoT book in a day when it comes out.

Which, guess I'm not doing that anymore. Alas.

10 hours?

Damn, I though I was fast.

So - crowning moment of awesome after crowning moment of awesome, right?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm only sort of sad about a couple of things, too.

- Tinkers didn't find the song. :|

- Rhuarc. :( (it was legit and all, just...kind of a shitty way to go out, you know?)

- That was the best they could do for Padan Fain, huh?

- While Lan's epic moment of epic badassness was epic, part of me still wants to see my initial hunch for how Demandred was going to go down, which was, after the Gawyn/Galad beatdowns, Mat showing up and being all "Hey, remember when I kicked ass on those guys with a staff back in book 3? Guess what?" That would have amused me greatly, but hey, may as well spread out some of that awesome.

I'm waiting for the same experience when the final Song of Ice and Fire book. Although, as that moment is probably ten years away I'm not getting too worked up about it.

Well, yes but:

- The Tinkers could still find the song, because the world is safe.

- Rhuarc's death made my sad, but nowhere near as sad as Siuan and Bryne, or - Light - Egwene

- Fain was always kind of a distraction, his end sort of proves that.

- Lan has had more epicness in the last three books than he's had in the rest of the series, excluding New Spring. It's also been gearing up to Lan having an epic sword fight, and Demandred's the only epic enemy left. Also, Matt got to beat him on an intellectual level, killing him too would have been gravy.

There were some things that erked me:

- Dobraine. Remember that guy? Got badly wounded a few books back. He was heeled and carted off by some of Rand's minions. His return was forshadowed, didn't happen. Shame.

- Logain needed a bit more page-time, although his final scene mostly makes up for that.

- So who the fuck killed Asmodean? Seriously? We were promised an answer in this book, I was looking. Didn't see it.

- In general, it would have been nice to know if certain people had survived or what they had been up to. What about Tallanvor, was he with the Andoran army - did he survive?

What I really liked

- Lan. OK girls, I get it.

- The battles - really well wrung out, great to read and genuinely epis.

- Talmanes - he gets the first Crowning Moment of Awesome, and what a moment it is.

- Can I haz dragonfire?

- Matt, General of the Light.

- Demandred "what have you been doing for thirteen books?" the answer was an Awesome all it's own and he was well written to boot.

- The realisation that - really - it's just all the Dragon's fault, if he'd been less of a dick in the Second Age...

Well.

- I just wanted more Tinkers and Ogier and Age of Legends callbacks, you know? Although, the Ogier we did get were badasses.

- Siuan and Bryne kind of sucked (also the "oshi-" moment when I first figured out the compulsion on the great captains thing), but Egwene got a really heroic and fitting end, so I felt ok about it. For being Rand's right hand man for the entire series and general man of awesomeness, Rhuarc's death just felt terrible. Really wanted him to pull through. But then, that's supposed to be the reaction, so.

- Yeah, I see why they let Lan kill Demandred, and I'm cool with it. I just think the Mat thing would have been great. Though Mat really kicked ass all over the entire book.

- Forgot about Dobraine while reading, then was like "Oh yeah!" Like Rhuarc, I hope he gets to be all cool in the 4th age and all.

- I was ok with Logain for the most part. A bit jarring at first blush when he's all Rand in the box hard, but I bought into it. I kind of wanted to see more of the two towers stuff though.

- We know Graendal killed Asmodean as of either last book or two books ago, and it's popped up a couple times in the text since, though you have to be paying attention. Which, ok, I guess.

- Yeah, considering the amount of screen time people like Tallanvor, etc got, I kind of wish AMOL was about 100 pages longer just to fit some more people in.

- Thought the battles were a bit long, but it's the friggin' Last Battle, so what did I really expect, you know? That said, awesome power usage. Androl + Pevara FTW.

- Talmanes is, indeed, a certified Badass.

- Re: dragons, gateways, and traps, I lost track of how often people said "It's a trap!" I kept waiting for Admiral Ack al'Bar to show up on the Light side.

- Demandred and the Sharans may have the single best epic intro in the whole series. I'm not sure if that tops Dumai's Wells or not, but I was pretty edge of my seat there for a while. I want that in the movie.

- I dunno if I want to blame LTT for Demandred too much. I mean, LTT was kind of a douche, but with guys like Demandred there's always going to be something, you know? Also Lanfear.

- Which reminds me that for a while there I actually thought Lanfear might try to go Light side again. That would have been neat - no man can walk so long in the Shadow, the Light, and Shinowa! and all that. Oh well.

- Seriously still not getting the whole body switching, Alivia will help you die, etc, etc thing. I mean, I knew we were doing the horse into the sunset thing (though it should have been Bela :( ), just the mechanics are hugely unclear to me.

EDIT: Also,

- I now very badly want to read a whole series about the New World Order with a UN backed by Aiel-induced MAD. Among other things because fuck the Seanchan.

Edited by Dwip

- A lot of characters, major ones, die in the book where Jordan has (mostly) been conservative about killing people off. Rhuarc's death was sad, but he fell to a type of enemy he had no way to fight. Siuan just died as if the pattern demanded it. Also, Rhuarc led a full life, was honoured by his people, had wives and children. In a big way Bryne's declaration that he wouldn't marry Siuan until after the Last Battle was about their hope to survive - and then they didn't.

- Egwene was one of my favourite characters - she's been knocked here there and everywhere and I'm afraid for the Tower with her gone. Cadsuane would have made a great Amyralin about 100 years ago. As it is even she expects to topple over any day now.

- Apparently TOM tell us Greandal did it in the glossary. So, there you go.

- Yes - 100 more pages of WOT would have been good. To be honest, I think you could have gone another 500 and split the book in two. Of course, then the 15th book would have been just the Battle.

- Yeah - I don't get the body switching thing "help you to die" was obviously one of RJ's infamous red herrings. I also don't get why Rand 2.0 can just bend the Pattern to his will. I mean, I get that he's literally Jesus, but he was already uber-Ta'veran. What in the Creator's name is he now?

- Yes - Aeil UN, and fuck the Seanchen. They're a grand joke though - a culture that loathes Chanellers, ruled over exclusively by women with the latent ability to Chanel who sit upon a Ter'Angreal that enhances their authority. I wonder what Hawkwing said to Tuon. Personally, I hope he led with "slavery is not OK."

Considering I've never read any of the others, even if I were to read this one I doubt it'd make much sense :)

No time like the present to start. No putting up with multi-year book waits or anything!

- Everything you say re: Rhuarc/Suian is totally true. I'm not complaining about Rhuarc, just...man, what a bummer.

- Egwene would have made an amazing Amyrlin. I'm vocally on record as a Cadsuane hater, but I think it fair to say that she'd be a fairly regressive Amyrlin, no matter how much she may have gotten a clue. Also her leadership style sucks. I would have gone with somebody like Moiraine, personally, though the Aes Sedai bench is not a deep one at this point so I'm not sure who else I'd say.

- What is Rand, indeed. Would've been cool to find out. Oh well.

- And so, so much of Seanchan imagery seems so obviously Shadow-inspired, too. Kind of bizzare they're even on Team Light, but. And I think I speak for everyone in WoT fandom when I say I really, really wanted to see that Artur Hawkwing/Tuon conversation. Hopefully he also told her to stop giving people dumbass names, too. Knotai? Really?

Heya Dwip!

Personally, I could easily have lived without the Ernest series.. but I do thank you for the page of spoiler buttons.. I'm still waiting for my library to get the last WoT time in, but if they got in tomorrow, I'd have to finish the seven books I've already got checked out first, it's a matter of principle.. either way, it'll be a bit before I get to read it, but I really am very much looking forward to reading about the final battle finally. Arthmoor, if you really haven't read any of them, it's a seriously long read, but totally worth it.