Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

*sigh*

First, for URL links, just highlight the text and press the link button in the toolbar, then paste the link in. The link button is the chain link with the green plus sign under it, the ninth icon in the lower toolbar. If you want to remove a link, just click somewhere in the linked text and press the remove link icon, which is the chain link with the red minus sign under it.

If you're not sure what the BB code is for something, click on the Special BBCode icon in the toolbar, which is the third icon in the upper toolbar. That has all the BB codes.

You have to have Javascript enabled for IP.Board. You can find more info here and here. There are several threads on various aspects of using IPB in the Information forum.

Hail, O Dark Mistress of the Boards who we do not wish to make sad, etc, etc, please accept a cookie in atonement.

But you mistake my griping. I'm not saying linking doesn't work (I have JS enabled, this isn't a technical issue), I'm saying it works badly. Here's the thing, or rather things.

1. So far as I can tell, there's no way to do this using that link button. Which, aside from being a glaring oversight that leads to posts littered with ugly links, means you have to do it manually.

But, if you try to do so in the WYSIWYG editor, what you actually end up with is http://dementedrabbi...atan-meme/]this monstrosity[/url], because IPB tries to be overly helpful and autoformats my link. Which, yes, yes, paste as plain text button exists and all that, but really that's way, way too much work for something I should be able to just do with ctrl+v, and something I do all the time.

But WYSIWYG editors in forum software have always made me want to kill people. Us real rabbits hand edit our BBCode, uphill both ways in the snow dodging predators the entire way.

Which leads us to:

2. "Yes," you might say, "so why don't you just use that other editing mode button up there? Doesn't that work?" Well, yes it does, except that the whole grey text on grey background thing is eyestrainingly awful (and kind of pointless, IMHO, but), and, joy of joys, none of the buttons work. Including the special BBCode button. Which, to be clear, isn't even what I was blathering about, which is a nice HTML page/pop-up with a nice list of plain language BBCodes with what they actually do (hand rolling code with stone axes and not being hand held, blah blah blah). In a more civilized age the Bethsoft forums used to have one of these, but apparently we're more advanced that that now. I don't know.

Put shortly, I hate fire.

Edited by Dwip

Also, why is it that every time I offhandedly gripe about something, it results in technical documents of Tolstoy-esque magnitude?

Also also, to be clear, I'm sort of bitching about IPB, not demanding the instant, immediate, imminent, and total capitulation to my demands muahahahaha. Though if you're inclined that way, one MILLION dollars would also be great. Just saying.

Edited by Dwip

Sorry, I've claimed Arthmoor's right as the grumpy one today. I'm not a grumpy lizard though. Hmmm... I guess I'm a grumpy Borg.

You're right. I think everybody that uses IPB has a love-hate relationship with the RTF editor. 3.4 is out and I think they've tried to fix it yet again. It's a big upgrade that we'll look at completely breaking the boards shortly. :P

Hail, O Dark Mistress of the Boards who we do not wish to make sad, etc, etc, please accept a cookie in atonement.

You forgot the bowing, scraping, and wine. ;)

@Ysne - WOOT.

@AndalayBay - Kittens, maybe? And yay, board breakage!

@Amadaun - I have my limits, you know. Ask Arthmoor how much bowing and scraping he ever got out of me. :P Also, too broke for wine right now. But I have a ton of cookies. Also those three flavor popcorn tin things.

Who knew our bbcode editing could become such a topic.

And seriously Dwip, one of these days we all need to find that location central to all of us and just go meet or something. Popcorn and all.

Just wait'll I start blathering about Wordpress PHP again.

I'm trying to think of what central to the majority of us actually is. I think Utah somewhere. Which, I've been to Salt Like City and wasn't that enamored with it. I think we should cut east and hit Dinosaur National Monument or Mesa Verde or one of those rad national parks in CO.

Equidistant between the two of us is like Redding or Sacramento or something, I think. Which, Redding totally sucks. I wouldn't mind going north a bit and hitting up Shasta or Crater Lake or something. Somehow I never made it to either, though Amtrak has pro views of both of them. Also I-5.

Well, I'd be pretty ok with just going to the UK, too. I miss the place. Also, seeing Samson's head pop off from the culture shock would be a GREAT conversation starter. :P

Because, well, the midway point between Toronto and here is somewhere in Nebraska, and seriously, no. I've been there. I don't need to go back.

...shhhhh...don't tell people about Atlantis! The secret will get out, and next thing you know, they'll find out about the moonbase, too!

Edited by Dwip

Amadaun is in Colorado. And I'd drag you guys to the east, as I'm in Toronto. And if you wanted to include some of our UK friends, well... :P

Well, I'd hate to think you wanted to leave us out...

oooh... don't forget the Scandinavians.

To include the fellows across the pond, why don't we just say New York and be done with it?

Works for me, I got folk there.

To include the fellows across the pond, why don't we just say New York and be done with it?

Works for me, I got folk there.

Then why not just say Paris?

Or the UK?

Logically - we have more EU members that specifically US ones, it's easier for US citizens to get Visas for the Europe than vice versa.

...shhhhh...don't tell people about Atlantis! The secret will get out, and next thing you know, they'll find out about the moonbase, too!

Entirely populated by bunnies, I assume.

We could meet in Londinium - if you really want to make Arthmoor's head asplode from culture shock, that would be the place.

Paris might be better for the sheer culture shock and decadent Europeaness of the whole thing, honestly, but London gives you the entertaining spectacle of watching me frolic about in absolute glee from the joy of getting to go back, as well as a bit of culture shock and an efficient underground network.

Also, pubs. Let us not forget those.

I change my vote to Shanghai, then.

I'd say Pyongyang, but those delightful fellows seem to have a few issues with letting Americans into their country, so Shanghai will do in a pinch.

(By the way, no, I'm not a Communist)

Edited by Thomas Kaira