Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Also, what the shit kind of resolution is 1366x768?

That's the just the min res if you want to pin metro apps to the side of the screen.

@Arthmoor/Dwip/AndalayBay(?): On another note.. just out of curiosity, when'd we become "AFK Mods site: home of demented rabbits and grumpy lizards."? rofl.gif

That would be me. :P When I set up the main category, I felt compelled to give it a description. And Arthmoor decided not to change it! alienvert.gif

Ah, I had a hunch, but.. ;)

So in case anybody was wondering, that whole start screen thing in Windows 8? Yeah, it's about as bullshit as you probably thought. It's definitely about as bad as I expected it to be.

Metro, OTOH, is surprisingly less eye-pokingly awful than I had anticipated, though still not good. Doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out with a log like that default theme in XP did though, so at least there's that.

But it's Windows 8. That alone is enough to desire logs protruding from one's eyes.

Yup, the new start screen is BS, at best.

Metro's alright, M$ Office has been using it for awhile now, but I agree with Arthmoor, Windows 8 is enough reason to hate in itself.

And yet you'll soon find IE 10 STILL doesn't have one of those nifty grab corners on text boxes for forums, blogs, etc :P

:lol:

Also, touchpads. Seriously, fuck those things. I can't even tell you.

I have never for the life of me been able to understand why anyone could prefer a touchpad to something that isn't. However, as every single one of my friends and family have a touchscreen phone and/or ipod, it might just be me.

It's different when it's your sole mode of interaction with the device. The touch stuff on my iPhone works great because it's designed for it. On a laptop, they're just clumsy when you're trying to make them act like real mice, fuck you up when you type stuff, etc.

Are we talking about touchpads like on some of the Lenovo laptops where you drag your finger around this really small black square area? If so, those are spawn of Satan.

Yeah, except those are on like all laptops. And they suck.

I bought one for my wife's laptop the other day because she really wanted a touchscreen but we couldn't afford a laptop that had one, she used it for a few days and then we went back to the store and exchanged it for a touch mouse which she is MUCH happier with. Touchscreens work reasonably well, but for real computers they're still very expensive, the touch mouse, on the other hand, is actually pretty cool.

The Skyrim Gods are punishing us once more. A nifty new "your aliases won't fill but your quest will start anyway" bug is starting to come to light.

The Skyrim Gods are punishing us once more. A nifty new "your aliases won't fill but your quest will start anyway" bug is starting to come to light.

That's probably what happened to my DB questline. I had to abort that play-through and start over.

:lol: You surely didn't think Skyrim was actually bug free yet, did you? ;)

Of course not *looks at the evergrowing USKP changelog*

That's probably what happened to my DB questline. I had to abort that play-through and start over.

That may well be, but the instance I'm talking about is a guaranteed failure. Load LAL with the Vilja mod. Start a new game. Rejoice in noticing there's no Mara statue. Why? Because absolutely none of the aliases filled for the quest, despite the quest having started, because you're in the prison cell.

He who figures out how to get around that one deserves a Nobel Prize.

The prison cell is where the alt-start mod puts you, you don't have a choice in the matter :P

It's an alt-start mod, couldn't you just choose a different starting scenario that doesn't place you in a jail cell to start the game?

The problem is that when this mod was first created, there was no way to present all the options to the player. So Arthmoor has the player start in a little cell and click on the Statue of Mara to be presented with all the start options via dialogue. The conflict with Vilja is such that the statue doesn't even show up, so you can't start.

Arthmoor, now you could use the SkyUI SDK to create a configuration menu. However that would probably be a major rework to the mod.

Yes, I probably could, but there's a lot of stuff engrained deeply that would take major rework.

I was considering doing a test run on SkyUI stuff with Open Cities, to handle gates and stuff, but don't tell the goon squad :P

This whole "alias fill failure but quest starts anyways" bug can also strike at random (albeit sorta rarely, I think). You remember that whole thing with the DialogueFalkreath shenanigans I posted about in Beth? This is exactly what happened. Quest had started but when I SQV'd it, all the aliases were NONE.

Also, that jury-rig fix? Didn't work. The aliases reset themselves to NONE upon exiting the game. Had to ditch that character and start over.

It might also just be with quests mods have added/modified. I know DialogueFalkreath was modified a bit by USKP to provide a backup Innkeeper alias, but our understanding of what is going on here is still limited.

Edited by Thomas Kaira

Yes, but those are all vanilla quests. What's happening in my case is two mods with one blotting something in the other one out. I wouldn't have thought such a thing to be possible without having seen it firsthand. The two don't even share any common aliases, so I don't see how this could even remotely happen.

So far I've never had a collapse like yours come up, but certainly SOMETHING has changed recently in the game that's causing this and the only common event we all share is Patch 1.8.

...Bah. Ama wants to play Vilja (once her mod is fully fleshed out) so badly. But Ama also loves Arthmoor's mod.

Ama is conflicted.

Ama simply needs to install Vilja after choosing her start, and then Ama will be happy.

So in fixing something for the USKP just now, I stumbled over a small bit of cut content. When you come out the back of Bleak Falls Barrow, there was supposed to be a dragon attack encounter. They cut it though and the dragon is never enabled.

The dragon itself is actually sitting right there, and so is his trigger box, but because it's tied up with the DragonsEnabled marker, he isn't available.

Ah, that explains it. Hmm, I suppose that really does present a much more difficult problem then. Is there some way to rig an alternative start option menu trigger if the statue is missing?

Maybe they decided to leave the dragon there as an Easter egg for modders.

; lord, so much duplicated code here... this grew "organically" and is now hideous.

; do not look here for examples of good tidy code.

At least the Bethesda scripters have their humor intact :)

I just found out that 'oscuro' is Italian for 'dark'. Has anyone noticed this before? I hadn't even realized it was a word.