Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Yeah, I was wondering about that. When I first read it, it was like, why aren't we celebrating?

After trying out LAL's shipwreck scenario, I am very glad the Hypothermia/Exposure mod I'm using started off disabled. If it were running during that time, that start would have been impossible. Swimming in water only a couple degrees above freezing (like the Sea of Ghosts), survival time is measured in seconds. And I was a pretty long way away from land.I'll chock my survival up to Divine Intervention. After all, someone must be watching over me if I got out of that jail cell, right?

Oven Roasted ChickenYield: 4 PortionsIngredientsYoung Chicken, Whole: 1 EachCarrots: 2 ozCelery: 2 ozOnion: 4 0zRosemary: 1 SprigSage: 1 SprigThyme: 3 SprigsGarlic: 4 clovesS&P: TT1. Preheat Oven 425*, stuff chicken w/ mirepoix & rosemary.2. Roast uncovered for ~30min, or until the chicken begins to brown on top.3. Reduce heat to 375*, continue baking for ~1 hr.4. When internal temp. is at least 165*F, remove chicken from oven.5. Let chicken rest at least 20min.6. Use collected juices in roasting pan for gravy.7. Carve and serve, do not remove stuffing, allow guests to take some if they wish.Do it. You know you want to. :imp:

You know, I'm pretty sure we've never actually had recipes as part of this thread. New ground for Thomas....I'm still going with tamales for dinner though. Also really need to deal with this corned beef in my freezer at some point.

Is that an original recipe of yours TK?I emailed the recipe to my hubby. It sounds like something he would like to try making.

I'd love to, except Oven + Desert = Misery.

This would seem to be the express reason why God invented the air conditioner.

God also invented stingy landlords who don't believe in air conditioning.

I'd love to' date=' except Oven + Desert = Misery.[/quote']And here I am, in the desert, with no air conditioning, using an oven.(Okay, maybe not quite the desert, but summers still send the temperature into the high 90s so it really doesn't matter).So in that case, this is the reason God invented Fortitude. :tongue: Also, Ysne: that cooking time was for about 7000 feet up, so it may need to be adjusted for lower altitude (higher boiling point, which means the chicken might cook faster).Oh, and it's a semi-original recipe. I looked at a few recipes online and changed things up based on how I wanted to do things. Very good results, too, the vegetables on the inside of the chicken allows the steam to moisten the meat while keeping the outside relatively dry so the skin can crisp up. I had a breast when I was finished, and I was pretty surprised how moist it was.

God also invented stingy landlords who don't believe in air conditioning.
but before all of that, he invented windows, then he forsook us and invented Windows.Still, a whole chicken, each. Yeesh :unclesam:

@Sigurd - The "young" part would seem to have relevence here. They're pretty small.@Samson - God also invented fans?I mean, I used to use my oven all the damn time in 90+ degrees with epic humidty, so it is possible.

Also in the continuing series: air conditioner installation - how hard could it be?

My husband had some questions:"It sounds good, but where do we get 1 sprig rosemary, 1 sprig sage, 3 sprigs thyme? What is mirepoix, which isn't listed in the ingredients? It says make gravy but assumes you know how to do that."

@Sigurd - The "young" part would seem to have relevence here. They're pretty small.
I think a single breast would do me.

We had our roof repaired last fall, by a reputable company that has no record of complaints over a number of years.Roof is leaking, water damage is accumlating, I called them Monday and they aren't the least bit concerned. They tell me they will get to it when they have time.http://ysnesmusings.blogspot.com/2012/05/nationwide-construction.html

I seem to have made a big enough stink about this now. Contractor is going to come out Friday to assess the issue. I'm just hoping we don't get any more heavy rains between now and then. I should not have to get really angry, threaten appropriate legal action, and blast someone all over the internet to get results. I did edit my blog to reflect that someone is coming out on Friday.

My husband had some questions:

"It sounds good' date=' but where do we get 1 sprig rosemary, 1 sprig sage, 3 sprigs thyme? What is mirepoix, which isn't listed in the ingredients? It says make gravy but assumes you know how to do that."[/quote']It does assume you know some things, it's in professional format. Everything I assume you know are basic Culinary terms and techniques that you would learn in your first Professional Cooking class.1. You can buy those herbs at your local grocery store. Every store's Produce department has a section devoted to herbs. You can also find those three herbs packaged together as "poultry blend" or similar names.2. Mirepoix is listed; it's carrots, celery, and onion.3. Yes, it does. Gravy is extremely easy to make, so in a professional environment, I would expect anyone I hire to be able to make it with little instruction. But this isn't a professional environment, so...To make the gravy, take the juices left in the bottom of the pan from your roasting the chicken and pour them into a small pot. Fortify them with chicken stock or broth (you can buy it the Soups isle), or water if you are pressed. Bring them up to a simmer, then create what is called a "slurry," which is a mixture of corn starch and water. In this case, use 1/2 an ounce of corn starch to about 1 ounce of water, then slowly add it into the simmering juices. Be frugal, it's powerful. When you see the mix start to thicken, taste it, correct the seasoning, and serve.(These recipes are written more for my own sake than others. I know what they are saying, but I don't usually adjust them for home-cooking unless someone asks me to clarify something).

Every store's Produce department has a section devoted to herbs.
Unless it's a redneck establishment like the Stater Brothers down the street. :PThe only "herbs" they carry are ground up into tiny little bits and stuffed into plastic bottles.

Every store's Produce department has a section devoted to herbs.

Unless it's a redneck establishment like the Stater Brothers down the street. :P

The only "herbs" they carry are ground up into tiny little bits and stuffed into plastic bottles.

Don't y'all grow this in your gardens?Cripes - damn Yankees, can't cook, don't know what herbs are...I don't know about over there, but here you can buy the plants potted, they grow as houseplants, or you can divide them and put them in your herb garden. You should get six odd months of fresh herbs for things like mint, then you can dry them for the other six months.

Sigurd, I keep forgetting, where is "over here" for you?Not a lot of folks keep herb gardens around here. I don't do a lot of food shopping anywhere other than Stater's so I don't know if the other big chain stores carry their herbs in the produce sections or not. We do have plenty of expensive "organic" stores like Trader Joe's that sell them that way.Plenty of "damn Yankees" know how to cook, and cook well. My mother being one such person. Granted, it's more of a lost art now with the instant gratification culture the US lives in, but there's still plenty of folks who practice the arcane arts :P

Don't y'all grow this in your gardens?Cripes - damn Yankees' date=' can't cook, don't know what herbs are...I don't know about over there, but here you can buy the plants potted, they grow as houseplants, or you can divide them and put them in your herb garden. You should get six odd months of fresh herbs for things like mint, then you can dry them for the other six months.[/quote']*ahem* Passing judgement a little quickly now, are we? Maybe you should try that recipe? whistle.gif Yes, we do sell potted herb plants and seeds. Where I live, rosemary actually grows wild, so it's very easy to grow it in my neighborhood.As for an herb garden, I give you one word: bunnies.I hope you see now why I so enjoy their senseless slaughter. :evil:

I wonder how this recipe would work with rabbit.... innocent.gif