TES V: Skyrim

AndalayBay

So I'm on an adventure in the CK to empower the Player's dragon Shouts, and so far, here is what I have done:Fire Breath: Increased damage and duration for higher level effects.Frost Breath: Increased damage and speed reduction for level 2, level 3 does even more damage and will freeze your opponent solid for 5 seconds.Dragonrend: Deals a beastly amount of temporary Health damage and also stops the target from Shouting for 30 seconds. Recovery time for this shout has been increased to compensate.Elemental Fury: Increased duration for higher tiers of shout.Any other ideas? The shouts I know I will not touch are: Unrelenting Force (it's good as-is), Clear Skies (pointless to alter), Throw Voice (pointless to alter), Call Dragon (good as-is), Summon Durnehviir (good as-is), and Soul Tear (good as-is).

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

What's the reasoning for making Dragonrend do damage, and would that be just to dragons since it isn't supposed to affect anything else?Dragonrend irritates me for one reason and one reason only: It often fails to actually force the dragon to land, which is the whole point of it.

I'm not going to offer an opinion because honestly, I've never used any offensive shout but Unrelenting Force. I don't even see the point of half of them.But, I'd have the same question as Arthmoor about giving Dragonrend damage.

The reason is that by the game's description, Dragonrend forces a dragon to experience mortality, which is an extremely traumatic experience for them as they are immortal and have no concept of it. It is a temporary, but quite large Drain Health effect, it is not permanent damage. The dragon gets all that Health back once the effect ends. That's what it aims to do: make the dragon much weaker for a short period of time (as the lore states it is supposed to do).And yes, the Shout is set up so that only dragons will be affected by it.Hana: This was borne out of the desire to be able to use more than one Shout for offense by making the ones that are underwhelming more viable.

That works for me. I was just concerned that you might have meant allowing it to damage non-dragons.

So. Remember the old Oblivion CS bug where NPCs would randomly get updates to their bound radius values so they weren't non-zero? Skyrim appears to have the opposite. Random NPCs are having their bound radius values zeroed out by the CK.No idea what that's useful for though, so I'm not sure it's really much of anything to worry about.

Need to ask: what does the USKP do to fix the Marked for Death stacking bug? I'm changing the Shout in that personal shout empowerment mod of mine and want to make sure I'm not undoing any USKP fixes.

It modifies VoiceMarkedForDeathArmorEffect01, adding the "Recover" flag to it.That's a Magic Effect btw.

Ive decided to take it upon myself to optimize the PlayerBookShelfContainerScript, whose primary major flaw is that it munches persistent references like nobody's business. My primary concern is to cut down on that script's usage of those. Anything to combat Skyrim's spectacular save bloat problems, after all.

Eventually yes. I'm setting it up to convert a whole bunch of needless properties into regular variables (no other scripts reference them and they do not have a value to start, so there is absolutely no need for them to be properties), and the design philosophy is around releasing the values of those variables when the script doesn't need them anymore (currently the script retains them forever). At the very least 54 persistent references can be eliminated per instance of the script if this works out.My only dilemma is if I should switch to an Actor property for the Player, or keep using game.getPlayer(). If this were a standalone release, I'd probably go with the latter to avoid the need for an ESP to be distributed along with the script, but if it goes into USKP, that won't be a problem.It might result in the bookshelf visibly reloading if it is in view of the front door of your house, but in my eyes, that is a small price to pay for 54 persistent references being axed per instance.

That's a hell of a lot of persistent refs, so I'd be all for anything that can cut down on that.I'd go with having the player as a property. Game.GetPlayer() is a resource hog. It's not exactly difficult for someone to set the property if they use the script. :)

For my next published work:Remember all those months ago when I said I would be moving quest-locked Word Walls out of those dungeons and putting them someplace else? Well, now that I have some good experience with NavMeshing, I am going to be going ahead with that.The first Word Wall I moved was for Snow Veil Sanctum's Disarm wall, which I have moved outside and placed it on a small stone terrace where it is guarded by a couple of Ice-Wraiths. Now I'm setting it up so that the various Radiant quests will point to it (pretty easy, actually), and I'll be moving on to the next walls.A couple exceptions first:Drain Vitality is going to become fully quest-locked, as in you can only obtain that Shout by playing through Dawnguard.Storm Call is going to receive Main Quest exclusivity, and will only be available in Skuldafn. All three words will be available there. It will now serve as a MQ reward.Here's where the Word Walls will be moved so far (more to come):Arcwind Point (Drain Vitality, Dawnguard): Moved to the Soul Cairn.Snow Veil Sanctum (Disarm): Moved outside.Saarthal (Ice Form): Moved to Arcwind Point.Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary (Marked for Death): Moved to Forelhost.Labyrinthian (Slow Time): Moved to High Gate Ruins.Dustman's Cairn (Fire Breath): Moved to Blind Cliff Towers (Exterior)Korvanjund (Slow Time): New location unknown.

Sounds like a good plan to me, I'd definitely use the mod for my next play through.Make sure you have the properties in place on whatever goes to Arcwind Point. That shout is broken in Dawnguard because the property for the marker wasn't assigned. Bethesda's QA had to be asleep at the wheel to miss that.Now to figure out why the CK has decided it wants to crash when trying to load any outdoor cell. You know that shader error everyone always ignores? It's crashing on me now when I ignore it.

Arcwind Point Word Wall is in place, and you'll be pleased to hear that unlike Bethesda, I did not forget to point the WordWallTriggerScript to the LocationRefType marker. :tongue: