• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

A Creation Kit update was released today. It didn't change the editor at all, what it did do was provide the source code for Dawnguard's scripts. They are located in Data/Scripts/Source/Dawnguard.Thanks, Beth. :grinning:

Yep, the only confusing bit is that the stuff in that folder wasn't all changed by DG. Makes you wonder, but still happy to have them just the same.

Here's an idea for managing Script Source files when modding: use BAIN.I've just created packages for Skyrim's script source files and Dawnguard's (as well as SKSE's, which I've had for some time now). Now, when I want to deal with Dawnguard modding, I just install the Dawnguard source package, and when I'm done and heading back to Skyrim, uninstall Dawnguard's source and I'm back to the vanilla scripts.Simple enough. Once again, BAIN shows its usefulness in more than just installing mods.

Yep, that's one way to do it. I found it easier just to set up dedicated installs, but that was mainly to keep mod development out of the way of the USKP and UDGP.

Okay, gotta say this: Beth, you hit a stroke of genius with allowing us to hot-swap textures for the models in the editor. Texture Sets + alternate textures for models = a huge cut on workload for retexturing items, and removes the need to repackage the models as well..

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the insanity of the water height bug from Oblivion that set cells randomly to -2147483648.000000? Skyrim's cells all have this from the start. Guess what problem Skyrim has? It randomly sets cell water heights to 0. Exactly the opposite problem :P

*Wonders where the rabbit has been lately**Dangles a carrot*Dwip honey, can I port your path stones resource to Skyrim?

Short answer is, not playing Skyrim so not much to say.Long answer is, totally out of my head on dental drugs, and when I'm not I'm either playing Battletech with my RL peeps or Battlefield 3, neither of which I have too much to say about. I am an incredibly dull rabbit at the present time, alas.I'm not sure if you CAN port the path stones to Skyrim, as they're basically just arranged versions of Oblivion assets. Isn't that sort of thing still in no go territory? I don't have much of an issue with it, but Beth might.

Awww, poor bunny :(I wasn't aware, besides the textures, that the mesh was partial asset. Of course that's not allowed, so I'll make my own. :)

Beth probably would have an issue with it, since they are original Oblivion models.But really, Skyrim doesn't need a port of those. What I ended up doing is using the Road Chunk meshes Skyrim already provides with the ground portion retextured (which Skyrim makes very easy with Texture Sets). Got the job done nicely.

Skyrim: Rocky Mountains editionWhy do those look... right? Is it because I just prefer the Rocky-style brown colors over the original drab gray? Or maybe because the mountains in Skyrim with their dramatic steep slopes and pointed tops were actually inspired by mountains in Alaska the Swiss Alps (Scandinavian mountains have more of a "roll" to them and are much smoother)?

Possibly because, as the author says, real mountains aren't grey? :PI've been thinking about installing that one myself. Especially since Brumbek fixed a lot of the UV mapping issues with those giant rocks.

Just be warned there is an issue with the speculars on the wet rocks being extremely bright right now with that mod (but it should be ignorable).

So has anyone noticed that the trend is already starting with major mods only issuing updates that are dependent on DLC? When I was looking for New Vegas mods that was something that royally pissed me off and isn't something I want to see start happening in Skyrim.

Because Papyrus can burn in Oblivion for how much damage it has done to Skyrim modding. I'd be happy to go back to the old scripting' date=' since we wouldn't have to put up with half the *shablamz!* we have to tolerate when using Papyrus.Yes, I recognize the advantages, but I do not feel they were worth the cost in save stability we had to pay.Anyways, this is getting off topic now, so this is the last I will say on this.[/quote']Yes, off topic over there, but not here :)I'm not sure I'd go quite so far as you on this. Yes, it's got some serious pain in the ass problems to overcome, but I see most of the problem with it in people trying to use it like this is still Oblivion or Fallout. Most of the save contamination issues are due to badly constructed continuous loop scripts.I'd love to have a clean save free of old scripts as much as the next person, but I think the gains made outweigh some of the crap we're putting up with. Being able to share scripts between mods without needing a common master file is pretty cool all by itself. Properties are rather useful to being able to do that.

Oh, and in case anyone was interested, here is a nice INI tweak for the Creation Kit (add to both SkyrimEditor.INI and SkyrimEditorPrefs.INI):bAllowLoadGrass=0bAllowCreateGrass=1bDrawShaderGrass=1This allows the generated grass to update automatically as you edit. Something previous editors sorely needed. Makes it really easy to track down and eliminate grass bleed.

Oh, forgot to mention, they go under the [GRASS] section.And because those exist, I think I will bite the bullet and ask if future USKP versions can include grass bleed fixes? Since it only takes a couple seconds to fix those with the above entries.

Thanks for those, they'll come in quite handy.I'm leery of introducing landscape fixes since the chance of causing an unnecessary tear somewhere runs pretty high once those start coming in. It's one of the reasons the UOP got rid of them all after awhile. People were ending up having to make patches for UOP compatibility because of it in all the instances where a fix had to cross cell borders.