NMM Must Be Excised

Mael

What are you guys using for mod management? I assume some combination of Wrye Bash and something else? Could I get a rundown? I'm not happy with the way that NMM works -- instead of updating a file, it just downloads another copy and then I have to disable and delete the old one and activate the new one.I know I thought WB was a pain in the ass, but it sure did work right once I figured it out.

I really don't care either way. If people want to use an inferior tool because they don't want to really understand the intricacies of modding these games (because it's too much reading) and thusly accept all the problems this will likely cause, it is not my place to tell them different. I recommend they do, of course, but I have no interest in changing minds.

Do keep in mind though that until Wrye Bash is updated again, the public version (ie, not the SVN) does not handle the load ordering in Skyrim properly if you're using patch 1.4.27 or 1.5.24. Which the majority of players are of course using thanks to the gaming police.NMM handles load order properly though, which I guess is ironic since NMM is lacking in plenty of other ways and you'd obviously still need Bash to make bashed patches and shit.Really though, there's nothing else right now. Bash or NMM is it. BOSS isn't even updated yet to handle the load ordering change in 1.4.27.

Wrye Bash. My usage of OBMM suffered a long, slow death when I used to mod Oblivion, and now its just down to Wrye Bash. otho, All my friends who install mods use NMM because it seems like the easy option to them.

Do keep in mind though that until Wrye Bash is updated again' date=' the public version (ie, not the SVN) does not handle the load ordering in Skyrim properly if you're using patch 1.4.27 or 1.5.24. Which the majority of players are of course using thanks to the gaming police.

NMM handles load order properly though, which I guess is ironic since NMM is lacking in plenty of other ways and you'd obviously still need Bash to make bashed patches and shit.

Really though, there's nothing else right now. Bash or NMM is it. BOSS isn't even updated yet to handle the load ordering change in 1.4.27.[/quote']And even more shit hit the fan with the change in ONAM format that 1.5.24 added. Bash is teetering on the edge of a cliff now, and I'm afraid that if it doesn't receive an update soon, it will fade into obscurity just as Wrye Flash did for Fallout.

Which doesn't need to be the case. Wrye Bash is open source, the SVN is public. All one needs to do is learn Python (which ain't easy btw, I've tried).Lojack's laptop died, and his internet jumped off a bridge because of it. He's not been able to do much dev work lately. Hijacking public wi-fi isn't the most ideal method to connect.ONAM format didn't actually change. It's exactly the same as it was when those records were introduced in FO3. Update.esm just didn't have them until patch 1.5.24.That said, Bash isn't the only thing in danger right now. BOSS is being held up because wrinklyninja is being too perfectionist about a couple of corner case issues that most users won't hit. The longer this goes on, the more user frustration there is being generated with these tools, and the easier it becomes for certain rogue elements to capitalize on that and convince people all tools are bad.

I understand the circumstances that Lojack is under, but sadly the vast majority of the mod userbase doesn't care, which is why I'm worried. I've installed the latest SVN for Bash, myself, so I'm set.And let's hope that day doesn't come when those certain inflammatory individuals come knocking.

There are two options that you get when updating through NMM. If you click yes, it will install the new mod and uninstall the old mod. If you are just doing an update that doesn't replace the mod but adds to it, then click no and on the next screen click yes to all to have the files copy over the current install and you won't lose any of the other files in that mod.

• 1 month later...

I no longer use NMM.I use BUM, http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1310479-relz-boss-userlist-manager-for-skyrim/, to manage BOSS and I use BAIN 295.5 (python version) to install and activate mods.You can see my rant on that unprofessional piece of crap that is NMM here: http://ysnesmusings.blogspot.com/2012/04/warning-about-nexus-mod-manager.html