Is my GPU dying?

Hana

So I've been raging most of the weekend, trying to actually play Oblivion, mod testing, and discovered to my horror that after about 20-30 mins, my PC would shut itself off for unknown reasons. Not a crash, a full power shut down.To add to that, after about 5 mins in game, my FPS crawls down to 10 in exteriors and pretty much stays there. I've never had an FPS problem before. I no longer use QTP3, I use OSR, my distance settings are around 60%. I shouldn't have any issues at all.Why do I think it's the GPU? Well, about a week ago, I was on the TESA site and suddenly saw a bunch of green dotted lines covering the top right corner of the page. I asked Rider if he was doing some funky new design but nope, after a refresh it was gone.Just now, I got something similar, looks like this... green dotted line down near the bottom. Now, just when that happened I heard a fan go off. Wasn't a case fan either, they're all still running. I've been hearing this random fan go off frequently.So... I dunno. Is this a problem or just random artifacts? Any other ways to test it?

Run a game session for about 15 minutes or so. Don't push too hard, but then exit out and as quickly as you can get whatever temperature monitoring thing you have opened up and see if the GPU temp is high. I know I should remember, but if you have an ATI card, CCC is excellent for this.Also, probably as good a time as any to get hold of a can of compressed air to do some dusting inside the case. Dust is the enemy, and heat its weapon. Especially if you're hearing fans kicking on and off.My terrible eyesight isn't seeing this green line you're talking about in the shot btw.

No green dotted line for me either!!But yeah, it could be a heat issue. And if your graphics card overheats, your machine will shut down immediately. If your graphics card has a fan on it, have a look and make sure its still running. It probably is, or you wouldn't be able to run the machine at all (I had that happen), but if the fan isn't running full speed, then it might not shut down for a bit.

Heh, that pic turned out too small to notice, oh well.I have can of air in hand and ready to happily graffiti all over the insides of my box. That probably is one of the reasons for overheating, even though both sides of the case are open and have been for some time, I'm sure it's still sucking in all the cat hair it can find roaming around my house.I guess they provide those software support programs for motherboards for a reason, eh? I best install their little monitoring thingy and give it a go.

It's actually possible for your case to be hotter without the sides on. Depends on the case and your fan set-up, but well designed cases are meant to suck cool air in from the front and sides and expell the hot air out the back.Certainly if you load up one of those monitoring utilities, you'll be able to test that.

Also, I speak from experience (sadly), cat hair + PCs = disaster. Clean that puppy out and get those case sides back on. Some intake filters would help a lot here.

Isn't it amazing that PC's are better than vacuum cleaners for picking up cat hair? I even created filters out of cheesecloth because my case doesn't have filters over every port.

I think it's an even more fascinating subject to explore why the hell it's called cheesecloth. Certainly doesn't taste like cheese :P

I think it's an even more fascinating subject to explore why the hell it's called cheesecloth. Certainly doesn't taste like cheese :P
I couldn't say - I've never tried eating it! :lol: Is this a lizard thing?Yeah, it is used during cheese making, as Thomas said. Makes a great filter because it traps fur and dust, but isn't so tight to affect air flow. Hard to work with though...