Random Stuff

Arthmoor

So, some idiot pilot decided to choose this morning to do a couple supersonic fly-bys of my house. Talk about a rude awakening, sounded like a friggin earthquake.And I thought supersonic flight was illegal over land?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

So' date=' some idiot pilot decided to choose this morning to do a couple supersonic fly-bys of my house. Talk about a rude awakening, sounded like a friggin earthquake.

And I thought supersonic flight was illegal over land?[/quote']I've had lots of rude awakenings over the years. Not by an idiot pilot doing supersonic fly-bys of my house.

So' date=' some idiot pilot decided to choose this morning to do a couple supersonic fly-bys of my house. Talk about a rude awakening, sounded like a friggin earthquake.

And I thought supersonic flight was illegal over land?[/quote']I think it's just populated areas. Do you live in the middle of nowhere? :grinning:

I'm only 5 miles out from Albuquerque, so I'm still pretty close to a populated area. Unless he was flying in a transsonic-approved zone, he was in violation of the law.I can handle the 10 helicopters that like to pass over every month or so, but this is the first time I've actually had someone pull a sonic boom on me, and I've lived in this house for about 6 years now?He was at least two miles away when he was flying past, and I'm quite certain the boom traveled much farther than that. Concorde's Sonic Boom had at least a 5 mile (nautical) radius (trans-sonic often occurred at about 30000 feet). This was a military jet about half the size of Concorde, so that does mean the sonic boom radius is smaller, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was heard by people four miles away.

I'm only 5 miles out from Albuquerque' date=' so I'm still pretty close to a populated area. Unless he was flying in a transsonic-approved zone, he was in violation of the law.

I can handle the 10 helicopters that like to pass over every month or so, but this is the first time I've actually had someone pull a sonic boom on me, and I've lived in this house for about 6 years now?

He was at least two miles away when he was flying past, and I'm quite certain the boom traveled much farther than that. Concorde's Sonic Boom had at least a 5 mile (nautical) radius (trans-sonic often occurred at about 30000 feet). This was a military jet about half the size of Concorde, so that does mean the sonic boom radius is smaller, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was heard by people four miles away.[/quote']Yeah, it sounds like he shouldn't be hitting subsonic speeds near you. Those things can be pretty bloody loud anyway, sonic boom or not.

I didn't hear it, but I was pretty dead to the world this morning too. (I happen to be in Rio Rancho this weekend for my wife's grandmother's funeral.)

Six tries, but the quest works.Yay.Now I think I'll go another six years before doing another one.

I didn't hear it' date=' but I was pretty dead to the world this morning too. (I happen to be in Rio Rancho this weekend for my wife's grandmother's funeral.)[/quote']My parents didn't hear it the first time, either.I gues it was because I Was already half awake before things went BOOM.Second time, though, they were up.And right now, I can only wonder how many people scared that a bomb might have gone off have dialed 911. whistle.gif

I didn't hear it' date=' but I was pretty dead to the world this morning too. (I happen to be in Rio Rancho this weekend for my wife's grandmother's funeral.)[/quote']Aww, sorry to hear that hon. Give Dragona our best and a hug.

* Idiot forum poster makes insulting remarks about someone's work.* Gets called on it. I'm the bad guy.* Uses sockpuppet accounts to defend himself with.* I'm the asshole.* W T F ?

Started off well enough, I thought, but went south somewhere past post #9. I really don't think what I had to say there warranted the insulting response that got back, or the exchange that followed.

I didn't hear it' date=' but I was pretty dead to the world this morning too. (I happen to be in Rio Rancho this weekend for my wife's grandmother's funeral.)[/quote']My parents didn't hear it the first time' date=' either.I gues it was because I Was already half awake before things went BOOM.Second time, though, they were up.And right now, I can only wonder how many people scared that a bomb might have gone off have dialed 911. [img']http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img]
I'm sure the 911 operators had a blast with that one. As loud as the a/c unit in this room is, it might be the reason we didn't hear it, but we were pretty dead to the world too. :shrug:
I didn't hear it' date=' but I was pretty dead to the world this morning too. (I happen to be in Rio Rancho this weekend for my wife's grandmother's funeral.)[/quote'] Aww' date=' sorry to hear that hon. Give Dragona our best and a hug.[/quote']Thanks, I will do, I'm sure she'll appreciate it, they were actually pretty close.
* Idiot forum poster makes insulting remarks about someone's work. * Gets called on it. I'm the bad guy. * Uses sockpuppet accounts to defend himself with. * I'm the asshole. * W T F ?
Hmm, honestly, that sounds pretty familiar. At least it wasn't at MB or TMC this time. ;)

Started off well enough' date=' I thought, but went south somewhere past post #9. I really don't think what I had to say there warranted the insulting response that got back, or the exchange that followed.[/quote']Arthmoor, you took his initial comments way too personally. And starting off by calling people who don't want to learn how to install Wrye Bash lazy is not going to set a good tone.Wrye Bash is bloody hard to use and it is intimidating. I get people asking me how to get it up and running all the time. I can take them through the initial stages, but if they run into trouble, I can't help them any further. We have a Black Marsh team member now who can't get Bash running and I can't help her. She posted her problem in the DBC thread on DC because she was trying to install it to resolve an issue with Arquen.I can't even get the SVN to work so I'm stuck with 295.5. Wrinkly did ask me to run it with debugging turned on and I will do that when I have the time to try again.Anyway way too much name calling in that thread and you aren't doing anything to help Bash's reputation in that battle.

Started off well enough' date=' I thought' date=' but went south somewhere past post #9. I really don't think what I had to say there warranted the insulting response that got back, or the exchange that followed.[/quote'']

Arthmoor, you took his initial comments way too personally. And starting off by calling people who don't want to learn how to install Wrye Bash lazy is not going to set a good tone.

Wrye Bash is bloody hard to use and it is intimidating. I get people asking me how to get it up and running all the time. I can take them through the initial stages, but if they run into trouble, I can't help them any further. We have a Black Marsh team member now who can't get Bash running and I can't help her. She posted her problem in the DBC thread on DC because she was trying to install it to resolve an issue with Arquen.

I can't even get the SVN to work so I'm stuck with 295.5. Wrinkly did ask me to run it with debugging turned on and I will do that when I have the time to try again.

Anyway way too much name calling in that thread and you aren't doing anything to help Bash's reputation in that battle.

It would also be nice if you would stop calling anyone who is hesitant to learn BASH lazy. That does even more damage than all the fussing by the others who got mad at you in that now closed thread. While it is true that some people are lazy, most of us are not.

Started off well enough' date=' I thought' date=' but went south somewhere past post #9. I really don't think what I had to say there warranted the insulting response that got back, or the exchange that followed.[/quote'']

Arthmoor, you took his initial comments way too personally. And starting off by calling people who don't want to learn how to install Wrye Bash lazy is not going to set a good tone.

Wrye Bash is bloody hard to use and it is intimidating. I get people asking me how to get it up and running all the time. I can take them through the initial stages, but if they run into trouble, I can't help them any further. We have a Black Marsh team member now who can't get Bash running and I can't help her. She posted her problem in the DBC thread on DC because she was trying to install it to resolve an issue with Arquen.

I can't even get the SVN to work so I'm stuck with 295.5. Wrinkly did ask me to run it with debugging turned on and I will do that when I have the time to try again.

Anyway way too much name calling in that thread and you aren't doing anything to help Bash's reputation in that battle.

I have to agree - much as I appreciate that its easy to lose patience with people, there is really no need to use words like "lazy" in the first instance. It sets the tone for a slanging match.Having said that, the guy did sound a bit like a dick and his avatar flat out pissed me off.

Arthmoor' date=' you took his initial comments way too personally.[/quote']Yes, probably true, but hey. Nature of the lizard etc.
And starting off by calling people who don't want to learn how to install Wrye Bash lazy is not going to set a good tone.
I'm not sure what else you could call someone who doesn't want to learn it then. Especially when faced with the fact that it's required for leveled list merging. There's no other method available. No other tool offers it. Refusing to learn to use it is either grossly ignorant or flat out lazy.
Wrye Bash is bloody hard to use and it is intimidating. I get people asking me how to get it up and running all the time. I can take them through the initial stages, but if they run into trouble, I can't help them any further.
The difference here is that the people you're trying to help are willing to put forth the effort. They're asking questions. They're making an attempt to follow what you're telling them. That, to me, is a huge and significant difference. Your team member is not lazy. She's putting forth effort. Technical barriers are a whole other beast.
Same here. You're not being lazy and simply refusing to try. You're running into what is arguably a very frustrating situation that unfortunately neither of us can help you with. Although your last post on the official thread indicates it worked itself out. I am quite familiar with the hair pulling madness that ensues when shit like this happens.
It's not name calling to point out when people are truly being lazy.@Ysne: Not sure who all got mad, because as far as I could see, only the sockpuppet user did so and the mods apparently didn't appreciate that. In fact, given the kind of forum user that guys is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he reported the thread himself in an effort to avoid having that pointed out.People who refuse to learn the program are lazy. I'm sorry, but there's no other explanation for it.

Arthmoor' date=' you took his initial comments way too personally.[/quote']

Yes' date=' probably true, but hey. Nature of the lizard etc.

And starting off by calling people who don't want to learn how to install Wrye Bash lazy is not going to set a good tone.

I'm not sure what else you could call someone who doesn't want to learn it then. Especially when faced with the fact that it's required for leveled list merging. There's no other method available. No other tool offers it. Refusing to learn to use it is either grossly ignorant or flat out lazy.

That may be true, but you don't need to call them that. I'd just ignore it and try to encourage as many people as possible to try it. The heavy handed tactics are just convincing others that it's too hard to learn and they don't even want to try. That's what I meant when I said you aren't helping Bash's cause.You don't know for a fact that that guy is truly lazy, so you're calling him a name. And besides, even if he is, you aren't accomplishing anything by calling him that. Forget about him. What about the other people reading that thread? Put yourself in the position of a spokesperson for Bash. It needs good press, not yelling at idiots. :wink: Yes, I did fix my Bash problem, so I'm on 296 now. Not sure why running in debug mode fixed it, but there you go. I sent the SVN repackaged slightly to Ysne and she might give it a try tomorrow.Now if I could only fix Jet's problem...

There's strong enough evidence that he's lazy. Since I'm not a court of law, I don't have to adhere to legal thresholds to draw a conclusion :) Point taken though.Your guess is as good as mine on why debug mode changed anything. Python code is worse than trying to read Greek. Half of what I've scoured lately looks like gibberish.Also, this topic is plenty long enough now. Time to go drum up a new one!